DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Icon
Joined
·
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope this information isn't already asked for here, but I just got back from my 3-week vacation to find OTA enabled and media server capability on my HR-20 - wow, a great early X-mas present! :D Especially since I was ready to buy a new D-link media server!

Now the problem, I'm looking for a wireless option to connect the HR-20 to my network. I don't want to string 75' of cat5 from my PC upstairs to my HT setup (and HR-20) downstairs. I thought I'd ask here first, and maybe someone could recommend a decent and *hopefully* inexpensive method to connect the HR-20 wirelessly to my network? Any information (and possibly links) greatly appreciated! :grin:

Thanks,
Ron
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,558 Posts

·
Legend
Joined
·
213 Posts
Rambler said:
Yeah, I actually have a 802.11b network. But that auction item looks like it's missing the antenna. Good price though if it actually works.
Before I go out and buy a bridge . . . the HR20 can connect to my network through the bridge even if the WEP security is enabled?

Yes, I am a newbie to this stuff, but have mercy on me!
 

·
Icon
Joined
·
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
greenwave said:
Before I go out and buy a bridge . . . the HR20 can connect to my network through the bridge even if the WEP security is enabled?

Yes, I am a newbie to this stuff, but have mercy on me!
The bridge would be setup with the WEP password.
 

·
Legend
Joined
·
213 Posts
I can't seem to find the Netgear wireless bridge (the WGE111) anywhere on line! Anybody know where I can get one?
 

·
Godfather
Joined
·
372 Posts
Rambler said:
I hope this information isn't already asked for here, but I just got back from my 3-week vacation to find OTA enabled and media server capability on my HR-20 - wow, a great early X-mas present! :D Especially since I was ready to buy a new D-link media server!

Now the problem, I'm looking for a wireless option to connect the HR-20 to my network. I don't want to string 75' of cat5 from my PC upstairs to my HT setup (and HR-20) downstairs. I thought I'd ask here first, and maybe someone could recommend a decent and *hopefully* inexpensive method to connect the HR-20 wirelessly to my network? Any information (and possibly links) greatly appreciated! :grin:

Thanks,http://www.buy.com/prod/Buffalo_Turbo_G_High_Power_Wireless_Ethernet_Converter_WLI_TX4_G54HP/q/loc/101/202009413.html
Ron
This Buffalo wireless bridge is $41.50 with free shipping if you use Google checkout at Buy.com. Plus, it has 4 ports and WPA security. I'm waiting for mine to arrive.
 

·
Icon
Joined
·
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Legend
Joined
·
213 Posts
davidord said:
This Buffalo wireless bridge is $41.50 with free shipping if you use Google checkout at Buy.com. Plus, it has 4 ports and WPA security. I'm waiting for mine to arrive.
Is WPA security the same thing as WEP? Do you think there would be any compatibility problems between this Buffalo bridge and a Netgear wireless router?
 

·
Icon
Joined
·
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
greenwave said:
Is WPA security the same thing as WEP? Do you think there would be any compatibility problems between this Buffalo bridge and a Netgear wireless router?
There shouldn't be. But I'd still make sure you can return the item just in case.
 

·
Godfather
Joined
·
314 Posts
greenwave said:
Is WPA security the same thing as WEP? Do you think there would be any compatibility problems between this Buffalo bridge and a Netgear wireless router?
No problem, the Buffalo supports Wireless B and G as well as WPA (TKIP, AES) and WEP 64/128. Your router *should* be able to support ALL these standards unless it is more than a few years old. Either way, it WILL almost guaranteed be able to work with whatever configuration you're using at home.

Also, no WPA and WEP are not the same thing. WPA is a far more secure protocol than WEP. WEP can be hacked in a few minutes by anyone that is even remotely network savvy. With that being said, your neighbor's probably aren't that savvy and they are the only ones close enough to do any sniffing/hacking.
 

·
Legend
Joined
·
213 Posts
ajwillys said:
No problem, the Buffalo supports Wireless B and G as well as WPA (TKIP, AES) and WEP 64/128. Your router *should* be able to support ALL these standards unless it is more than a few years old. Either way, it WILL almost guaranteed be able to work with whatever configuration you're using at home.

Also, no WPA and WEP are not the same thing. WPA is a far more secure protocol than WEP. WEP can be hacked in a few minutes by anyone that is even remotely network savvy. With that being said, your neighbor's probably aren't that savvy and they are the only ones close enough to do any sniffing/hacking.
Great, now along with bird flu, terrorist attacks, religious fundamentalism and global warming, I now also have to worry about my WEP 128-bit network being hacked by Ma and Pa Kettle next door? I guess it's time to upgrade my wireless router to a WPA-enabled device...

Seriously though, thanks. But now you've got me curious about the WEP security. Let's say Ma and Pa Kettle could hack my WEP -- what would they be hacking? Could they hop in my PC? Or, assuming I am savvy enough to figure all this out, my HR20?
 

·
Godfather
Joined
·
469 Posts

·
Godfather
Joined
·
314 Posts
greenwave said:
Great, now along with bird flu, terrorist attacks, religious fundamentalism and global warming, I now also have to worry about my WEP 128-bit network being hacked by Ma and Pa Kettle next door? I guess it's time to upgrade my wireless router to a WPA-enabled device...

Seriously though, thanks. But now you've got me curious about the WEP security. Let's say Ma and Pa Kettle could hack my WEP -- what would they be hacking? Could they hop in my PC? Or, assuming I am savvy enough to figure all this out, my HR20?
What they would be hacking is the ability to 'know' the encryption key that you are using and thus be able to 'see' the traffic that is flowing through the air. Using this, they would have to use other techniques to hack into your pc, gather valuable information, etc.... They could spoof themselves as a trusted person in the network to snoop around, they could gather ssl encrypted traffic and decipher it to get credit card numbers and the list goes on...

In reality, going through your garbage is easier and usually way more successful so unless you're trying to hide government launch codes or something, I wouldn't be TOO concerned with it.

There is a risk and it's not too difficult to reduce the risk but even then, there is still a risk.

So, the short answer is, I'd be more worried about the bird flu :)
 

·
Mentor
Joined
·
45 Posts
I posted this in another thread but will try here as well since no responses yet.

I am having difficulty understanding the initial set up and so far, I have not been able to connect. I have DSL and send a feed from it to an Airport Base Station and then a feed from the Airport Base station to a router which then sends a separate hard line feed to my family room. All my computers see the wireless network and can access the internet with no problem. The hard line in the family room feeds another router and then outputs to a XBOX 360, a PS3 and the HR20. The two game systems see the internet with no problem but the HR20 does not.

The HR20 did have information in the Advanced Set up area after I connected the ethernet line which appeared to be correct but it still told me it could not connect. Here's what I see on the set up sceen:

IP Address: 10.0.1.10
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 10.0.1.1
DNS: 10.0.1.1
Network: Not connected
Internet: Not connected

All the Macs in my household will get a 10.x.x.x number assigned to it from the Airport network and it looks like the HR20 was also assigned one but it does not work.

Any help would be appreciated to enable this.

Thanks,
Paul
 

·
AllStar
Joined
·
61 Posts
I have DSL as well, via Qwest. Will the netgear wireless bridge described above work with my Qwest broadband wireless modem/router, or any other suggestions.

Also, any step by step instructions for the less techno minded like myself would be greatly appreciated on just how to set up the HR 20 on a wireless network (with Qwest modem). I have tried piecing info together from various threads, but I am lost from the get go - I need the basics here. Thanks.. :confused:
 

·
DBSTalk Club Member
Joined
·
118 Posts
I'm using a D-Link DWL-810 wireless bridge on one of my PCs. Well, actually, it's a DWL-800AP+ range extender with 810 firmware on it. (Same hardware) It should work on anything, including the HR20. I've also used a Netgear ME101 before.
 
1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top