Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Cool Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I've been struggling with getting the Buffalo ethernet converter to work properly for me, so I could sure use some help and advice.

First off, I was able to successfully connect my HR20 to the WMP11 server on a non-Viiv PC via a Linksys WGA54G device. However, I had "borrowed" that Linksys from my Slingbox located in another room, so this was just a temporary solution. I decided to try out the Buffalo because of the great buy.com deal I read about here on this forum, plus the fact that it allowed more than one device to connect to it and I can certainly make use of that in my home theatre.

The setup of the Buffalo seemed very strightforward. I have security turned off, MAC address cloning disabled, and just to be safe I also disabled the "frame bursting mode" feature that I believe is specific to Buffalo devices. BTW, the Linksys had also been configured with security and MAC address cloning disabled. The HR20 was configured with a static IP address, and I was able to successfully complete the network connectivity test while connected to the Buffalo.

However, despite my rebooting the HR20 several times, the unit was never able to "see" my WMP server. When I go into the WMP server settings the "unknown device" is showing up there, but I wasn't sure if that was just due to the fact that my PC had previously discovered it while it was connected via the Linksys. So, what I ended up doing was installing WMP11 on a 2nd machine in my home, enabled the media server, and lo and behold the new "unknown device" showed up. However, when I go back to the HR20 it still cannot locate any media servers.

So, I next decide to reconnect the HR20 to the Linksys, reboot the HR20, and when it comes up I now notice that my WMP server now shows a second "unknown device" on my network. This tells me that whatever information gets broadcasted over the network is different between the Linksys and the Buffalo, so WMP thinks they are separate devices. As expected, my HR20 now sees my media server just fine.

Just for fun, I now disconnect the HR20 from the Linksys and plug it back into the Buffalo (without rebooting the HR20), and then I try accessing the media server. At first nothing seems to happen, but after a couple of minutes it somewhow figures things out and surprising I am able to access my media content through the Buffalo!

So, my conclusion thus far is that there is definitely some type of difference between the Linksys and the Buffalo in terms of what happens during the WMP server auto-discovery process. But it sounds like others on this forum are having none of these difficulties with the Buffalo, so I'm quite confused. BTW, my HR20 is running the 10b version of softare, and my wireless AP is a Linksys WRT54GS.

Oh, one last interesting tidbit. I also happen to own a Roku Soundbridge network music player device. The Roku has built-in wireless, but just for fun I disabled it and connected its ethernet port to the Buffalo. No problems whatsoever...the Soundbridge could access my WMP11 audio content just fine. Very strange...

Bob

·
Godfather
372 Posts
blee said:
Hi all,

I've been struggling with getting the Buffalo ethernet converter to work properly for me, so I could sure use some help and advice.

First off, I was able to successfully connect my HR20 to the WMP11 server on a non-Viiv PC via a Linksys WGA54G device. However, I had "borrowed" that Linksys from my Slingbox located in another room, so this was just a temporary solution. I decided to try out the Buffalo because of the great buy.com deal I read about here on this forum, plus the fact that it allowed more than one device to connect to it and I can certainly make use of that in my home theatre.

The setup of the Buffalo seemed very strightforward. I have security turned off, MAC address cloning disabled, and just to be safe I also disabled the "frame bursting mode" feature that I believe is specific to Buffalo devices. BTW, the Linksys had also been configured with security and MAC address cloning disabled. The HR20 was configured with a static IP address, and I was able to successfully complete the network connectivity test while connected to the Buffalo.

However, despite my rebooting the HR20 several times, the unit was never able to "see" my WMP server. When I go into the WMP server settings the "unknown device" is showing up there, but I wasn't sure if that was just due to the fact that my PC had previously discovered it while it was connected via the Linksys. So, what I ended up doing was installing WMP11 on a 2nd machine in my home, enabled the media server, and lo and behold the new "unknown device" showed up. However, when I go back to the HR20 it still cannot locate any media servers.

So, I next decide to reconnect the HR20 to the Linksys, reboot the HR20, and when it comes up I now notice that my WMP server now shows a second "unknown device" on my network. This tells me that whatever information gets broadcasted over the network is different between the Linksys and the Buffalo, so WMP thinks they are separate devices. As expected, my HR20 now sees my media server just fine.

Just for fun, I now disconnect the HR20 from the Linksys and plug it back into the Buffalo (without rebooting the HR20), and then I try accessing the media server. At first nothing seems to happen, but after a couple of minutes it somewhow figures things out and surprising I am able to access my media content through the Buffalo!

So, my conclusion thus far is that there is definitely some type of difference between the Linksys and the Buffalo in terms of what happens during the WMP server auto-discovery process. But it sounds like others on this forum are having none of these difficulties with the Buffalo, so I'm quite confused. BTW, my HR20 is running the 10b version of softare, and my wireless AP is a Linksys WRT54GS.

Oh, one last interesting tidbit. I also happen to own a Roku Soundbridge network music player device. The Roku has built-in wireless, but just for fun I disabled it and connected its ethernet port to the Buffalo. No problems whatsoever...the Soundbridge could access my WMP11 audio content just fine. Very strange...

Bob
I was able to get the Buffalo bridge to work and I have a Linksys WRT54G router. I had trouble accessing the web interface, but it seems you are able to do this. I have WPA security enabled, but I don't think that would make a difference. Make sure you have DHCP enabled. You can access this by hitting the advanced button on the bottom of the screen. Also, try manually assigning an IP address, and make sure you are on the same network. Also, in WMP 11, right click and delete the existing connections for unknown device. So, if it reappears, you will know it is establishing connection from the Buffalo device.

·
Cool Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
davidord said:
I was able to get the Buffalo bridge to work and I have a Linksys WRT54G router. I had trouble accessing the web interface, but it seems you are able to do this. I have WPA security enabled, but I don't think that would make a difference. Make sure you have DHCP enabled. You can access this by hitting the advanced button on the bottom of the screen. Also, try manually assigning an IP address, and make sure you are on the same network. Also, in WMP 11, right click and delete the existing connections for unknown device. So, if it reappears, you will know it is establishing connection from the Buffalo device.
The problem occurs whether I'm using DHCP or assigning a static IP address. In both cases the HR20 passes the directv.com network connectivity test, but in neither case can it browse my WMP content. It seems the WMP only detects a new "unknown device" when I'm connected via the WGA54G, so there's something different about the Buffalo which is causing my problem. But as I said earlier, I can "register" the HR20 with WMP by using the WGA54G and then afterwards swap the connection to the Buffalo and access my WMP content succesfully, so whatever problem may be it's definitely something related to whatever handshaking occurs when the devices first communicate.

·
Registered
5,501 Posts
I had flakey problems with the WMP where it would work then not work after a bit. I use a linksys bridge, see signature. I switched to the twonky solution. It seems to be stable and works well.

Have you tried any firmware updates for the Buffalo?

·
Cool Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Spanky_Partain said:
I had flakey problems with the WMP where it would work then not work after a bit. I use a linksys bridge, see signature. I switched to the twonky solution. It seems to be stable and works well.

Have you tried any firmware updates for the Buffalo?
I checked for firmware updates, but there were none available that were newer than what I was already running.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,914 Posts
blee said:
Hi all,

Bob
This did the trick for me. Thank you! I could not WMP 11 to find anything to connect using the Buffalo at first. After reading your post, I ran a 50 foot CAT 6 cable to the HR20. I defalulted the internet values and rescanned. It passed and immediately thereafter the Music & Photos option appeared in the HR20's Menu. I went to check WMP 11 and there was an "Unknown Device There". I tried the music, seemed good.

Went to reconfigure the Buffalo as the HR20 stole it's IP address creating a conflict. Resolved conflict, connected Buffalo to HR20 and after a minute of handshaking, it KEPT WORKING.

I went to check WMP 11. Now there are 2 unknown devices. Ha. As you said, I deleted one, and it popped right back.

Thanks a lot.

I wonder what would happen now if I reran the internet test on the HR20. I'd be too nervous to to that now, as maybe it would read the info off of the Buffalo? It should be the same though. I'll leave it. Thanks again.

·
Cool Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
mikeny said:
This did the trick for me. Thank you! I could not WMP 11 to find anything to connect using the Buffalo at first. After reading your post, I ran a 50 foot CAT 6 cable to the HR20. I defalulted the internet values and rescanned. It passed and immediately thereafter the Music & Photos option appeared in the HR20's Menu. I went to check WMP 11 and there was an "Unknown Device There". I tried the music, seemed good.

Went to reconfigure the Buffalo as the HR20 stole it's IP address creating a conflict. Resolved conflict, connected Buffalo to HR20 and after a minute of handshaking, it KEPT WORKING.

I went to check WMP 11. Now there are 2 unknown devices. Ha. As you said, I deleted one, and it popped right back.

Thanks a lot.

I wonder what would happen now if I reran the internet test on the HR20. I'd be too nervous to to that now, as maybe it would read the info off of the Buffalo? It should be the same though. I'll leave it. Thanks again.
Glad to hear that my frustration today resulted in your gain :lol: If I were you I would just leave things alone for now. If you ended up restarting the HR20 while connected to the Buffalo you will likely lose connectivity to your WMP...at least that's been my experience.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,914 Posts
blee said:
Glad to hear that my frustration today resulted in your gain :lol: If I were you I would just leave things alone for now. If you ended up restarting the HR20 while connected to the Buffalo you will likely lose connectivity to your WMP...at least that's been my experience.
seems to have already happened. I saw a message that I was disconnceted by the server on the HR20 so I rebooted it. Maybe this was because I was adding filed to the WMP libraries. No more Music & Photos...short lived party.. I think we're on the right track I think. WMP still shows the 2 connected devices but that's probably because of earlier.

Tomorrow, I'll run the cable quickly and try to leave it alone. This may have been because I was trying to uninstall TwonkyVision.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,914 Posts
I reconnected the cat 6 directly from HR20 to the router and I revived the music and photos options, swapped it out again, and used the buffalo for a few minutes, viewing folders off the "server". Then I started to get pop-ups, Profile Mike2 logged off server, Profile Owner logged off server, then the picture froze, song kept plugging and the unit stopped responding to my commands from the remote or face controls.

I had to reboot...and of course when it came back up...no music & photos options.

Any other suggestions. Why am I getting booted off the server, and losing the connection?

·
Cool Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
mikeny said:
I reconnected the cat 6 directly from HR20 to the router and I revived the music and photos options, swapped it out again, and used the buffalo for a few minutes, viewing folders off the "server". Then I started to get pop-ups, Profile Mike2 logged off server, Profile Owner logged off server, then the picture froze, song kept plugging and the unit stopped responding to my commands from the remote or face controls.

I had to reboot...and of course when it came back up...no music & photos options.

Any other suggestions. Why am I getting booted off the server, and losing the connection?
Some of the other Viiv threads seem to indicate that the logoffs are occurring at periodic intervals, so what you're saying isn't all too surprising. I am noticing the same thing now.

I think the HR20 Viiv software is pretty buggy, so I'm just going to sit tight for awhile and see what the next software update brings us. I'm hoping that the issue with the Buffalo has something to do with the buggy HR20 software.

·
Godfather
423 Posts
blee said:
I think the HR20 Viiv software is pretty buggy
This being the initial ViiV release it wouldn't be surprising to find bugs. But failures that happen with non-ViiV systems may not be actual bugs. HR20 was tested and certified with ViiV PCs, and that's probably the only platform that D* officially supports.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,914 Posts
A couple of observations:

When I hardwired the HR20 to the Negear router, the mac address was reported correctly in the routerlogin configuration.

However, after connecting the Buffalo Ethernet Converter, the mac address of the HR20 changed to that of the Ethernet Converter.

Blee you mentioned how you configured it with "disabled MAC address cloning". Is that what happened? I should try disabling the "frame burting" too.

Then again, with this configuration, you're reporting similar problems.

I think when FiOS comes Tuesday, I'm going to ask them to permantly run the cable. I may send back or sell the ethernet converters.

PS I was not impressed with the slide show, or manual photo presentation from what I saw. I like the Wii stretches the photos and it runs much faster. On the Wii, you also see previews of the pics. You can also increase or decrease the amount previewes on your screen, thereby increasing or decreasing the size of them. With the HR20, you'r looking at hundreds of DSC121106.jpg titles.

With that said, if the future is streaming video off your pc, it'll be more worthwhile to have this set-up one way or another and I think that will happen.

·
Cool Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That's very odd that the HR20 was registering with the Buffalo's MAC address. I am certainly no expert in this area, but that doesn't seem right. I mean, what happens when a 2nd device is connected to the Buffalo - does it also register with the Buffalo's MAC address? Actually, I've never been clear on what the MAC address cloning parameter on these wireless bridges really mean. On the Buffalo you can specify "MAC address of this unit" or "MAC address of the first connected device". Does this first option imply that all connected devices inherit the MAC address of the Buffalo? Your observations seem to support this, although I interpreted this setting as pertaining to the Buffalo itself, not to the downstream devices.

I experimented both both settings of this parameter, as well as all combinations of the "bursting" parameter and haven't had success with any of them.

·
Registered
5,501 Posts
Here is what happens with the MAC and the deivces on the network...

When the HR20 is plugged into a cable going to a router or switch, it uses it's own hardware to identify itself on the network and the confiuration is setup in the network in the HR20 software to present itself in that manner.

When a bridge is in place the HR20 software is setup to basically become a pass through device instead of presenting itself to the network with it's own MAC and IP address settings. Those settings and MAC are presented to the network from the bridge.

That is why it is important to use the proper setting in the network setup on the HR20, so it is presented to the network in the proper fashion.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,914 Posts
Spanky_Partain said:
Here is what happens with the MAC and the deivces on the network...

When the HR20 is plugged into a cable going to a router or switch, it uses it's own hardware to identify itself on the network and the confiuration is setup in the network in the HR20 software to present itself in that manner.

When a bridge is in place the HR20 software is setup to basically become a pass through device instead of presenting itself to the network with it's own MAC and IP address settings. Those settings and MAC are presented to the network from the bridge.

That is why it is important to use the proper setting in the network setup on the HR20, so it is presented to the network in the proper fashion.
I hear what your saying, I think and it makes sense. The only part that doesn't back though that up is that if I run, the internet test on the HR20, with it plugged into the bridge, it results in identical readings as compared to being connected to the router for IP address, Subnet Mask, Default Gateway, & DNS.

So when you say to "use the proper setting in the network setup on the HR20" Idon't see anything else to change. It all seems right.....unless with this setup it should be manually changed to something else for this hardware configuration to make it work. I hope I'm clear.

·
Registered
5,501 Posts
When setting up the network via the HR20, you should have seen a selection for a direct connect, a wireless connection, or a connection through a AC adaptor.

This link will also describe the connection type...
http://forums.directv.com/pe/RepositoryFileDownloadServlet/10180530/DIRECTV_ViiV_Final_SM.pdf

This is where it makes it a pass throgh.

I cannot ping or use traceroute form my router to the IP scheme setup on the HR20 but I can to the bridge IP scheme, as it should be.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,914 Posts
Spanky_Partain said:
When setting up the network via the HR20, you should have seen a selection for a direct connect, a wireless connection, or a connection through a AC adaptor.

This link will also describe the connection type...
http://forums.directv.com/pe/RepositoryFileDownloadServlet/10180530/DIRECTV_ViiV_Final_SM.pdf

This is where it makes it a pass throgh.

I cannot ping or use traceroute form my router to the IP scheme setup on the HR20 but I can to the bridge IP scheme, as it should be.
I never saw any selection for Wireless, direct connect or AC adaptor through the GUI of the HR20. I hit Network- Connect Now and I'm pretty pretty sure I was congratulated. That was it. I've cleared the defaults a few times and retried it and I get repeated results.

·
Registered
5,501 Posts
I'm out of ideas...

I did select the wireless scheme when I was prompted during the setup and I use a static IP for the advanced feature.

·
Icon
578 Posts
mikeny said:

This method seems to be my last resort in trying to get my Buffalo ethernet converter working. I just ordered a 100' cat5 cable that I can run from my PC upstairs in the computer room to the HR20 downstairs in the family room. If this method of hardwiring the HR20 then swapping to the Buffalo doesn't work, then I'm just giving up on it. Will post back after I give this method a shot, wish me luck...

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.