DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Geek til I die
9,821 Posts
Keep calling until you get a better offer, or say CANCEL at the first two automated prompts which will connect you to the retention department, and plead your case.

Since you have the protection plan, just tell them you want a service call. THat would be the best. Then you can face to face explain to the tech, who probably would be in a better position to get you a new receiver. All DirecTv will do is mail you another HR20 more than likely.

·
Geek til I die
9,821 Posts
ron mexico75 said:
Ok, maybe I'll just go the wanting a new model upgrade route. Even if the slow response issue was fixed or a new 20 was sent, I want a new model that is capable of displaying the new guide format I received an email about from dtv.

About a year ago I was solicited for an upgrade but declined at the time because I didn't see any benefits.

You think that's worth a shot?
Yea, well I was guessing, perhaps incorrectly, that your unit was failing and was causing your slowdown issues. As the above poster noted, you WILL get the new GUI that will speed up the HR20. And, the HR20 is the second fastest box, despite being the oldest. Only the HR24 is faster. I would wait for the new GUI, and then decide, since after February, the new HR34 5 tuner model will be available to customers (think pimped out HR24). If I was going to renew my 2 yr contract for an upgrade, that would be the box to hold out for.

Now, if you want 3D and have a 3D tv, they will replace the HR20, since it cannot do 3D, however, the box they send you will likely be even slower.

·
Geek til I die
9,821 Posts
ron mexico75 said:
Ok man I appreciate it.

By the way, if I do ask for an upgrade from what I currently have, I assume the choice isn't mine. What would they send?
Whatever they have, but in the case of an HR20, since it has an OTA tuner, they try to replace it with another HR20. If they dont have any, you get whatever is at the top of the stack.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.