DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Hall Of Fame
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I plan to purchase an HD set within the next couple of weeks. I currently use an R15 DVR which I know will have to be replaced by the HD DVR. However, will I also need to replace my round dish with an oval one? If so, how much of an installation cost is there?

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
ansky said:
I plan to purchase an HD set within the next couple of weeks. I currently use an R15 DVR which I know will have to be replaced by the HD DVR. However, will I also need to replace my round dish with an oval one? If so, how much of an installation cost is there?
You'll want to replace your current round dish with an AT-9 (5LNB dish) or Slimline (also 5LNB) dish instead of an oval dish. The new 5LNB dishes will allow you to receive future HD programming from DTV 10 and 11 (to launch in the next 6-12 months). A 3LNB Oval Dish will not allow you to pull HD programming from the new birds when they take flight.

An AT-9 or Slimline (HD Dish) will be included in the cost of your HR-20 (HD DVR) upgrade. Hope this helps!

·
Banned
90 Posts
Whatever it is refuse to sign the agreement for two yeasr service, this thing is junk at present, if they aren't willing to give it to you without the commitment, they aren't willing to stand behind their product. If they don;t, offer to negotiate specific terms on your end, if they don't do that, then go with cable. I am starting to suspect they knew this HR20, ka/ku was crap and that's why they had this 2 year service commitent thing going. Of course they don;t want it to be crap and they will try to make it work, but they are not sure it will and should be willing to stand behind it. Almost everyone I know whohas upgraded to DTV HD and DVR has had a ton of problems and that's a lot of peolpe, when it works it's fantastic, the best product IMO, but that's a hit or miss proposition.

·
Éminence grise
8,473 Posts
You should replace your dish with a 5 LNB model. Tthere are two, the AT-9 and the AU-9 (Slimline) although you probably don't get a choice. The dish and installation will be included at no extra charge when you upgrade to the HR20 DVR.

·
Super Moderator
12,863 Posts
Radio Enginerd said:
An AT-9 or Slimline (HD Dish) will be included in the cost of your HR-20 (HD DVR) upgrade. Hope this helps!
Yes, if you order the HD upgrade through DirecTV with installation. If you go out and buy a receiver or HD DVR separately, then the dish won't be automatically included.

The HD receiver (H10) should be available at no cost or very low cost. To get the HD DVR (HR20) you may have to pay as much as $299. Either way, you will get a new 2 year service committment.

Also, you could still use the R15 with your HD installation, but it obviously won't receive, record, or play HD, only standard def.

Carl

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.