1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Cool Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I presently have the following DirecTV equipment installed at our home:

-7 HR2X Dual tuner HD DVR's with dual COAX to each and CAT 5 to each
-Zinwell WB618 multi switch with 14 ports used for the 7 HD DVR'
-Slimline 5 Dish with 4 COAX's to the Zinwell

If I upgrade one of the HR2X's above to a HR-34 what additional equipment will be required?

I understand that the new HR-34 with 5 tuners and 6 other Dual tuner DVR's would have to total of 17 tuners. If I implement a whole home config., then clearly 17 would be overkill and I would be happy to live with less active tuners.

In point of fact, I would only require "whole home" connectivity between the HR-34 and a HR 23 and HR 21 if this will reduce the additional equipment and complexity.

Thank in advance and regards,

jcthomas

· Registered
12,607 Posts
You would need to convert to a Single Wire Multiswitch setup if you add an HR34 because that DVR cannot be used on your current setup. And you would need to deactivate one of your current HD DVRs, or disable some DVR tuners, to avoid exceeding the 16-tuner SWM maximum (with a SWM16 switch).

Best to let DirecTV handle this "upgrade" for you. They'll replace your Zinwell with a SWM16 and appropriate SWM splitters as part of the HR34 installation, probably for much less money than buying all of that stuff yourself.

· Cool Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the feedback litzdog. I have been a happy customer of DirecTV since they first launched their service (18 yrs +/- ?). But I have done my own installs from day one and two of moves in between. In the early days the installers often had a lot to be desired (improper grounding/bonding etc). Your point is well taken and I am sure that DirecTV will make an good upgrade offer and with I understand that many of the installers today are much better than the "good old days". I would, however, like to know more in detail the equipment required for my install and what, if any, prep I can do before the DirecTV installer arrives to ensure a smooth transition to the HR-24 and whole home.

Thank you again for your feedback and the attacked config. of your system.

Regards

· Save the Clock Tower!!
2,257 Posts
You can easily turn one of the HR2x DVRs into a single tuner DVR, to bring the tuner count down to 16. The Zinwell multiswitch would be replaced by a SWiM-16.

The SWiM-16 has two output ports, each capable of serving 8 tuners. You would need two 4-way green label splitters, one connected to each output port.

A power inserter is required to power the SWiM-16 and it can be connected to the dedicated power port or the SWiM 1 output. I would put the HR34 and two HR2x DVRs (including the one configured to use a single tuner) on the SWiM 1 output. The other 4 DVRs would be connected to the SWiM 2 output. Each box now only uses a single coax.

All pre HR24 DVRs will need a white DECA to be on the coax network.

There are some maximum coax lengths with SWiM. VOS has a cool pic with details ...

· Hall Of Fame
4,992 Posts
When the installers came to install my HR34 I asked if I would of had 17 tuners what they would of did and I was told they would of installed another SWM 16. Not sure how they would of pulled that one off but that is what I was told. Thank goodness I only have 15 tuners.

· Cool Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank to all for the additional feedback. I can see how one SWM16 port would be plenty for our needs.

In the proposed config. of the HR-34, HR23, HR21 and 4 HR-20's, I would prefer to have the "whole home" available only to the HR34, 23, and 21 which I assume it is possible and would save some equipment. Is this assumption true?

Also, my cable runs are all modest: 50' for dish to multiswitch and less than 60' from the multiswiitch to all receivers. I understand that these COAX lengths are ok with the SWM16 and the power inserted at the SWM18. Is this true?

Thank you to all and regards.

jcthomas

· Cool Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
As suggested, I have contacted DirecTV and they have scheduled an upgrade for me next week to the HR-34.

This will be a new experience for someone else to install DirecTV equipment in our home rather than me.

One additional question please.

I have an OTA antenna on its own COAX network to three TVs (not di-plexed or connected to any of the HR 2x's. I use the OTA when there is rain fade on Directv during storms. i have excellent reception on the OTA antennas and slightly better PQ on OTA locals.

DirecTV is including an OTA tuner for the HR-34 which I understand would allow me to record OTA from the antenna. This would allow my wife to record her favorite programs on the locals even the rain fade intrudes. Is this true, I could become a hero and we all know that "if mama ain't happy there ain't NOBODY happy". I hope the forum can validate this.

And again, thanks in advance.

jcthomas

· Cool Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
$50 for the AM21 and a chance to be a "hero" with the wife? Sounds like a good deal to me. If the AM21 is installed on the HR-34 with "whole home" implemented, will OTA recordings be able to be played back on other HR2X's on the network? Does the AM21 count as a tuner on the SWM16?

Regards,

· This Space for Sale
7,436 Posts
Yes on the recordings, no on it counting as a tuner. If that is going to make you a hero, it will be well worth the price.

Edit...one correction to your statement...you'll be able to watch those OTA recordings on any device on your whole house system, not just the DVRs.

· Cool Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
trh said:
Yes on the recordings, no on it counting as a tuner. If that is going to make you a hero, it will be well worth the price.

Edit...one correction to your statement...you'll be able to watch those OTA recordings on any device on your whole house system, not just the DVRs.
Understood trh.

My wife has low expectations of me, so it does not take much to rise to "hero" status.
Avoiding rain fade on one of her favorite programs should do the trick.

Regards,

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.