DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Charter Gold Club Member
22,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Best laid plans... :lol:

When looking for an 'el cheapo' computer for a friend who has never owned one, and
just wants to do email, I ran across this one. Clicking on the [VIEW LARGER IMAGE] button,
here's what I got:

Attachments

·
Hall Of Fame
3,363 Posts
"and
just wants to do email, "

Well there is the first lie.

Have him get webtv if e-mail is all he wants. surfing on web tv is awkward but if all yopu do is read and respond to e-mail it works pretty good. My dad gets along fine with it and doesn't even know what a mouse it! Yet, I can send him pictures and he can see those just fine. Doesn't want or need to surf the web.

Most people would use webtv to step into the present day cyberworld and will soon tire of it so if you can determine that the above claim is indeed a lie then get him a nice computer. Most today work fine for the non-power user. Probably a Macbook would be easier for people who aren't interested in lots of applications and just want a simple machine.

·
Charter Gold Club Member
22,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
She's a complete techno-phobe. Webtv would be an option, except that I'm using the
old "you can email your kids and get pics of the grand-kiddos" as ploy to get a pc
into her house in the first place. She does a lot of medical research on behalf of her
husband's medical condition. I really hope (and expect) to get her using the Internet
rather than her having to do research at the library, by phone and by letter.

Webtv (msn.tv) is too limited and when it is in use it would prempt their only tv set.
Several years ago I got a neighbor set up on webtv and have regretted ever since.
It worked fine, but what an compulsive 'forwarder' (idiot) he turned out to be. He was
so clueless that he forwarded personal notes from others, and would even 'forward'
back to me the few emails I had bothered to send to him.

·
Charter Gold Club Member
22,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how did you like the screen print? :grin:

·
Charter Gold Club Member
22,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
BobaBird said:
Thank you for the handy pronunciation guide!
You're certainly welcome! Anytime you need the pronunciation of a word, send
it to me via email and I will email the correct pronunciation back to you. :grin:

·
Hall Of Fame
3,363 Posts
Nick- You are correct about the pictures. I can easily send my Dad pictures but there isn't a way for him to do the same. He can only look at the stuff I send. Of course he doesn't take pictures anymore. If your people are mentally agile, I would never suggest webtv as it is just too limited but it does work well for senior citizens who know how to use a TV set and VCR remote control. BTW- the webtv doesn't have to pre-empt TV as it can be wired so both are still functional. I thought that is the way it could only be done????
What it does do without special phone stuff is tie up a phone line while online. That annoys me at times but given that my dad doesn't surf for long periods it has never become an issue. He only logs on when he sees the red light come on that someone sent him an e-mail. Also, it is still expensive as I pay the bill for my father which is $24.95 a month. That kind of irks me but its something I give back and my dad appreciates it. BTW- Yes, he has learned the key strokes to forward e-mail too. and forwards all my e-mail to my sister. :)

·
Charter Gold Club Member
22,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
"BTW- the webtv doesn't have to pre-empt TV as it can be wired so both are still functional...
Perhaps I should have said "when it is in use it would prempt (the use of) their only tv set"

1 - 8 of 8 Posts