DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I spoke with Dish today and they told me that the 501 will be getting software version 140 pretty soon but it is only another maintenance upgrade. I was hoping that it would be a search feature upgrade

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't mean to be sarcastic but why does anyone want caller ID on TV?

I would think it would be annoying.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Geronimo, your probably right. :D I just think I want it. :D
I certainly would like to have the option to turn it on or off.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have caller ID on my 6000 and I like it. When the name and number pops up on the screen it allows me to see who's calling so I can decide if I'm going to get my lazy butt up from the couch to answer the phone.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Not for me. I just have bare-bones phone service, having removed the CallerID and call-forwarding at the end of Decembmer and use my home line as a dataline only.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I miss the callerid from my 5000 reciever... because I too am lazy. However, it does preclude the need to purchase a cordless phone with callerid.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Marissadad,
did they say they had gotten any new features, or did it appear to be a maintenance upgrade?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
There's a horrible awful downside to on-satellite receiver callerid - if you forget to turn it off before you record something! It would be much better to have it built into your TV/Projector/Monitor/Plasma Screen/whatever you display on.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
When this was first rumored we were talking about the issue of a callerid window popping up in the middle of the recording. We speculated ( with a little inside knowledge, I think) that at least on a pvr, since the callerid data wasn't in the sat stream, it wouldn't get recorded.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just a response to "why would anyone want CallerID on their TV".

I had CallerID on my 5000 and it was a godsend. I miss it more than anything. Owning two businesses, my TV-time was my escape. My phone rang off the hook and each time I had to get up, go to the "CallerID box" and see who's calling to determine if I should get it or let it go to the machine. Not to mention those idiot "Out of Area" telemarketers. With the on-screen popup, it was great.

Further, I have a vision problem and the "Box" is kinda hard for me to read (especially in dim light). With the CallerID popup on my widescreen, I could read it from across the house.

I really miss that in the 501 and intend to write Dish to make sure they know I want it.

Thanks for listening.

Dave

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.