DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Legend/Supporter
Joined
·
262 Posts
I would base this decision on (1) the past history of YOUR particular 501 and (2) your intestinal fortitude.

I personally allow my 501 to take all upgrades. Now I am normally not at hard-core bleeding edge kind of guy but MY 501 has virtually always worked flawlessly. It has been a long time since I have seen any trouble from my unit...so I have not experienced many of the apparently upgrade-induced problems that others have seen. In that respect I say let it rock (although ANY particular update could be the killer)
Even given this though, if I were one to worry about it much I probably would NOT allow immediate upgrades and would let some others test it out first. But the problem with "ask permission" is that if you have a timer that is ready to fire for recording and the 501 pops up a screen aking "accept download?"...your timer may not fire because the 501 seems to need to get a response to IT'S question before it will do anything else.
These are the major issues that I am aware of - so if your 501 has been stable and reliable I would say let it do it's thing. Besides, you'll get forced into it within a couple weeks anyway, it seems.
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
2,014 Posts
I'm with EvanS... I've never had any problems with software upgrades..... as always, YMMV.
 
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top