http://news.verizonwireless.com/news/2012/06/pr2012-06-11e.html

Not sure if it would help me or not.

3x smartphones @ $40 - $120
2x phones @ $30 - $60
iPad @ $10 - $10
Shared data (6GB) - $80

Total - $270 plus taxes and fees.

That is more than I am paying AT&T now.

Even if I left the 2 non-smart phones at AT&T, just moving the 3 iPhones over still keeps me around the same price but gives me shared data (have never gone over) and free hotspotting makes it tempting. Especially the hotspotting.

Hoping AT&T will follow with something a little better.

·
Chancellor
9,094 Posts
Herdfan said:
Verizon has announced a shared data plan for cell phones:
The fact that the cheapest plan to have two smartphones on Verizon Wireless will be $150 is INSANE!!

I was really hoping that they would actually have a cheaper monthly fee in order to get grandfathered customers to tiered data plans, but I guess that was naive.

As I stated in another thread, I may have to give some serious thought about ending my affiliation with Verizon and go back to PagePlus pre-paid with a plain cell phone. :(

·
Hall Of Fame
5,251 Posts
It'll actually save me some money. We have 5 smart phones with 1400 minutes ans unlimited texting. We also use very little data, since I am the big user and I'm always on wifi. So we'd be at 5x$40 and $50 in data, $250 total. We're paying a little over $300 now. And getting tethering thrown in is a nice bonus.

·
Know Nothing
6,270 Posts
I've had a TracFone for over a year now. If you use a phone as a phone and watch for special deals and promo codes, you can easily stay under $10/mo.

·
Know Nothing
6,270 Posts
hilmar2k said:
We're paying a little over $300 now.
That's more than all of my monthly utilities combined including Dish, phone/DSL, electric and water.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,006 Posts
The data plans are way overpriced in my opinion. :nono2:

These companies are making way too much money over whats quickly becoming a necessity of American life.

Every kid I see now days has a new touch screen smart phone.

The new Galaxy S III smart phone has 9 million preorders.

·
Hall Of Fame
3,243 Posts
Matt9876 said:

These companies are making way too much money over whats quickly becoming a necessity of American life.

A cell phone may be a necessity in some cases, but a smartphone certainly is not. True, I'm retired, but I've been getting by with an AT&T GoPhone prepaid $25 per 3 months plan for several years.

·
Godfather
342 Posts
Matt9876 said:

Totally agree. Today, 2GB of data on Verizon's network costs $30. June 28th, the same 2GB will cost $60 with the only added benefit being the ability to split that measly amount among multiple devices.

Between 4 smart phones, we've used 180 minutes of our 700min/month plan, with 7 days left in our billing cycle. The extra we'll have to pay for unlimited minutes on the smartphone access fee is wasted on us.

·
Chancellor
9,094 Posts
billsharpe said:
A cell phone may be a necessity in some cases, but a smartphone certainly is not. True, I'm retired, but I've been getting by with an AT&T GoPhone prepaid $25 per 3 months plan for several years.
True... prior to joining Verizon almost two years ago, I was pre-paid for several years.

I think one of the issues though is that the cell phone companies and manufacturers are really pushing the smartphones.

Try going in Verizon or AT&T where I live and it's one smartphone after another, but very few, if any regular phones... and of the phones that aren't smartphones, most of them appear cheap and kid-like.

I know some people who were upset last year by the lack of variety in regular phones, but didn't want to upgrade to a smart phone due to the fees associated with it.

I also remember hearing on the radio earlier this year that the majority of traffic the cell phone companies receive is texts and data... very little of it is voice.

~Alan

·
Registered
14,514 Posts
For me, I have one smartphone and one tablet, paying $29.99 for unlimited data on my phone and $10 for 500 messages on my phone, plus $20 for 1GB data on my tablet. So $59.99 total.

I see nothing in the new plans that would make me want to change what I have.

·
Hall Of Fame
2,728 Posts
Can you opt to keep your current plan rather than moving to the new plan?

EDIT---Nevermind, found my answer:

"Customers are free to keep their existing plans, but there is no fee or contract extension to move to the new Share Everything Plans. To help customers determine the best Share Everything Plan option, Verizon Wireless has created an easy to use online tool at www.verizonwireless.com/ShareEverything."

·
Hall Of Fame
5,251 Posts
keith_benedict said:
Totally agree. Today, 2GB of data on Verizon's network costs $30. June 28th, the same 2GB will cost $60 with the only added benefit being the ability to split that measly amount among multiple devices.

Between 4 smart phones, we've used 180 minutes of our 700min/month plan, with 7 days left in our billing cycle. The extra we'll have to pay for unlimited minutes on the smartphone access fee is wasted on us.
So don't switch to the new plans.

·
Chancellor
9,094 Posts
raott said:
Can you opt to keep your current plan rather than moving to the new plan?

EDIT---Nevermind, found my answer:

"Customers are free to keep their existing plans, but there is no fee or contract extension to move to the new Share Everything Plans. To help customers determine the best Share Everything Plan option, Verizon Wireless has created an easy to use online tool at www.verizonwireless.com/ShareEverything."
Any new contracts, phone upgrades, etc. will force you to the new plans though. :(

hilmar2k said:
So don't switch to the new plans.
See above! ^ :(

~Alan

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.