DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Legend
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been putting off attempting to upgrade to a new HD DVR, but decided its time with the upcoming fall season. My initial call to customer service netted a price of $199. After complaining a bit and the csr looking over my account we got down to $149. After stating I was going to think about it we got down to $99 + shipping and tax. I decided any more time on the phone wasn't worth it, so I said to go ahead and lets do it. That's when I heard they wouldn't just add it to my next bill like has always been done in the past, so I asked for a supervisor. Not a big deal, but I wasn't feeling very special any more. When I got a supervisor after quite a wait, I was quoted the $199 + 19.95 shipping + tax + $99 for installation for a total of $331.09 of which $100 would be credited to my account. Things seem to be going from bad to worse here. When I explained that I didn't need it to be installed then I was told to go to Circuit City and I could install the unit myself. I'm on hold right now waiting for the supervisors supervisor, but my patience are wearing a bit thin. I've been a loyal and happy customer since 2002, but stuff like this makes a person weigh the options.

· Legend
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
dshu82 said:
I assume you have the Slimline dish already? $169 at Costco I believe (have not been there in a month or so) but will save the "new" installation charges.....
Yep. I have one HR20 already installed. Its not like I need to pay $99 to have someone come hook up 2 cables and a power cord. Thanks, but I'm not sure where the nearest Costco would be around here. I kinda live in the pickers.

· Icon
528 Posts
The only way that D* would drop ship it to you is if you already have a DVR and tell them it's going to replace it. As for them not billing it to the account, the only states they have the option for that is Massachusetts and Pennsylvania (and that's cause it's by law). Otherwise they must bill it to a credit/debit card.

· Legend
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
beavis said:
The only way that D* would drop ship it to you is if you already have a DVR and tell them it's going to replace it. As for them not billing it to the account, the only states they have the option for that is Massachusetts and Pennsylvania (and that's cause it's by law). Otherwise they must bill it to a credit/debit card.
I see Best Buy has them for $169. Maybe I'll have to go that route.

· Legend
213 Posts
beavis said:
Not true. I live in Michigan and I just upgraded to HD and they just billed my account the receiver charges;)

· AllStar
79 Posts
The last two DVR's I received were shipped out and billed to my account here in TX. One was free and I paid the shipping... the other was $199 but the CSR gave me a $100 credit on my account. Seems like dealing w/DTV is still a "crap shoot" and a lot depends on the timing of your call.

· Icon
578 Posts
dshu82 said:
I assume you have the Slimline dish already? $169 at Costco I believe (have not been there in a month or so) but will save the "new" installation charges.....
Or Best Buy ($169.99) since yesterday. :hurah:

· Hall Of Fame
3,985 Posts
The last upgrades I got (April 2007) I had to put them on a CC. I've since had two receivers replaced under the PP, but those were no charge.

I'm sure there will be exceptions, but I do believe DirecTV's current policy leans more toward billing to a credit card than billing equipment upgrades to your account. I certainly wouldn't consider it out of line that they would want to do it that way.

Looks like you talked yourself out of a pretty decent deal. :shrug:

· Legend
213 Posts
beavis said:
They might have put it as a swap, but you lucked out. In most cases they require a CC#.
Maybe they look at how long you have been a customer or your credit rating with them? Even my last dvr I got from them they charged it to my account. I'm not the only one this has happened too. They must be looking at something to make this call.

· Legend
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
erict said:
Maybe they look at how long you have been a customer or your credit rating with them? Even my last dvr I got from them they charged it to my account. I'm not the only one this has happened too. They must be looking at something to make this call.
I've been a customer since 2002 and my credit rating with them should be great. I pay online ontime all the time. The only credits I've ever received from them were after missed appointments. Last year I upgraded to HD and they missed the first appointment. I rescheduled and the tech came and told me I didn't have los, so I had the tree trimmed that he told me was in the way. I rescheduled the appointment and they missed that one too. I got credits for the missed appointments, but don't think that was out of line since I missed two whole days of work. When they finally installed my HD the tree I had trimmed wasn't even in the way.

· Hall Of Fame
4,266 Posts
I’ve added three HR20’s and an H20 to my account over the last two years and they’ve always just billed it to my D* account. IIRC, the first HR20 I added for $299 was billed in three installments. I do have my D* bill charged to my AMEX card, so that might make a difference. Maybe if you pay by check, they require a credit card for purchasing equipment?

· Legend
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
rudeney said:
I've added three HR20's and an H20 to my account over the last two years and they've always just billed it to my D* account. IIRC, the first HR20 I added for $299 was billed in three installments. I do have my D* bill charged to my AMEX card, so that might make a difference. Maybe if you pay by check, they require a credit card for purchasing equipment?
They've billed me in the past also. After over an hour on the phone yesterday I guess I'll just go to BB and pick one up for $169 and do the install myself even though the nearest BB is 60 miles away. I know its going to be tough but I'll work through hooking up 2 bbc to 2 coax feeds and finding some ac to plug the power cord into. I think the part that bothered me most was giving me a $100 credit and then charging me $99 to have an installer come. Yes, they knew it was a swap. If I wasn't an HD snob with 3 dvr's I'd be checking into jumping ship, but I know where the grass is greener.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.