Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Cool Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, n00b here.

I currently subcribe to the 180 plus we have HBO and HD Channels. I would love to upgrade to the HD Gold package plus HBO, but I cant really handle the small increase right now in the bill. I have the older HD receiver, so I would need the new one, I have the DVR that controls 2 tv's and then one receiver for another tv.

I read in a thread somewhere on here that someone was going to upgrade to the Silver package I think and it wasnt going to cost them anymore. Should it cost me any more per month if I upgrade? Or am I just not "tough" enough with the Dish operator? :lol:

·
Hall Of Fame
2,114 Posts
You didn't say if you had an HD DVR (the "one receiver" could be the one displaying the HD channels you mention). If you do have a 942, you can't be too much of a n00b.

If you subscribe to the older HD Pack (is that what "and HD Channels" means?), the HD Gold package will be $10/month more than AT180 + HD Pack. Anyone signing up for DishHD package for the first time can qualify for a $10/month credit for 10 months. That may be the "no increase" mentioned, but after 10 months, it does increase. It actually increases right away and you need to wait for the "rebate" to kick in. But you would be out the $199 to upgrade to a 622. Less if you want the new HD receiver that isn't a DVR (ViP 211). If you do have a 942 HD DVR at the moment, it is probably owned and not leased so you could sell it to offset the $199. DISH does offer $100 if you turn it in, but you can get more than that (IF it is owned).

·
Cool Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have the 811, sorry, took me awhile to find the HD receiver I have. Yes, I subscribe to the older HD Pack. I understand the $199 for the new receiver, but dont they give ya a rebate for that? I dont need the DVR for the HD, just the basic new HD receiver.

So if the Gold is $10 more a month, my total, with HBO, should still only be $10 more a month since I am paying for HBO now?

·
Super Moderator
53,990 Posts
Old HD Pack to new DishHD is a $10 increase (unless you had Voom - then it is a $5 increase).
New subscribers to DishHD (including old HD Pack upgraders) get $10 for 10 months - $100. This offsets the price difference between old and new for a while.

Silver to Gold is a $10 step - initially you would see a $10 increase ... in month 11 you would see the full $20 total increase (different math if you already have Voom).

·
Hall Of Fame
2,114 Posts
If you don't need the DVR for HD (I still think you do :)), it isn't $199 - just $49 to get the ViP211 and deactivate the 811. You'd actually increase the monthly bill by $1 (ViP is $6/month and the 811 is $5/month) for the 1st 10 months and $11/month after 10 months. Can you try $49 up front and $1/month on the wife? If you own the 811 instead of leasing it, you can sell it for more than the $49 and use the difference to cover the monthly increase for a while.

·
Cool Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wait a sec, wait a sec. If I dont get the DVR it will only be $1 more for 10 months then $11 a month. hmmm... Maybe, but will probably have to wait ti ll after Xmas. Would like to have the DVR for HD, but the shows that we watch are on locals and we dont have locals in HD here yet. Tulsa is supposed to be by the end of this year, but I am not holding my breath.

So, lets say I got the DVR, I would have to pay $199 for the receiver, and then would I have an additional charge for another DVR? So my monthly bill would go up to $16 a month?

·
Hall Of Fame
2,114 Posts
No matter what, your monthly bill would go up TO something more than $16. :)

I don't think this is what you would WANT to do, but the monthly cost of replacing the 811 HD receiver with the ViP 211 would be the same as if you replaced the 2 output SD DVR with the two output ViP 622 (avoids a 2nd DVR fee, but $150 upfront difference).

If you replace the 811 HD receiver with the ViP 622 DVR, you do add a 2nd DVR fee of $5.98 so it would increase the monthly by $6.98 for 10 months and then $16.98 afterward.

The above price increases might be $5 more depending on when and how you obtained your current receivers. If you got one/both as existing customer upgrades under DISH'n It Up and agreed to an 18 month commitment when you upgraded, you might fall into that $5 hole. But might not if that is the one you return. As long as you are keeping some receiver that you DIDN'T obtain as a DIU upgrade, ignore this extra $5.

·
Cool Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So I am looking at a $16 increase even if I dont get the dvr. sucks... Oh well, I have to do it sometime. If I wasnt having to pay 50 for internet, I could do this no problem. I guess I could go back to DSL........heck no.

Well, maybe I can call Dish and talk with them. Heard they will make deals if you threaten to switch. Not a fan of doing that, but I do feel existing customers get screwed when they need to upgrade.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.