DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· DirecTV 10yr+ Customer
1,010 Posts
This is HR20 Forum but.............

Here is the best switcher for the money.....Video Storms CSM42. It switches component, audio TosLink, digital Coax, RCA. It also transcodes audio from one to another. It is a matrix switch so literally 4-in 2-out is a fully X8 matrix which you can route however you want....PLUS the CSM42 also learns the IR codes you want for each route....so simple example make a certain route be the power IR code of the D* remote. http://www.hdtvsupply.com/vics4maswfrs.html

Also, go to Video Storm's webiste....they have versions with HDMI, etc.

Your question though appears to be talking about two distinct items. Above is a swtich. The "Scalar" is in your TV and also in the settop. In the HR20 you can set to native mode which is really called passthrough in the rest of the world. In passthrough you are allowing the TV to do the scaling. Theory here is the TV beings $1000+ has better scalar engine. However, some argue doing the scaling in the settop gives better control and audio sync. It's up to you which works better. Also, HDMI/DVI is digital......Component is analog. Analog has a better dynamic range of scalling. Digital has well defined timings so the options are less but the theory is the picture is better.

· DirecTV 10yr+ Customer
1,010 Posts
Also realize, DVD's are 720x480 progressive digital source.......SD is 525x480 analog interlaced source. Upscaling DVD looks good because it's source is substantially better....50% more pixel count, etc. As the above poster said......SD is going to look like SD ([email protected]). In fact when it was defined NTSC at the time they thought the largest TV it could/would be put on was 19". :lol:

To add to this I love when I get someone (lately my father-in-law) who says "don't see what all the fuss is about HD...I'm happy with SD". Then I fire up my Sony PJ on 110" screen and tune to MPEG-2 D* channel and the jaws drop. It's hysterical.....you can see the wheels actually turning in their head on how quickly they can sign up for HD. I thus really like the Panasonic Plasma adds on TV now with the guy letting his house go to shambles because he is awe-struck by his new 42"+ Panny TV. Well, what they don't say is he'd be putting that bad boy in the box and returning it if the source was SD. :)

So, enough soapbox......your on D* because they are the most aggressive in deploying HD. With any luck all broadcasts will be HD soon.....ala FCC....problem resolved.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.