DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
1,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if this has been mentioned before but I would hate to see anyone go through what I just went through especially on Christmas (eve)

If you are using Twonky to stream music and photos to your HR20 be aware that everytime you view a picture or listen to a song a copy of that file is placed into a Cache folder in the Twonky Prgram Files folder. My Cache got up to 3.54GB

I am sorry I do not have more time right now to give all of the full details on this but just wanted you all to be aware that this will eat away at your disc space.

All of this can be limited in the Twonky Config page as well.

Merry Christmas!
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
1,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So now that Christmas is over I have a little more time to go over the details of this.

If you look in the config page you will see an "advanced setup" section on the left hand side. Click on this and you will see "Cache Directory" By default this is located at C:/Program Files/Twonkyvision/twonkymedia.db or wherever you installed the Twonky server. This can be changed to any folder on any drive. If you are like me and only have a small boot drive you might want to make sure that you move this location to a folder on a drvie that has lots of space. My C drvie only has 3.8GB free and before I changed locations I had Cached 3.54BG of songs and pictures in that folder. Christmas Eve I played songs and pictures for about 5 hours and it produced 1GB of data in that time alone.

Another tip is to limit the amount of Cache that can be used. I have mine set to 102400 (KB) which is equal to 100MB.

The other thing you might want to consider is clearing the cache from time to time because even if you have a lot of free space this can still build up to be a lot of (imo) wasted space. To clear the Cache all you have to do it delete all of the files in the folder where it is caching to in the first place. I have setup a small BAT file which does this for me. Then all I have to do is click it from my desktop and it will clear the folder.

Hope this helps some of you that may be experience low disk space or slow performace due to low disk space on your primary drvie in your PC.
 

·
Legend
Joined
·
109 Posts
Thank you very much. I've already reduced my cache size. Twonky will automatically delete the oldest cache file to make room for more when it hist the size limit.
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
1,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You are welcome.

I do not see any advantage to having an unlimited Cache. I have lowered mine to 100MB. I only did that just to be safe.

Since the HR20 has to pull the song or picture across the wire there is really no reason to cache them in another folder.

jschuman said:
Thank you very much. I've already reduced my cache size. Twonky will automatically delete the oldest cache file to make room for more when it hist the size limit.
 

·
Lifetime Achiever
Joined
·
30,092 Posts
Mixer said:
You are welcome.

I do not see any advantage to having an unlimited Cache. I have lowered mine to 100MB. I only did that just to be safe.

Since the HR20 has to pull the song or picture across the wire there is really no reason to cache them in another folder.
There probably isn't an advantage with the Cache, with using Twonky and the HR20.

But using Twonky as a Media server, exposed to the internet... where multiple people could access the same file....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,501 Posts
Would the WMP11 serving it up be any different?

I'm getting ready to go get a managed switch and start running some captures on this thing.

I will be posting results to this thread...
http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=74134
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
1,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I honestly do not know if WMP11 uses this same type of chaching system. I know that it does catalogue everything which can take up space depending on how many songs and pictures you have.

Spanky_Partain said:
Would the WMP11 serving it up be any different?

I'm getting ready to go get a managed switch and start running some captures on this thing.

I will be posting results to this thread...
http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=74134
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top