DBSTalk Forum banner

Using HR34 as an Ethernet-DECA bridge

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Stuart Sweet 
"kpfleming" said:
So yeah, I know this is way outside what DirecTV would officially support, but I'll document it here anyway in case it helps anyone else.

We recently moved into a new-to-us 40 year old house, with almost no useful wiring. The cable company brought service for Internet access into our office, and the DirecTV installer put a new dish on the house. We brought with us an HR34 and two H25s. None of the receivers are located where the cable modem is, though, so the installer put our CCK in there, bridging between the DECA network on the new satellite coax wiring he installed and our wired network in the office. The HR34 and the H25s get Internet access over DECA, and they are happy.

However, there are other devices in our entertainment center that require (or work better with) wired Internet connections, and in this new house I didn't have any way to provide them. I debated putting in a WiFi-Ethernet bridge, but I haven't been happy with their reliability or speed in the past. Since the HR34 has a DECA-Ethernet bridge in it, I decided to try using it... and it works just fine :)

So, we have this: Cable Modem <-> Wired/WiFi router <-> CCK (wired) <-> DECA network <-> HR34 <-> Wired switch <-> TV/Blu-Ray/Mac Mini.
You can also use a CCK to work as a bridge if I remember correctly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.