DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks,

I am trying to upgrade my seasonal DirecTV service to HD, without entering into an extended programming commitment. In an email exchange, one CSR confirmed:

"If you're not interested in entering a programming commitment, you may purchase your receiver. Select retailers may offer a purchase option."

So my question for the group is this: Does anyone know of a 'select retailer' that offers a purchase option for DirecTV receivers?

Thanks,

Dr. C.

1,481 Posts
dr_c said:
Hi Folks,

I am trying to upgrade my seasonal DirecTV service to HD, without entering into an extended programming commitment. In an email exchange, one CSR confirmed:

"If you're not interested in entering a programming commitment, you may purchase your receiver. Select retailers may offer a purchase option."

So my question for the group is this: Does anyone know of a 'select retailer' that offers a purchase option for DirecTV receivers?

Thanks,

Dr. C.
Try www.weaknees.com

2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Actually, I did write back to double check and confirm. Their reply:

"Thanks again for writing. Please be informed that since you'll not be leasing your equipment from us, your programming commitment with DIRECTV will not be extended."

I'll call weaKnees and post what I learn.

-Dr. C.

· 1*
9,917 Posts
dr_c said:
Hi Folks,

Thanks,

Dr. C.
Unless you think there is a chance that you might need to change service providers or cancel your DirecTV service, having your commitment extended should not really affect you. Plus, you will be able to get your new HD receiver at a lower cost.

- Merg

· Legend
163 Posts
texasbrit said:
This is true ONLY for the HR21 pro, The HR21 pro is a purchase not a lease - weaknees, solid signal, value electronics etc
false.

This can be true with any directv ird. Just call D* and ask for owned offers.

HD standards go for $399 owned.
HD DVR's go for $499 owned.

If D* see's you didn't pay an owned price for their equipment you will be put into a commitment.

· Hall Of Fame
3,985 Posts
dr_c,

Welcome to DBSTalk! :welcome_s

To try to nutshell what's been said above, you can only upgrade without a commitment if you actually "purchase to own" your equipment.

The only receiver currently set up so that wherever you "purchase" it, that unit is owned and comes with no commitment is the HR21-Pro.

You can "purchase to own" from DirecTV, but the receivers come with the higher price tags than what is advertised on their site. I think IcedOmega13 nailed the "to own" prices, or pretty darn close. I am not aware of a retailer where you can actually purchase to own except going through DirecTV.

I'm certain that any receiver you would obtain from Best Buy, Ciruit City, Costco, etc., are going to be leases and come with a commitment - and a lower price tag.

I'm not familiar enough with solidsignal, valueelctronics, and the on-line retailers to know if they can actually sell to own, but I seriously doubt it aside from the aforementioned HR21-Pro.

HD equipment will come with a two-year commitment, pro-rated at $20 a month for the months remaining in your commitment period. If you really do think you'll be leaving at some point, I would weigh that time frame against trying to own. In other words, if you know it will be at least a year before you'd be doing anything, consider your buy-out cost at a couple hundred dollars and is it worth it to spend the extra cash to own if your buy-out would be cheaper.

Good luck.

· Legend
164 Posts
I took the upgrade offer after dtv finally said I could get it without a commitment. Back in April it was a free upgrade to the HR21 free install and a two year commitment. I said no and figured I could live with my tivo. After receiving a few more calls sinse April I was finally able to get Free HR21 free super fan and no commitment. This happened around the end of July. I have been very pleased with how DTV has dealt with me over the years. We had some ruff patches but it all worked out in the end. Been a faithful customer sinse 1996.

· Beware the Attack Basset
26,563 Posts
Note that along with purchasing your DVR(s), you will also be responsible for purchasing and installing all the attendant antenna(s), switchgear (if necessary), grounding, special mounting paraphernalia (if required) and cabling.

Best case scenario the way I figure it for a single HD DVR is around a $800 up-front investment to avoid a programming commitment; $150-200 less if you do the wiring yourself.

If you find that DIRECTV isn't your cup of tea, it costs about half that to punch out on a programming commitment for a single DVR.

Note that you're not eligible for any promotional programming offers if you go the non-commitment route. These savings alone are about the same as the cost of punching out if you're a new DIRECTV subscriber.

I think it likely that it could cost you upwards of $1,000 more for the same benefit on a single TV setup if you go the purchased route and decide that DIRECTV is going to work out. Additional TVs would add more dollars to the DIRECTV pot.

Cost recovery on a used HR2x receiver is probably not very good (unless you get an HR20).

· Beware the Attack Basset
26,563 Posts
vikefan said:
After receiving a few more calls sinse April I was finally able to get Free HR21 free super fan and no commitment.
Have you confirmed that you're not engaged in a two-year commitment? I'll bet you are (not that it matters other than that you were lied to).

· Hall Of Fame
4,266 Posts
The Merg said:
Unless you think there is a chance that you might need to change service providers or cancel your DirecTV service, having your commitment extended should not really affect you. Plus, you will be able to get your new HD receiver at a lower cost.

- Merg
Another consideration is that if D* comes out with some new "wow" hardware that's very expensive, you may be in a better position to negotiate its price if you are NOT under a commitment. Basically, D* uses several things to determine if customers are eligible for any deals, and one of those factors is if the customer is under a commitment or not.

Also, be wary about the application of a commitment on your account. You can have all the e-mails and phone conversations in the world, but apparently, it's incredibly easy to "accidentally" have the commitment put into effect and very difficult to have it removed. In fact most of the time, they don't really remove it. Instead, they place notes on your account that say it shouldn't be there.

· Banned
127 Posts
I don't understand why anyone would not sign a commitment, if they do not plan on going anywheres, like me Cable is not out where I live, so its either Directv or Dish and I rather have Directv, so when they come for my HD Upgrade on Saturday I have no problem signing a 2 year comitment.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.