DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· AllStar
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I switched to DTV about three months ago, and currently have an HR15. I'm going to be upgrading to a HDTV in a couple of weeks and am hoping you guys can assist me with a few questions.

1. Will I have any trouble getting DTV to let me upgrade to an HR20?
2. Will they have to install a new dish? New cables, etc.?
3. Any idea how much they're going to charge me to upgrade?

I've also been getting confused by the issue of the local HDTV channels. Am I going to be able to receive these through the HR20?

Any other tips would be very much appreciated.

Thanks much!
eric

· Lifetime Achiever
30,090 Posts
1) Totally depends on your past with DirecTV, but normally there should be any issues.
2) Probably, unless they installed a 5LNB dish when you first signed up
3) Between 99 and 199 most likely

Depends where you are in Wisconsin... check the "General" forum for a listing of what HD Locals are provided for what cities.

If your "market" is not listed, then you will have to wait for the OTA option to be turned on to get your locals via antenna.

· AllStar
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the help, Earl. I'm in Madison, so it looks like I should be fine.

Can you tell me why there is a difference in the upgrade cost ($99-199)?

It sounds like there's still a little bit of a wait for the HR20. Would I be wise to give them a call ASAP, to get on the wait list? If they upgrade before I have the HDTV, I'll be able to use it with my standard-def, in the meantime, right?

BTW, I'm a transplant from IL and a Bears fan in the middle of Packer country!

Thanks again!

· I used to be a rocket scientist
11,448 Posts
Can you tell me why there is a difference in the upgrade cost ($99-199)?
We jokingly refer to is as "CSR Roulette" - you never know what deal you'll get, it seems. If you're a good customer and pay your bill on time, and if you've been a long-time subscriber (which doesn't apply to you I guess) you can do even better. A lot of us got free HR20's and free installation, and some got hundreds of dollars in programming credits on top of that, though I didn't push for more freebies myself.

· AllStar
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You guys are great. Thanks for the fast and helpful responses.

I'm reading that the HR20 is more or less readily available, right now, but I'm sure I'll still have to wait a couple weeks for installation, so I should probably call soon (and hope to get a good CSR).

Just to confirm, the HR20 will work just fine with my standard-def tv, for now, right?

· Godfather
440 Posts
ericp said:
You guys are great. Thanks for the fast and helpful responses.

I'm reading that the HR20 is more or less readily available, right now, but I'm sure I'll still have to wait a couple weeks for installation, so I should probably call soon (and hope to get a good CSR).

Just to confirm, the HR20 will work just fine with my standard-def tv, for now, right?
Fine with SD TV, and will work with any D* dish. You just won't get HD unless you have the 3lnb dish. And you won't get HD locals unless you have the 5lnb dish.
If you call D* and ask for an upgrade, and you don't get the deal you want. Just hang up, wait a little bit and try again.
A tip. Be sure you write down the details of your deal and the CSR's name and employee no. etc. Then, watch your subsequent bills to make sure they are doing what was agreed to.

· AllStar
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks again, guys. I just talked with them and they put me on the waiting list, said I should have a call in 2-3 weeks and will have to pay them $300. Obviously, they couldn't set an installation appointment, so it looks like I probably won't be set up before the end of the year.

The $300 upgrade charge surprised me, but maybe the CSR I speak with to set the installation appointment will cut me some slack? I guess I'll just have to wait and see.

4 Posts
bobojay said:
Fine with SD TV, and will work with any D* dish. You just won't get HD unless you have the 3lnb dish. And you won't get HD locals unless you have the 5lnb dish.
If you call D* and ask for an upgrade, and you don't get the deal you want. Just hang up, wait a little bit and try again.
A tip. Be sure you write down the details of your deal and the CSR's name and employee no. etc. Then, watch your subsequent bills to make sure they are doing what was agreed to.
I am in the same boat at the OP

so I should try for the 5lnb dish to get locals as well in HD huh?

I need to specifically ask for this right?

How many lines can be run from this (looking for 5 total)

thanks

· I used to be a rocket scientist
11,448 Posts
How many lines can be run from this (looking for 5 total)
The dish itself has four lines out. If you need more than that, tell them and they'll bring the appropriate multiswitch. I needed 8 including the HR20: 2 for that one, 4 for two additional older DirecTivos, and 2 more for 2 SD receivers.

· Godfather
485 Posts
The Zinwell switch that you should get with the 5lnb install is a 6x8 so yes you can have 5. If you have been with D for some time, I am over a decade, talk to retention and ask them for a better deal. I got mine for nothing with the 19.95 install and 2 year commitment.

· AllStar
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
jgrade said:
...If you have been with D for some time, I am over a decade, talk to retention and ask them for a better deal. I got mine for nothing with the 19.95 install and 2 year commitment.
Ah, well, maybe that's why I'm getting hit. I only got hooked up in August. The shame of it is, when I got connected, I wanted to just have the HD stuff installed beacuse I knew I would be going HD. They said they couldn't do it yet, but when I was ready to upgrade, just give them a call. There was no mention of another $300 charge, but I guess I didn't ask, either.

· Cutting Edge: ECHELON '08
4,107 Posts
The Installation Tips & Tricks compiles much of this. The link is below. The Unofficial HR20 Tips and Tricks has more hands-on materials for once you start. The TiVo Survial Guide will help you make that transition.
- Craig

· Hall Of Fame
2,669 Posts
LameLefty said:
We jokingly refer to is as "CSR Roulette" - you never know what deal you'll get, it seems. If you're a good customer and pay your bill on time, and if you've been a long-time subscriber (which doesn't apply to you I guess) you can do even better. A lot of us got free HR20's and free installation, and some got hundreds of dollars in programming credits on top of that, though I didn't push for more freebies myself.
I thought it was the other way around. I've been a sub with D* since '95, and I have total choice plus and NHL Center Ice all that time. What deal did I get? Good old full price! They told me all the "special" deals were for new subscribers, like my neighbors who just hooked up last week for free!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.