DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a very old receiver and dish - a Sony circa 1999. I'm happy with it, don't need bells and whistles, but I'm wondering what I'm missing and thinking of upgrading. My TV is HD ready. But DirectTV doesn't offer many HD channels (and I don't watch sports), so is it worth it?

I don't have a DVR. My friends all rave about them, but I don't mind flipping around during commercials and wouldn't bother to wait 15 minutes to start watching a show just so I can skip them. I mostly watch movies.

I keep hearing problems with receivers, and customer service, etc. Am I better off just sticking with the old system I have? If not what should I get? What kind of deal should I be able to get from DirectTV? I have been a customer since 1999 and have never received any freebies.

Also do the newer dishes help with reception? I seem to lose reception during heavily cloudy/rainy days more often lately.

Help please!

·
Icon
761 Posts
If you truly don't want a DVR or HD, I am of the "tried-and-true-if-it-ain't-broke-don't-fix-it" school.

HOWEVER...DVR is one of those amazing TV-life changing things that you may not know you want until you try it.

We simply could not go back to non-DVR viewing and enjoy it.

If for NOTHING else, the ability to pause the movie you are watching whenever you want, and skip back to catch that last bit of dialog, is truly amazing.

If you can get one for free, I say give it a shot.

·
Hall Of Fame
3,985 Posts
hideme,

Welcome to DBSTalk! :welcome_s

One thing to keep in mind if you do upgrade - a Standard Definition receiver unit comes with a one-year programming commitment and a High-Def receiver and/or any DVR comes with a two-year programming commitment (see the details on D*s web site). If you've been a long time satisfied customer and plan on staying with them, that's usually no big deal, but it pays to know about it up front.

Although I have yet to find any desire to check this feature out myself, some of the newer receivers have Active Channel features and things of that sort. If that type of stuff interests you, you may want to take a closer look at some of their newer equipment.

Best of luck!

·
AllStar
58 Posts
Like probably 99% of DVR users on here, once you get one, you won't want to go back. I CANNOT watch TV without one. To me it's like watching a show with no sound, or someone standing right in front of the Tv. The "life changing" comment above is right on the money. It's more than just waiting 15 minutes to skip commercials. It's about recording all the shows, then watching them on YOUR schedule. Not the network schedule.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.