DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· AllStar
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I would start a new thread for this. Basically the quote below got me thinking about upscaling. Is it good with the HD20 (HDMI connection)? What are some recommended equipment? My TV does not upscale, but it supports 1080p. I am looking to upscale the SD (or other content) from the H20.

What A/V switcher are people using? You say it upscales? How does it look after the upscale? Is it worth getting an upscaler like that?

snowghost said:
I noticed that after hooking up HDMI to my Sharp Aquos TV its stretch modes are disabled and it is in the most extreme stretch.

With component inputs I can cycle through the stretch modes and use a standard stretch which doesn't distort too much.

Are there any other options on the HR-20 besides the 3 modes of stretch, pillar and crop that might be look better.

It might be more of a TV issue than HR-20 as my old TV (a Sony) disabled its stretch modes in the component mode. But I'd hate to have to go back to component especially since my new A/V amp is an HDMI switcher and upscaling one.
Thanks,
Apco25

· AllStar
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replys...

I should be more clear. I know this is the wrong forum, but I am using the HR20. What is the correct forum?

Anyway, what I am looking for is a "smart" up converter such as my DVD player. DVDs are in 480p. This player up-converts to 1080i and looks great. It does pixel interpolation and other algorithms to get the picture in this quality. Sort of “faking it”.

At this point I connect my HR20 to my TV (that can support up to 1080p). There is no “mode” setting on the TV that I can force it to be in. However, it does display what mode the source is supplying.

When I look at SD on my TV it looks OK. However, when I switch between modes (480p/720p/1080i) it can supply those to the TV (the TV indicates as such), but they all look basically the same. The native resolution in SD de-interlaced seems to look a little better than the rest (480p).

So, what I am asking is if there is something akin to the “smart” up-converting DVD and TVs out there that I can feed in a lower quality signal into the HDMI and get a better picture than I do now with just the standard “up-converting” that happens with the HR20.

Thanks,
Apco25

· AllStar
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
bonscott87 said:
Not really. SD looks like crap on HDTV's and there really isn't much you can do about it. Garbage in/garbage out. The HR20 offers the best picture of SD content on an HDTV of any other receiver I've seen.

There are external devices you can buy but in reality it's not going to help much. IMHO.
I appreciate that... That is what I thought, but just wanted to check. I have seen TVs that are supposed to do that, but I did not really notice a difference.

Thanks,
Apco25

· AllStar
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thekochs,

Thanks! I was searching around and found this:
http://www.pixelmagicsystems.com/products/video_processors/crystalio_II.htm

However, my feeling is that it still would not help much with SD... And it's expensive! What about upscale from 1080i to 1080p?

One other thing, is that this thing does Non-linear stretching to display 4:3 image on 16:9 display

Thanks,
Apco25

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.