DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Legend
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My hr21-700 is failing.I am eligible for a "free" upgrade from Directv. (Protection plan)
They have offered me a genie system (master and 2 clients)

My system is :Hr21-700 (failing)
Hr20-100
Hr22-100
Wired (unsupported) whole home dvr (ethernet thru linksys e1200 router)
non-SWM 4 coax lead lnb into 4x8 multi-switch
no ota
the Hr-22 is in my daughters bedroom and we don't share her playlist. (She records so much our playlist would be buried)
i plan on keeping one of the hr's and get one genie and client.

Which hr would you recomend to keep? (i lean towards the Hr22 due to its size.
Will i have to upgrade to a CCK with the Genie and lose the ethernet connection?
Will i need to upgrade to a SWM?
Thanks for any advice.

· Genius.
19,830 Posts
I would def keep AT LEAST one HDDVR. you MUST have SWM in order to get the Genie as it only works on SWM. to connect to the inter webs with the Genie you can either connect directly to your router via ethernet or you can use a BroadBand DECA. the only difference is that the latter is an approved connection method by DirecTV while the former is not.

· Icon
2,696 Posts
Since your daughter apparently has a lot recorded on her HR22, that I'm assuming that she doesn't want to lose, I'd keep that one. If she doesn't mind losing recordings, I'd tell the tech that all of your DVR's are slow and ask him if he has an HR24 on his truck and if he can swap it out with the HR22. An offer of a gratuity might help grease the wheels should he be reluctant.

· Registered
9,461 Posts
mduby43 said:
My hr21-700 is failing.I am eligible for a "free" upgrade from Directv. (Protection plan)
They have offered me a genie system (master and 2 clients)
That is their sales pitch. Don't swing at it.

I would see what they send you to replace the dead HR21 first. While a long shot, you could get a HR24.

After that pick which HR2x is giving you the worst performance and get it replace with their FREE Genie upgrade.

Now as to replacing any HR2x with Minis -- I am total against this. But their are members here who will tell ya to go for it.

As to SWiM, Genie is a SWiM only.

· Genius.
19,830 Posts
Drucifer said:
That is their sales pitch. Don't swing at it.

I would see what they send you to replace the dead HR21 first. While a long shot, you could get a HR24.

After that pick which HR2x is giving you the worst performance and get it replace with their FREE Genie upgrade.

Now as to replacing any HR2x with Minis -- I am total against this. But their are members here who will tell ya to go for it.

As to SWiM, Genie is a SWiM only.
Why go "round N round" when the TS can get this done on the same visit as bill mentioned above

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.