DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
AllStar
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I don't have a phone line in my house (don't need one with a cell phone), and I'm getting charged the "Screw you for not buying our downloadable content so we're charging you a ridiculous fee for it". I know it's only like $5/month, but it's just the principle of it and it drives me nuts. Sorry, needed to vent.

Anywhoo, just a quick question. If I hook-up my 722 to the internet using a wireless adapter, will that charge go away? Thanks.

·
Legend
231 Posts
I have a Linksys WGA-600N adapter hooked up to mine. It sees wireless a, b, g, and n wireless bands. Really good product. Kind of expensive. Don't use the CD installer thingie if you buy one. Just attach it to your WiFi router, log into it and set up the adapter using the web-based utility. The CD installer totally stinks.

·
Legend
231 Posts
That older Linksys "game adapter" is limited in regard to WiFi security protocols. That's the main reason why I chose the newer WGA600N instead. The device will pay for itself in a little over a year on the basis of saving $5 per month. If for some reason I change satellite service or get a different receiver with built in WiFi or whatever, the little square device can be re-used to connect other devices with built in LAN ports.

·
Icon
529 Posts
Isn't the 722 home-plug compatible? (I know my 622 is.)

Just buy a single homeplug compatible adapter (often on sale for $20 at Fry's) and plug into an outlet near your internet router. Connect the homeplug adapter to the internet, and viola, your Dish receiver is on the net.

·
Hall Of Fame
15,561 Posts
ZBoomer said:

Just buy a single homeplug compatible adapter (often on sale for $20 at Fry's) and plug into an outlet near your internet router. Connect the homeplug adapter to the internet, and viola, your Dish receiver is on the net.
If you're 722 isn't plugged into a UPS.

·
AllStar
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
clapple said:
Is all this worth saving $5 a month?
To me, yes. Like I said, it's the principle of it that just grinds on me. It's like driving through McDonald's and them saying, "Oh you don't want to supersize it? Then that'll be another $2. We also gave you an apple pie that you didn't order which tacks on another $3." Especially when you ask them what the charge is for and they try to tell you it's so the receiver can get "necessary software updates". Oh really, so that giant satellite dish it's hooked up to can send me 100 HD channels, but can't get a simple update? BS. It's because I won't be tempted to buy the other frivolous crap you're peddling. Plus, the device should pay for itself in a relatively short amount of time.

·
AllStar
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ZBoomer said:

Don't you need an adapter for each device? So I'd need the one adapter plugged into the router in one room, then another adapter to plug the receiver to in the tv room, right?

·
Legend
126 Posts
GatorDave said:
Don't you need an adapter for each device? So I'd need the one adapter plugged into the router in one room, then another adapter to plug the receiver to in the tv room, right?
The 722 (and 622 for that matter) have HomePlug built into them.

·
Hall Of Fame
8,969 Posts
klegg said:
The 722 (and 622 for that matter) have HomePlug built into them.
Yes! The ViP receivers have HomePlug technology built in, and get the signal right through their power cord. You just need to have a HomePlug device on the other end connected to your router.

·
Mentor
35 Posts
I have my 722 connected wirelessly via a Linksys WRT54G router that I set up as a client with the tomato firmware.
I have my 360, ps3, Vip722 and FyreTV all connected to the Linksys.

I picked up the WRT54G on ebay for less then $30 so it was worth it for me to connect it this way and save on the $5 dish fee.

·
AllStar
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the info guys. I'm kicking myself for not knowing about this a long time ago and saving myself years' worth of the access fee. Especially knowing how cheap and easy it is with these plug-and-play homeplug adapters.

·
Legend
222 Posts
scandalous said:
I have my 722 connected wirelessly via a Linksys WRT54G router that I set up as a client with the tomato firmware.
I have my 360, ps3, Vip722 and FyreTV all connected to the Linksys.

I picked up the WRT54G on ebay for less then $30 so it was worth it for me to connect it this way and save on the $5 dish fee.
I had no idea you could do that to a WRT54G. I've been thinking of connecting my 622 and Blu-ray player to my wireless network but was thinking I'd have to buy a separate game adapter for each. Looks like it's time to pick one up. Thanks.

·
Hall Of Fame
8,969 Posts
Todd H said:
I had no idea you could do that to a WRT54G.
Be careful!

You either need an older WRT54G (Version 3 or earlier, IIRC), or the WRT54GL "legacy" model, because in order to get the WRT54G to work as a wireless bridge, you must install non-factory firmware on it, such as DD-WRT. The newer models use different chipsets that aren't supported by these aftermarket firmwares, so just going to Best Buy and buying the latest one won't get you anywhere. You either need the "L" model or an old used one.

Several other types and brands of routers will also work with DD-WRT and other aftermarket firmwares. The Buffalo brand is a popular example.

The nice thing about using a router as a bridge is that you'll have more than one port (4, typically), to support multiple devices on the far side.

·
Icon
719 Posts
IIP said:
Be careful!

You either need an older WRT54G (Version 3 or earlier, IIRC), or the WRT54GL "legacy" model, because in order to get the WRT54G to work as a wireless bridge, you must install non-factory firmware on it, such as DD-WRT. The newer models use different chipsets that aren't supported by these aftermarket firmwares, so just going to Best Buy and buying the latest one won't get you anywhere. You either need the "L" model or an old used one.
FYI - The "L" in WRT54GL does not mean "legacy". It stands for Linux, in which the OS is based on. :) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wrt54gl#WRT54GL

I've got one of those running Tomato. It rules.

·
Hall Of Fame
8,969 Posts
Yes, but it is "legacy" in that it uses the same chipset as the older models, even though it is a current model, and current non-L models use a different chipset. I didn't intend to imply that the "L" meant legacy, though I can see how someone might have inferred that.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.