DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Mentor
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any VIP 622 users who make their own dial tone out there? You know who you are. :)

We are considering a switch to Dish and I would like to make sure the 622 doesn't have any issues with locally generated dial tone, caller ID, or ringing voltage.

We are currently using a Netopia R3100 and previously had a 3Com box online. I also have a Cisco 804 I could install. In the past I have observed that some consumer electronics have a distaste for signalling that doesn't come directly from the telco. I don't know why, offhand, but I have experienced it with a couple of answering machines and a cordless telephone set that couldn't recognize dial tone or hang up properly.

So, anyone have a 622 hooked to any form of ISDN terminal adapter? If so, any problems or issues? I know there shouldn't be any, but if there are, I would like to be aware of them.

Thanks.

·
8 Posts
If you don't have a phone line, you have to pay a $5 surcharge. I opted for this as it was cheaper than a landline (i only use a cell). If you choose this option, make sure dish knows this BEFORE they hook up the installer. If the box can't hook to a phone line, it will display a message, and you can not use the box at all.

·
Mentor
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We have a phone line, two of them in fact, but since they are ISDN lines our own equipment makes the dial tone and rings the phones, etc. The ISDN lines are a standard digital phone service provided by Bell South in our case.

In theory, connected equipment doesn't see anything different than it would if we had conventional POTS lines (Plain Old Telephone Service), but experience teaches us that some equipment has an issue with ISDN terminal adapters. I'm just looking for someone using a 622 on ISDN lines, hopefully to hear they are without issues.

·
8 Posts
TreeFarm said:
We have a phone line, two of them in fact, but since they are ISDN lines our own equipment makes the dial tone and rings the phones, etc. The ISDN lines are a standard digital phone service provided by Bell South in our case.
I can't vouch for the VIP622, but with a DVR942 the unit was happy with our locally generated dial tone.

This was with an older Ascend Pipeline 75 at first, and then an old 3com ISDN Pro TA. Our provider (SBC) only provided calling party ID on the first SPID, and the DVR942 was hooked up to the 2nd SPID, so I have no idea if the on-screen caller ID worked.

Best of luck!

·
Legend
188 Posts
I use Vonage and have no real problems with the artificial dial tone. Caller ID even works perfectly. Somewhere I read about setting your dial out prefex to *99 to minimize problems with the modem. If you have issues, go to Menu > 6 Setup > 1 Installation > 4 Phone Setup and set outside line Prefex Code.

Good luck,
Jeff

·
Icon
599 Posts
Rovingbar said:
Somewhere I read about setting your dial out prefex to *99 to minimize problems with the modem.
Oh geez, talk about a memory jolt.... I remember the modem days when you had to tell it to go ahead and dial even if you don't hear a dial tone. You had to input some 'AT' code. I had to do this when I had telco-provided voice mail and if you had messages waiting, instead of a dial tone, you got some other 'signal'. Typically, modems would NOT dial out in that case.

·
Godfather
279 Posts
Don't know if this helps, but I have a ISDN line to my house as my only Telco line and my telephone and Dish 811 sat receiver is hooked up to a Cisco 804 TA/Router. The sat receiver seems to connect just fine to the ISDN line through the TA.

·
Godfather
279 Posts
The Cisco 804 is a fine piece of hardware once you get it configured properly. The fast and easy setup program that comes with the 804 is not fast and sure as heck isn't easy. I had to program my 804 through the IOS using hyper-terminal. Talk about a crash course in router programming. I read the entire software configuration guide which took a good while considering its the size of a novel. But after 4 days of cussing, spitting, and typing commands I finally got the darn thing programmed correctly.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.