Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Mentor
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

We having been subscribing to D* with locals for several years. Currently, we have a triple LNB setup that I installed myself. It has two runs of RG-6 feeding two basic Hughes receivers in different rooms. Can anyone tell me what equipment has to be changed in order to upgrade to HD? I know the receivers need to be changed, but what about the antenna/LNB assembly, and are there any added or different cabling requirements?

I tried to dig this out of the D* web site without much success. :sure:

Thanks.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
24,450 Posts
TreeFarm said:
I know the receivers need to be changed, but what about the antenna/LNB assembly, and are there any added or different cabling requirements?
If you don't try to go it alone, DirecTV will provide everything you need. What you will need will be:

1. New dish assembly (it won't fit on the old setup)
2. WB68 multiswitch
3. A new receiver for each HDTV
4. More cable runs (perhaps just to the multiswitch)

·
Super Moderator
12,874 Posts
Well, you could get the HD package using the 3-LNB dish, and pick up the national HD channels that D* offers. However, over the course of the next year you can expect those HD channels to migrate over to MPEG4 feeds which will require the new 5-LNB dish. So if you are upgrading now, you might as well go to the new dish at this time.

You say you can't get HD locals from D*, so hopefully you have decent over the air signals. If you do, then the new HR20 DVR will have the ability to receive OTA HD in the very near future, and will receive both the MPEG2 and MPEG4 HD feeds.

So what you would want to do right now, or whenever you are ready to actually upgrade, is to:
a) replace the 3-LNB dish with the 5-LNB dish.
b) upgrade your receivers to either HD receivers or HD DVR's
c) if you move to DVR's, you will need some additional wiring done to each receiver location.

If you call DirecTV to order the upgrade, they will send an installer out to do the dish, wiring, and deliver and setup the equipment. That's the easiest way to make the change.

If you are a resolved DIYr, then find yourself a 5-LNB dish and some RG6 with solid copper center conductor. Then select the receiver or DVR and get one from wherever.

Carl

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.