DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
New Texan
11,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I decided to drop by the Verizon store to see if I was eligible to upgrade my Droid X to something that is 4G as well as keep my unlimited data plan. Apparently, both of my phones on my family plan are eligible. However, I was dissuaded from the Galaxy Nexus because of some issues and high returns on the 4G for the Nexus, and was pointed towards the Maxx for the longer battery life.

Anyone heard of this?

·
DaBears
6,085 Posts
I've have the Nexus from day one and it's been rock solid. While I've enjoyed Motorola phones, mainly due to the accessories, the Nexus is the only phone I'd get right now. If you're preserving your unlimited data then I'd get it. You have 30 days to change your mind but not having any extra crap loaded on the phone without having to root and run a custom rom is more of a blessing than people will realize.

I've done custom roms on many other phones, and while they're good if you enjoy keeping up with technology, for most people it becomes a hassle due to the work arounds needed.

·
Registered
14,514 Posts
I've had the Nexus since the first week and love it except for one recurring issue: it randomly reboots. The good news is this is the fastest booting phone I've seen, so it's back up in about 35-60 seconds.

I can't speak to the other phones mentioned, but I would still recommend the G-Nexus...

·
Kwisatz Haderach of Cordcuttery
3,148 Posts
I have experience with both. You can't go wrong with either. The Razr Maxx, though, is AMAZING with regards to battery life.

That said, I still prefer my Galaxy Nexus to the Razr because I want the unfettered Android experience. Razr has the Motoblur skin, and will retain a version of it when it gets upgraded to 4.0.

·
MRVing
4,117 Posts
I've been real happy with my Rezound, screen is better than the Motorola. I like being able to change the battery, and have an extended battery for my Rezound.
I'd look at what's new coming out, maybe a quad-core.

·
Hall Of Fame
5,251 Posts
dettxw said:
I've been real happy with my Rezound, screen is better than the Motorola. I like being able to change the battery, and have an extended battery for my Rezound.
I'd look at what's new coming out, maybe a quad-core.
Yeah, those are both extremely important when you have a Rezound. That thing on the stock battery barely makes it until noon.

I said it earlier, and I'll say it again, the Incredible 4G is going to smoke anything currently available on VZW. The S4 processor in it is beating the quad-core Tegra 3 on benchmarks, and since it has LTE on the chip, it is much better on battery than any other current LTE phone.

It's going to be a beast....whenever they finally release it (current rumor is May 31).

·
Hall Of Fame
5,251 Posts
NickFluth said:
They just announce the Galaxy S III for Verizon today.... sounding like a June 21st release if you can wait.
I can never figure out how people like Samsung phones. Every Samsung I have used has been sub par, in my opinion. And I certainly wouldn't count on anything like all day battery performance with a 4.8" screen.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,970 Posts
hilmar2k said:
Yeah, those are both extremely important when you have a Rezound. That thing on the stock battery barely makes it until noon.

I said it earlier, and I'll say it again, the Incredible 4G is going to smoke anything currently available on VZW. The S4 processor in it is beating the quad-core Tegra 3 on benchmarks, and since it has LTE on the chip, it is much better on battery than any other current LTE phone.

It's going to be a beast....whenever they finally release it (current rumor is May 31).
I don't care how fast it is, unless the changes to Sense are major improvements I would rather carry the G-Nex (or even my original Droid). HTC has completely screwed up several other "fast" phones with that UI.

·
Kwisatz Haderach of Cordcuttery
3,148 Posts
hilmar2k said:
I can never figure out how people like Samsung phones. Every Samsung I have used has been sub par, in my opinion. And I certainly wouldn't count on anything like all day battery performance with a 4.8" screen.
Never used a Galaxy Nexus, huh?

·
New Texan
11,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
hilmar2k said:

Is it out yet?

I'm leaning towards the Motorola Razr Maxx for the battery life, and have my fingers crossed on the Ice Cream Sandwich upgrade. The acquisition date will be this Friday (aka payday).

It still sucks that I have to do this now, but I'm hanging on to my unlimited plan.

·
Hall Of Fame
5,251 Posts
Mark Holtz said:
Is it out yet?

I'm leaning towards the Motorola Razr Maxx for the battery life, and have my fingers crossed on the Ice Cream Sandwich upgrade. The acquisition date will be this Friday (aka payday).

It still sucks that I have to do this now, but I'm hanging on to my unlimited plan.
Not yet. It will be this month, just not sure when. I will be getting it on release date. It's going to smoke the RAZR MAXX (and the Nexus).

·
Hall Of Fame
5,251 Posts
Mark Holtz said:
What about the Samsung Galaxy S III?
Same processor as the Incredible 4G, more RAM (2GB instead of 1GB) and a ridiculously big screen. I just couldn't imagine carrying around a phone that big. I also prefer SLCD2 screens to Super AMOLED. The colors on AMOLED screens are way too saturated and unrealistic. The screen on the Inc4G is amazing.

·
New Texan
11,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I pulled the trigger this morning and pre-ordered the Galaxy S III. Now, to wait a month until it arrives and hopefully it's a good phone. It's rare that I pre-order a electronics device.

More importantly..... I STILL HAVE MY UNLIMITED DATA PLAN!!!!!

·
Hall Of Fame
5,251 Posts
Mark Holtz said:
I pulled the trigger this morning and pre-ordered the Galaxy S III. Now, to wait a month until it arrives and hopefully it's a good phone. It's rare that I pre-order a electronics device.

More importantly..... I STILL HAVE MY UNLIMITED DATA PLAN!!!!!
Release date for the Galaxy S III is June 28th, and June 21st for the Inc4G. You'll have to report back and let us know how the GSIII is. I'll probably grab the Inc4G on release day, so we can compare notes.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.