DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
AllStar
66 Posts
Schyler said:
Does the fan inside the HR20 run at variable speeds depending on temperature?

When I first plugged it in, it was nearly silent. As time went on, and the unit got hotter, it also seemed to get louder. Eventually it had kind of a repeating resonance that cycled every five seconds or so.

Could be my imagination, but it is sitting on top of a DirecTiVo, and it is running at 129 degrees... it would seem logical that the fan moves faster as the machine warms up.

If that's the case, I'll relocate it to cool/quiet it down. Does anyone know for sure?
If it has three wires going to it, it's fixed speed. If it has four, it's variable based on temperature. Open it up and take a look.

·
AllStar
66 Posts
harsh said:
I can't say I've ever seen a four-wire computer fan. In most modern computers, the motherboard controls the speed of the fans, not the fans themselves. By the time the fan figures out it is getting hot, it is probably too late.

It would appear that since the temperature stabilizes at 129F regardless of ambient, it must be speed controlled (or that's where the thermometer tops out).
There are some four-wire fans (actually any modern Intel Boxed CPU such as a Pentium D805, Core 2 Duo, ...) will come with a four wire fan these days. But, these are CPU, not case fans.

I haven't had my coffe yet, and wasn't thinking straight. It could be a three wire variable speed fan.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.