DBSTalk Forum banner

What media sharing software are you using?

• Intel ViiV 1.5 server | photos only

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Intel ViiV 1.5 server | music only

• Intel ViiV 1.5 server | both

• Tversity – music only

• Tversity – both

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Many of us have had success setting up the "Media Sharing" functionality of the HR-20. I'm curious as to what people used and what kind of success they've seen.

Plus it gives me a good reason to use a poll.

Hardware/Software

Software: Windows Media Player 11
Chipset: AMD 2300+

Bugs/Glitches

If I leave music playing unattended, after 2-5 songs the HR-20 disconnects from the media share. I then go back to my PC and restart the "Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service" (which is already running at time of failure) and the HR-20 sees the media share again and I'll able to browse pictures and play music.

EDIT: FOR THOSE USING SOFTWARE OTHER THAN WM11, DO YOU SEE THE ABOVE MENTIONED BUG?

·
Godfather
488 Posts
How are you connecting to the HR-20 with an AMD chip and WMP? The AMD is not part of the ViiV protocol as far as I know (or am I wrong).

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
jgrade said:
How are you connecting to the HR-20 with an AMD chip and WMP? The AMD is not part of the ViiV protocol as far as I know (or am I wrong).
I'm using Windows Media Player 11 media sharing. The HR-20 looks for the Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service running on the PC that's sharing content. I'm not running the ViiV server software although I hear it can be hacked to allow for install on non-ViiV certified workstations.

·
Cool Member
13 Posts
Hey there...

I'm encountering the same problem as yours. I have the same set-up except my chipset is Intel. I thought I was the only one with this problem. Hate to see someone else with it.

Anyone else having this prob?

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
chefmichael said:
Hey there...

I'm encountering the same problem as yours. I have the same set-up except my chipset is Intel. I thought I was the only one with this problem. Hate to see someone else with it.

Anyone else having this prob?
I've seen 3 or 4 others that have had the same issue so we're not alone. However the bigger question for me was aimed at those who are NOT having issues with Windows Media 11. What are they doing differently?

·
Icon
828 Posts
I tried to avoid asking this as long as I can, but I guess feeling embarrassed is not really a new thing for me, lol.

I have a brand new HP m7690m computer with Intel viiv.

I have looked and cannot find anything, (and I _have_ searched) to indicate which version it is running.

Also, how do I start to use viiv to serve the HR20, and in this I include finding viiv? I currently am sharing with WMP11, mostly for photo display.

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
rsblaski said:
I tried to avoid asking this as long as I can, but I guess feeling embarrassed is not really a new thing for me, lol.

I have a brand new HP m7690m computer with Intel viiv.

I have looked and cannot find anything, (and I _have_ searched) to indicate which version it is running.

Also, how do I start to use viiv to serve the HR20? I currently am sharing with WMP11, mostly for photo display.
I believe you have to be running Intel ViiV v1.5 media server. I've heard that if you don't upgrade to ViiV 1.5, you won't be able to access these features.

CLICK HERE for ViiV v1.5
. No, I do not have ViiV, I've just been reading the forums a ton lately! :)

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
Radio Enginerd said:
I believe you have to be running Intel ViiV v1.5 media server. I've heard that if you don't upgrade to ViiV 1.5, you won't be able to access these features.

CLICK HERE for ViiV v1.5
. No, I do not have ViiV, I've just been reading the forums a ton lately! :)
That is for Viiv v1.5.2 media Server
To install, you need to have ViiV v1.5

Which comes with an approved ViiV device.
DirecTV is working with Intel to have the file available to HR20 users

·
Icon
828 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:
That is for Viiv v1.5.2 media Server
To install, you need to have ViiV v1.5

Which comes with an approved ViiV device.
DirecTV is working with Intel to have the file available to HR20 users
Earl,
If I understand correctly, after searching Intel's sites, I have to purchase a hardware device (in addition to my new computer) in order to get ViiV 1.5?
I could find nowhere to download the application itself. Is this not possible? If not, will we be able to get this if the HR20 becomes an approved device? I am currently successfully using WMP 11 to view photos.

Thanks Santa--er, Earl

Rick

ps. ViiV 1.5 would make a nice stocking stuffer. ;-)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.