DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to upgrade my Directv receivers. Been a long time customer as you can tell from my equipment. I have HR20-700 and Dvr R10. Does it require a phone line (I have one now but would like to eliminate if not needed)? Does it require internet? I have 6MB internet currently but in a different room from the receivers. I do have cable coax in all the rooms including where I have internet.

What should I ask for or expect? I would like to be able to see recordings in all the rooms. I can upgrade the internet speed if needed (I have held off pending whether I need the phone line).

I want new equipment I can use for a while. Don't want old stuff.

· Genius.
19,830 Posts
You would want a Genie and a Genie mini. No phone line is needed unless you want CID. Otherwise you can connect the DirecTV® system to the net for some very cool features

· Hall Of Famer
1,833 Posts
First of all Welcome jrsac
I would try to speak with Customer Retention Dept, as they have more power to give you better offers and discounts than CSR's

Just say "contract end date" or "cancel service" on the prompt, which should take you directly to them, And since you've been a customer for a long time, They could throw in a lot of goodies possibly free upgrades and bill credits,

I would definitely get the Genie DVR, but it's not guaranteed to which specific models you'll get, It could be either HR34 or HR44

but it's a whole lot better than what you currently got, Only way to know which you'll get is if you schedule the upgrade installation,

and the tech calls before he arrives, to which you ask what model Genie he haves in his truck,

Good news is that most techs install newer equipment unless they run out, but you can always decline the install if they have the older HR34, and reschedule in hopes that they carry HR44 next time.

Reactions: John Strk

· Hall Of Famer
1,833 Posts
Also phone line or internet is not required for any receivers, unless you need Caller ID on your TV screen
but it's good to have internet for Whole-Home service TV Apps, watch On Demand shows, or listen to Pandora or watch Youtube video's,

· "Jack Of All Trades, Master Of Some"
834 Posts
Just to clarify what others said, you can use whole home dvr (MRV) without internet, but the receivers do need to be networked someway, just VOD won't work

· 2014 NBA CHAMPIONS!
1,766 Posts
jrsac said:
I do have cable coax in all the rooms including where I have internet.
If you have a coax line in their that is not currently being utilized for internet service then I would have the technician install a wired CCK their for internet connectivity for all your receivers. Wired connection is always best whenever possible. :righton:

· Genius.
19,830 Posts
mexican-bum said:
Just to clarify what others said, you can use whole home dvr (MRV) without internet, but the receivers do need to be networked someway, just VOD won't work
That is exactly what DECA does

· Genius.
19,830 Posts
Awesome. Keep us posted

· Hall Of Famer
1,833 Posts
Also it's not necessary to upgrade your internet speed, unless your plan to download and watch plenty OD shows and movies

Everything's included with the upgrade installation, So they will install all the equipment that's needed for Whole Home or SWM upgrade if you're not on SWM system, which only requires 1 coax to every receiver instead of 2,

They'll remove BBC's (B-Band Converter) on HD receivers if you're still on non SWM.
All included in the $49 install fee or free install.

· Genius.
19,830 Posts
Awesome. Thanks for the update.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.