DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Legend
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a problem with a couple of programs that are on at same time. When I programmed the 3rd show for season pass it showed me 2 conflicting programs and gave me a choice of cancelling one of them or, record when possible, which I always choose. I have a couple of programs that show these will not record because of conflicting shows. Now I have to manually pick a time. Shouldn't this happen automaticly? I've even gone to the guide and recorded a season pass for the show at a "3am time", as a first run show, it always goes back to the original showing and telling me it will not record.. If I choose "Both or Rerun" it will record all of of them...Any help? Thank you.

· Premium Member
41,526 Posts
Your sig shows 2 DVRs, which is how I get around this.
I setup my local SLs, with the netwroks being split between the two [NBC & CBS on one, and ABC & Fox on the other].
I then move these to the highest priorities.
Then for the "cable channels" they're split between the two but below the locals.
Cable channels re-air normally 3 hours later and I haven't missed a recording since.
Since I have MRV, the playlist will show 3 or 4 recordings going on at the same time.

· Registered
8,671 Posts
if one or more of the shows repeats later set it as last in SL manager.. it will then skip 1st airing and record the later one automaticaly..

· Registered
5,530 Posts
TomCat said:
Ya think? Not reliably, that's for sure.
I have never missed a recording by allowing the DVR to do its "thing", it has always recorded the later showing of the bumped program.
Of course, the program does not usually (ever?) show up in the to-do list, which makes people nervous.....

· Always Searching
1,940 Posts
texasbrit said:
Of course, the program does not usually (ever?) show up in the to-do list, which makes people nervous.....
This has been my experience as well, and the reason most do not think the later showing will record. In my case the later showing has always recorded, but for some reason it doesn't always record the next available showing (if there are several to choose from.)

· Legend
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
When I see the conflict, I usually go to the guide and set a later showing...I will do as suggested, set it last in the list, and wait and see. I did call, they said to set the program to Season Pass on a later date, say, 3am, that works for the first show after that I get conflicts on the first showing. Thanks for all the help!!

· Mentor
86 Posts
Side-bar to the above - if I set a one time recording that has a conflict, cancel one of the conflicting from the setup screen I'm in, where the conflicting and canceled program has a later showing ... "should" it record the later showing, or did I just cancel the recording altogether?

I always go and set the cancelled one manually and don't know if I should bother.

· Always Searching
1,940 Posts
fjames said:
Side-bar to the above - if I set a one time recording that has a conflict, cancel one of the conflicting from the setup screen I'm in, where the conflicting and canceled program has a later showing ... "should" it record the later showing, or did I just cancel the recording altogether?

I always go and set the cancelled one manually and don't know if I should bother.
It's been my experience that it will record the later showing in your example (but not always the next showing.) As was mentioned, it won't show in the ToDo list though.

· Broadcast Engineer
4,146 Posts
dsw2112 said:
This has been my experience as well, and the reason most do not think the later showing will record. In my case the later showing has always recorded, but for some reason it doesn't always record the next available showing (if there are several to choose from.)
So either you guys are just "special" :grin: or I am expecting too much? Micromanaging the record list too much? (I have an excuse; I was a former battered DISH subscriber; you either micromanaged the DVR or missed a ton of recordings)

So if I just close my eyes and "use the force"; ignore that it won't say it will record, it will actually record the programs you want it to even if that is not reflected in the To Do List?

Go figure. I guess I will have to experiment.

· Always Searching
1,940 Posts
TomCat said:
So either you guys are just "special" :grin: or I am expecting too much? Micromanaging the record list too much? (I have an excuse; I was a former battered DISH subscriber; you either micromanaged the DVR or missed a ton of recordings)

So if I just close my eyes and "use the force"; ignore that it won't say it will record, it will actually record the programs you want it to even if that is not reflected in the To Do List?

Go figure. I guess I will have to experiment.
:lol:

Ha ha -- not special, but I know where you're coming from. The logic used on conflicts certainly leaves the end user questioning whether a program will record at a later time. Especially when it doesn't record the next showing (out of the several available), and there's a tuner available to do so. There's definitly some improvements that they can make in this area.

· Legend
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Last night I had my first test, I had a conflicting show, I did nothing, at 6pm I had 3 shows to record..It recorded the non-conflicting, the conflicting did not show up on ToDo list, but, was recorded, not on the next available slot but, the second one...IT WORKED!! All this time i've fiddled with the ToDo List and manually changing...NO MORE!! THX ALL

· Mentor
86 Posts
dsw2112 said:
It's been my experience that it will record the later showing in your example (but not always the next showing.) As was mentioned, it won't show in the ToDo list though.
Okay, thanks, I'll just let it ride next time. As a newish sub, I've learned to take ToDo with a grain or two of salt - should be a sticky or something :)

· Registered
5,530 Posts
doo4usc said:
Last night I had my first test, I had a conflicting show, I did nothing, at 6pm I had 3 shows to record..It recorded the non-conflicting, the conflicting did not show up on ToDo list, but, was recorded, not on the next available slot but, the second one...IT WORKED!! All this time i've fiddled with the ToDo List and manually changing...NO MORE!! THX ALL
I keep telling people this works but since the program does not show up on the to-do list everyone gets very nervous....!!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.