DBSTalk Forum banner

Viacom channels and are HD packages matching others...?

1340 Views 6 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  jclewter79
A couple of questions - Any word on when some of the Viacom channels like NICK are getting added in HD?

Also I'm curious if each of the 3 packages in Turbo HD are trying to match the 3 packages of Top 100, 200 and 250 ( or whatever they're called).

I noticed for instance I have the top 100 but I don't get Animal Planet and Toon Disney. If I were to go up 1 package I'd get them. Its the same with the Bronze package - you don't get them but with Silver you do.

So would it be safe to assume channels like Nick, CMT and others that are in the Top 100 would be added to the Bronze package eventually while channels like FX that aren't in the top 100 will only be added to the Silver or Gold ones?

Thanks
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
According to DirecTv's website, they already have Nick HD. When it will come to Dish, who knows?

As for the rest of the questions, you are correct. Turbo Bronze matches the HD channels offered in the Top 100 package. Turbo Silver matches the HD offered in the Top 200 package, and Turbo Gold matches the HD offered in the Top 250 package. Any new HD channels will very likely follow the same pattern.
snowcat said:
According to DirecTv's website, they already have Nick HD. When it will come to Dish, who knows?

As for the rest of the questions, you are correct. Turbo Bronze matches the HD channels offered in the Top 100 package. Turbo Silver matches the HD offered in the Top 200 package, and Turbo Gold matches the HD offered in the Top 250 package. Any new HD channels will very likely follow the same pattern.
Dish has been in a dispute over GAS which isn't broadcasting. Who knows when Viacom channels will be in HD.
What kind of channel is "GAS"?

Spike is probably the only Viacom channel broadcasting in HD I really wish was available. Whenever Comedy Central can manage to go HD I'll be wanting that pretty badly too. I have a fairly indifferent attitude about NickHD
Some of us have speculated about the 36 channels we're going to get by the end of the year on the thread 36 More HD Channels This Year - What Will They Be? but the Viacom channels were listed in the March Charlie Chat and haven't shown up yet while others not discussed back then have been added. So who knows?
Bobby H said:
What kind of channel is "GAS"?
Nick's Games and Sports channel. Available in AT250 only on DISH Network.

It was available on other systems until earlier this year when Noggin and The N became 24hr channels. It appears that DISH is creating their shared Nog/N channel (which is the 12 hour a day arrangement that Noggin and The N had before) but they are not creating Nick Games - that has to be coming from Nick.

A contract is a contract ... DISH & Nick have a contract to carry Nog/N 12 hrs a day each in AT200 and Nick GAS in AT250. That arrangement remains.
I know that I have said it before but, I will say it again I wish we had the 24 hour noggin channel. I know I have a DVR but that does no good for the 301 in the boys bedroom. Besides, they play different shows at night. Gas is a bunch of recycled crap. Hopefully in the next contract talks 24 hour noggin comes to us.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.