DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Legend
Joined
·
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are going to our summer home for 3 weeks of RnR soon. I recently got a new installation of a HR34 and HR-24. The HR-34 has a power thingy connected to it. THe cable goes to a box under the house with a lot of connectors on it. From there 1 wire goes to the Dish. This was all installed a few months ago and I do not want to mess with the installation except to disconnect one DVR.

I have a Directv Dish stored in my garage with a 4 or 5 year LNB which is a Slimline oval dish- a big one and says DTVSDLNB on the LNB. It says builtin Multi Switch. It has 4 connectors on the LNB. Also my summer house has an old circa 1990's 18inch round Directv Dish on the house. Wire already is hooked up in the house. However it has not been used for 12 years or so.

WHat do I need to take for a bare minimum installation?

1. Which DVR should I take? Which one would be the easiest to get working?
2. Should I drag the 5 year old dish along or will the 18 inch Dish be ok?
4. Do I need to take the power thingy that is hanging on the HR-34 with me?
5. Does the Hr-24 need the power thingy?
6. Is there a Receiver setup I have to do after hooking up one of the DVR's to a different Dish?

I can not get to the power thingy easily but it is connected in series with the coax coming out of the HR-34. It is also plugged into a wall socket.

I do not care about getting HD. I need only one tuner. I do not spend a lot of time watching tv when the lake is only 50 ft away. However, we are in the boonies and no local reception is possible. I want to receive the standard basic Directv channels like CNN, Discovery etc.

Is it doable with what I already have in the way of equipment? I know how to aim the dish and have a basic satellite meter which I have used in the past with Dish Network equipment.

Thanks
 

·
Genius.
Joined
·
20,073 Posts
you best bet is to take the HR24 since the HR34 requires a SWM system. also depending how far your summer house is, depends whether you get locals or not.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
12,874 Posts
Lazy Senior said:
I have a Directv Dish stored in my garage with a 4 or 5 year LNB which is a Slimline oval dish- a big one and says DTVSDLNB on the LNB. It says builtin Multi Switch. It has 4 connectors on the LNB. Also my summer house has an old circa 1990's 18inch round Directv Dish on the house. Wire already is hooked up in the house. However it has not been used for 12 years or so.
Either of those dishes is only going to give you an SD signal. If that is adequate for your vacation, just use the 18" round dish you already have there.
Lazy Senior said:
WHat do I need to take for a bare minimum installation?

1. Which DVR should I take? Which one would be the easiest to get working?
As noted above, take the HR24.
Lazy Senior said:
2. Should I drag the 5 year old dish along or will the 18 inch Dish be ok?
18" should do the job for SD. Neither will do HD.
Lazy Senior said:
4. Do I need to take the power thingy that is hanging on the HR-34 with me?
No, that is only for the SWM dish on your house.
Lazy Senior said:
5. Does the Hr-24 need the power thingy?
Not for the dishes you are considering. It would IF you had an SWM dish.
Lazy Senior said:
6. Is there a Receiver setup I have to do after hooking up one of the DVR's to a different Dish?
Yes, and this will probably be the hardest part of your project. Hook up the HR24 at the new location, connected to the 18" dish. On power up, it won't find anything because it is set for SWM. Go into satellite setup and select the 18" round dish with multiswitch (probably the first menu option). Then continue from there. You will only get SD channels.
Lazy Senior said:
Is it doable with what I already have in the way of equipment? I know how to aim the dish and have a basic satellite meter which I have used in the past with Dish Network equipment.
Hopefully your old 18" dish is still aimed. If not, then you can use your meter and aim that, it is an easy dish to align.
 

·
Legend
Joined
·
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Carl6. Your answer was very helpful and your instructions was exactly what I was looking for. The HR-24 and the 18 inch Dish are going be introduced to each other.

FWIW I had used the 18 inch Dish many many years ago when I was a "Early" Directv customer. You are right, the 18 inch round Dish was very easy to aim. I remember when Walmart and Montgomery Ward used to sell them for around $50 - with a receiver..

I am rather surprised that it will still be compatible with a newer DVR. SD is fine, anything is good in the Boonies.
 

·
Godfather
Joined
·
433 Posts
Get a portable slimline for just over a hundred bucks and take whatever you want. Both is that suits you. That is what we use as we are on the road full time.

And the best part will be when you cuss whoever took out the tone to tune on the DTV DVRs.
 

·
AllStar
Joined
·
97 Posts
Lazy Senior said:
I have a Directv Dish stored in my garage with a 4 or 5 year LNB which is a Slimline oval dish- a big one and says DTVSDLNB on the LNB. It says builtin Multi Switch. It has 4 connectors on the LNB. Also my summer house has an old circa 1990's 18inch round Directv Dish on the house. Wire already is hooked up in the house. However it has not been used for 12 years or so.

WHat do I need to take for a bare minimum installation?

2. Should I drag the 5 year old dish along or will the 18 inch Dish be ok?

I do not care about getting HD. I need only one tuner. I do not spend a lot of time watching tv when the lake is only 50 ft away. However, we are in the boonies and no local reception is possible. I want to receive the standard basic Directv channels like CNN, Discovery etc.
As you're satisfied with SD, the 18" dish already mounted is, as discussed, sufficient. However if your slimline dish is like this, it is capable of receiving an HD signal. Mounting it is a bit more hassle, but many of us do it frequently with tripod mounts when out in an RV. Yours would only need to be aimed once.
 

·
Godfather
Joined
·
433 Posts
Lije Baley said:
As you're satisfied with SD, the 18" dish already mounted is, as discussed, sufficient. However if your slimline dish is like this, it is capable of receiving an HD signal. Mounting it is a bit more hassle, but many of us do it frequently with tripod mounts when out in an RV. Yours would only need to be aimed once.
If you use a tripod, be sure to have a tie down system to hold the dish firmly in place. If you do not and the wind blows, that dish makes as good a sail as it does a reflector.
 

·
Legend
Joined
·
698 Posts
I'll give you an alternative: I spend more time at my summer home on the lake, and what I did is call DTV's mover's connection, and tell them I was moving. Because it had been only a short time since my original installation at my winter home, they charged me about $80 to have the service guy come out, install a new Slimline SWM HD dish, SWM splitter and power inserter (that "power thingy") and align the dish. Now I go back and forth between the two locations, bringing the two receivers with me, and plugging them in when I get there. Since my two locations are 700 miles apart, I have to call DTV and have them switch my local stations in order to get NBC,CBS,ABC, FOX, and PBS. If you are close enough to your primary home, that would not be necessary in the future. I spend roughly 6 months at each location, so it is not a big deal to have them switch.
 

·
Legend
Joined
·
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
tomspeer46 said:
I'll give you an alternative: I spend more time at my summer home on the lake, and what I did is call DTV's mover's connection, and tell them I was moving.

I spend roughly 6 months at each location, so it is not a big deal to have them switch.
If the summer home was closer to me I would probably do this. I live in S.IL and the summer house is in N. Wi about 800 miles away. My mother-inlaw owns it, no one uses it but me and the wife. We spend 3 weeks up there usually every year. We watch little TV, there are too many other things to do. FOr the last several years I have been using Dish Network up there. In fact my Dish Network dish is up there, I mounted that on a pier pole, it was the only place I could find that would miss the trees. Of course every year the pier comes out of the water as does the satellite dish.

The Directv 18 inch Dish is permanently mounted on the side of the garage. It has not been used for many years. Last time I used it was with a Directv SD receiver.

I can do without HD, all I really want is CNN and Discovery channel, my wife wants Lifetime.

Is there a web link I can see what channels I will receive on this 18 inch dish, a HR-24, only SD channels?

Thanks to all.
 

·
Legend
Joined
·
698 Posts
You can download the spreadsheets in this thread: http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=203806

But, the simple answer is that you will get all of the national channels in SD. They are all on satellites at 101 degrees west latitude, which is where your 18" dish should be pointing. Whatever you are authorized to get on your home setup, with the exception of your local broadcast channels, will be there.
 

·
Godfather
Joined
·
673 Posts
harsh is correct about the older slimline getting HD. so +1
If you take the HR-24 you will indeed need to change the setup to a standard multi switch.
One thing overlooked that you will need to do is change your guide channels.
menu > settings and help > settings > display > preferences
Change "hide sd duplicates" to either "hide hd channels" or "show all channels", otherwise the receiver will be looking for only hd channels with any channel that has hd simulcast and will give connectivity errors. Quick and easy change and if you do this more than once it will become second nature.
Enjoy the R&R

note: after changing guide channels the receiver may bog down for a few minutes while making the changes but becomes spritely soon after
 

·
Legend
Joined
·
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
goinsleeper said:
harsh is correct about the older slimline getting HD. so +1
If you take the HR-24 you will indeed need to change the setup to a standard multi switch.
One thing overlooked that you will need to do is change your guide channels.
menu > settings and help > settings > display > preferences
Change "hide sd duplicates" to either "hide hd channels" or "show all channels", otherwise the receiver will be looking for only hd channels with any channel that has hd simulcast and will give connectivity errors.
You probably saved me a lot of agony and frustration. I had completely forgotten about that. Thank you, Thank you. I really appreciate all the info I have gotten.
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top