DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I have an installation question for the Dish VIP 622. I want to use only one coaxial between the satellite dish location and the DVR. I live in a "pre-wired" town home, which has one cable in the wall between dish mounting location on my balcony and DVR location. Running the extra coaxial on the exterior will require walking on a tile roof that would easily be damaged, (my neighbors roof leaked after having Direct TV install an extra line over their roof); as well as drilling through a third story masonry wall.
Is the DP44 switch the only way to use just one line between the Dish and the DVR? Will I be able to get this switch on my work order if I call to sign up on the 800 number, or will I have to pay for it myself? I've read on some forums that if I have a "four orbital work order" dish will give you the DP44, but on other forums people have complained that Dish and/or the sub contractors will insist on daisey chaining twp DP34s and/or running extra coaxial lines. I live in Los Angeles. Would this be a four orbital location? I have had Dish previously (over a year ago), and at the time qualified for an extra dish location to receive CBS HD as well as some spanish language programming, but never bothered getting it. I think it was 61.5. At the time I got two sats for my programming. I think they were 110 and 119 on a Dish 500. Is there another sat for the new Voom HD stuff? Do I require enough sats to get the DP44 easily through Dish, or should I phone all the local resellers in my area? Any vendors to recommend in the South Bay (Los Angeles)?
Would I need more than one dish to get a signal from four satellites, or will the dish 1000 handle this in Los Angeles?
I would also want to diplex an HDTV OTA antenna into this one line. Is the feasible?
One more thing, does the DP44 require a power supply? Do I need to "plug it in" out on my balcony?

P.S.
I had a Dish 811, and then switched to Adelphia cable for a free HD-DVR offer. Now that Time Warner has taken over, I have had nothing but problems with my Moxi HD-DVR. Based on other forums that I have read, I think that the problem isn't with my box, but with Time Warner's distribution of the signal. All of the problems began the very day TW "re-aligned" the channels, and added more programming and services to their network.
The picture freezes and audio drops out for several seconds, at least once every five minutes, on both recordings as well as live TV. For the past month they have disabled FF/REW on NBC-HD recordings. It is phone call marathon to get through to anyone there that knows what they are talking about. They refuse to give me a new Time Warner DVR. Who knew I would be pining for the good ol' days of Adelphia!

·
Hall Of Fame
1,295 Posts
If you have two receivers or less. E* can install a DPP Twin LNB on the dish. This setup only uses one coax from the dish to the receiver, and a separator at the receiver to split the cables for the two tuners.

The Dish 1000 has a DPP Twin as standard equipment. It has an internal switch to combine the 110/119/129 signals all onto each output. That handles all the HD that E* offers for SoCal (now that CBS-HD is gone). Are you sure that you need four satellites? There's just a few small markets and some internationals on 148 now.

·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not sure if I need four satellites. Just working on what I remembered from over a year ago and people installing 921's. All I need is a cost effective way to make just one cable work.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,086 Posts
Take this link and go to the Echo Knowledge base and it will show you all that is on each sat from E*. http://www.dishchannelchart.com/
If installed well a D1000 may work fine for you w/110/119/129. If there are signal strength problems then it may take a 2nd dish to be peaked on 129 for the HD. 61.5 mirrors the national HD that is on 129 and there are some specialty channels there but is pretty low look angle for L.A.
All of this and the OTA can come into the house on 1 cable w/ diplexer and correct switch.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.