DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Godfather
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I lost 119 two years ago. The only thing I miss is being able to record my locals using the DVR. I can do this in HD with the HR20 DVR. With the right converter box can I fool the samsung that the antenna is another sat? What is "Pass through tech"? Thank you guys for your help.:)

· Hall Of Fame
4,481 Posts
igator99 said:
I lost 119 two years ago. The only thing I miss is being able to record my locals using the DVR. I can do this in HD with the HR20 DVR. With the right converter box can I fool the samsung that the antenna is another sat? What is "Pass through tech"? Thank you guys for your help.:)
long fangs, and a red face say that the Samsung cannot be fooled. the samsung cannot record OTA as far as red face knows

· Hall Of Fame
8,968 Posts
igator99 said:
With the right converter box can I fool the samsung that the antenna is another sat?
No. That receiver has NO ability to tune in analog TV signals, and there is no consumer equipment that could convert the signals to look like sat signals, not to mention the encryption issue.

What is "Pass through tech"?[/QUOTE]

The "pass through" port is for TVs with only an RF/coax input. If you need to use the sat receiver and cable or OTA antenna on the same TV, you can plug the cable/OTA into the pass-through input on the sat receiver, so whenever you shut the sat receiver off, a switch inside passes the cable/OTA signal to the TV. It saves you from having to use an external switch or swapping connections all the time. The sat receiver never sees the signal itself.

Since you already have an HD receiver and pay for HD programming, you could upgrade your old SD DVR to another HD-DVR (plus the AM21, as you'd likely get an HR21) which would give you the ability to record your locals. After the one-time upgrade cost, there's no monthly price difference, and you'd be ready to go if you upgrade that TV to HD.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.