DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried to find this in the HR20 manual and on this forum; my apologies, in advance, if I missed it.

I have my HR20 connected via HDMI to my Sony TV and then to my HarmonKardon recv/amp.

I would like to connect the "audio out" also to my recv/amp so that I can tune to the XM music channels and then turn off the TV and still have the audio playing out through the recv/amp.

I can't seem to get this to work.

Is there any "setup" I need to do in the HR20 to get "audio out" to work? Is there some trick I need to do?

Thanks, in advance, for your advice.

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
DWSnj said:
I tried to find this in the HR20 manual and on this forum; my apologies, in advance, if I missed it.

I have my HR20 connected via HDMI to my Sony TV and then to my HarmonKardon recv/amp.

I would like to connect the "audio out" also to my recv/amp so that I can tune to the XM music channels and then turn off the TV and still have the audio playing out through the recv/amp.

Is there any "setup" I need to do in the HR20 to get "audio out" to work? Is there some trick I need to do?

Hmmmm...all audio outputs should be live all the time...they are for me. There is no trick to it as far as I can tell. I'm using all of the audio outputs from the HR20 all the time:

HDMI to TV (but have the volume turned down 99% of the time)
Optical to Onkyo DD receiver (primary audio use)
Stereo Out to RF Modulator and Wireless 900 mhz headphones (in parallel)

They all work fine...check your connections, cables, etc...it should work no problem. Perhaps you have something misconfigured in your HK and it is only letting you use HDMI and/or Optical, or you have to reconfigure it?

·
DBSTalk Club Member
251 Posts
DWSnj said:

When you turn the TV off, you're not accidentally putting the unit (the HR20) into standby, are you?

·
DBSTalk Club Member
721 Posts
Are you using the the optical port? If so, those cables can be fussy - getting them snapped into place without feeling like you're going to break em.

·
Legend
125 Posts
No tricks it should just work, you may have a bad unit or you might not be selecting the correct input on your AVR.

I have both the HDMI connected and the analog audio out connected to my Pioneer Elite, only reason I did that is because the Pioneer wont pass audio to zone 2 and zone 3 (which I use for the rest of the house and outside) via a digital (HDMI) connection.

Works perfect, when I want to listen to XM in the other rooms I just go to the input source in zone two/three that has the analog connection to it.

·
4 Posts
[I would like to connect the "audio out" also to my recv/amp so that I can tune to the XM music channels and then turn off the TV and still have the audio playing out through the recv/amp.]

Most receivers specify the digital audio inputs for specific sources, and come with defaults already set up. Its very likely that your optical input is configured for another source (e.g. DVD). Check your digital input configs.

Optical cables are also a bit finicky. You need to make sure the cable is inserted all the way on both ends. There should be a bit of a "snap" into place when it is inserted properly.

·
Passed away April 24, 2010
608 Posts
DWSnj said:

I'm doing that right now.

I have the optical output of the HR20 going into a Denon receiver. Turning off the TV has no effect on the audio.

I also have a standard RCA cable going from the HR30 to an audio/video transmitter. This then sends a signal to a reciever in the kitchen connected to a pair of Philips computer speakers so I can listen in the other part of the house.

As mention before, you just need to make sure that the HR20 isn't accidentally being turned off.

·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP!

Have got it working now.....needed to use another "audio in" on the H/K receiver.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.