DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Cool Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a dual LNB on the roof, and two current SD receivers, one of which is the base DVR.

I get perfect HDTV OTA at my location using a rooftop antenna, so all networks and PBS are done. Dish sends down America's top 120.

I'd really like an HDTV PVR for my OTA use. Sadly, no one currently makes one, and those with them are not selling.

Will dish still upgrade me for the $199 fee if I just want the box, without subscribing to HD services ?

I don't need HD locals, and I netflix most of my movies. I don't want to take any of the HD packages, but want the box.

I checked around, but could not find this answered.

Thanks !

·
Mentor
43 Posts
The box requires an HD subscription when acquired for the $199 promo.
You can shop around and do a straight up purchase(higher price), then program package however you like.

·
Hall Of Fame
2,114 Posts
You want to find someone that is going to turn in their 942 to upgrade themselves to a 622. DISH offers a special $100 refund to 942 users that turn theirs in. It cannot be activated for the HD packages, but it records OTA just fine. If you were to use a 622 for your existing AT120, you will be charged an additional $6/month as an HD Enable fee. That would be in addition to the $5.98 DVR fee, and a possible $5/month no phone line fee. Those last two would apply to a 942 as well.

Go ahead and phone about the $199 upgrade and ask if there is a requirement to subscribe to DishHD. Others have done that $199 upgrade to lease a 622 and pay the extra $6/month. DISH is happy to get $6 for not supplying any programming. The written terms to the DISH'n It Up upgrade require an 18 month subscription, but only to DishFAMILY or better - no DishHD sub is required for the lease. You would NOT qualify for the $10/month for 10 months w/o a subscription to some metalic package. That means it would only cost you an additional $4/month to actually subscribe - at least for a trial 10 month period. That offer isn't good forever, but you don't necessarily have to pick it immediately.

·
Cool Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Amherst said:
The box requires an HD subscription when acquired for the $199 promo.
You can shop around and do a straight up purchase(higher price), then program package however you like.
thanks everyone.....

So, if I buy the gadget for the reasonable $500 I see on this site, then I pay a 6.00 hd enable fee...do I pay an additional receiver fee ? gaak:eek2:

Thanks !

·
Hall Of Fame
2,114 Posts
Yes, any receiver that you purchase that isn't your Primary receiver has an "Addl Receiver" fee. Any receiver obtained under DIU has a Lease fee instead of that. If you do choose to lease the 622, it would have a $6/month lease fee in addition to any $6 HD fee, any $5 phone line fee, and the $5.98 DVR fee. A 942 (would have to be purchased) would have all of those except the HD Fee. The HD fee is for any ViP receiver (owned or leased) but the fee is waived with a subscription to HD Bronze or better.

This version is about 6 months old, but has the terms of the DIU agreement at the time. Can't guarantee it matches any current agreement. http://www.dbstalk.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5521&d=1143587313)

·
Hall Of Fame
3,990 Posts
My understanding is - NO metallic package - NO 622 lease.

The 942 idea is a good one, Dish will not activate one as a HD sat receiver, but will as a HD OTA/SD Sat receiver. Just what you're looking for.

·
Hall Of Fame
2,114 Posts
Jim5506 - You certainly aren't alone in that understanding. Someone posts the same weekly. Every time I ask, the answer is that you can lease a 622 and pay the $6. New sub or DIU upgrade. For a new sub, I just now tried:

You have been connected to (01)Abigail C.
(01)Abigail C: Welcome to Dish Network, the home of Better TV for All. How may I assist you in your buying experience?
Bill: I'm interested in a 622 for both the front room and the bedroom on TV2. I'd like to subscribe to AT120. Can I pay the $6 HD Enable fee and not subscribe to HD Bronze?
(01)Abigail C: Let me check.
(01)Abigail C: Please give me a few minutes while I research that information for you.
(01)Abigail C: Yes, you can just pay the $6 enabling fee to have the 622.
(01)Abigail C: Here is a link that you can use as reference and where you can also set-up your Dish Network account.
The agent is sending you to http://www.dishtv.com/systems.jsp.
Bill: Thanks. You used to have annual subscriptions to AT60, AT120, ... Is that still a choice (to take a little bit off that $6?
(01)Abigail C: Please give me a few minutes while I research that information for you.
(01)Abigail C: I apologize but with the current promotion we don't have it available in annual subscription.
(01)Abigail C: Is there anything else that I can help you with in completing your order?
Bill: Does that mean that it isn't available at all, or for the 18 months of the commit it can't be done. Things may change in the next 18 months, but might it be a choice at the end of the term?
(01)Abigail C: Let me verify.
(01)Abigail C: Yes, that's right. Even after the 18 month commitment there's still no option where you can have annual subscription.
When I call and ask about a DIU, I don't know if they are giving me answers specific to someone that already has the old HD Pack or "everybody". So I take a chance Abigail knows. No Joy.

Bill: OK, thanks. Do you know if the existing customer DIU lease is or isn't available with only an AT120 subscription as well?
(01)Abigail C: I apologize, can you tell me what DIU means?
Bill: DISH'n It Up. If someone has an account, they can get the 622 under an agreement (DIU) that may be different from the DHA agreement.
(01)Abigail C: I see.
(01)Abigail C: Are you an existing customer?
Bill: I am, but my first question was for a Family member. While I had you, I thought I'd ask the same thing about myself. You are welcome to just say "new sub questions only"!
(01)Abigail C: I see.
(01)Abigail C: We currently have some great promotions for existing customers, however I have not been trained regarding the details of these offers. Please call Customer Care at 1-800-333-3474 to see what options are available to you.
(01)Abigail C: Do you have any more concerns for the new account that you're setting up?
Bill: Thanks for your help, I'll call.

For a new sub, it is also pretty easy to use the DishBuilder page (if that were the result of anything I worked on, I'd be ashamed). Pick HD DVR and AT anything and HD Enable fee appears. Pick DishHD package and it disappears. At least when it isn't displaying "You can only configure 4 TVs" for a two TV setup!! A new sub clearly can get a 622 for $199 w/o DishHD.

Many existing subs have done the DIU 622 and not subscribed to DishHD. None of this means your understanding isn't entirely correct. One chat or CSR call does not define what is in the agreement(s). Both DHA and DIU agreements list DishFAMILY as a minimum programming commit and both state that the HD Enable fee is waived >IF< you sub to HD Bronze or better. If you are actually required to sub to DishHD, why list a fee being waived >IF< you sub to DishHD?

I'm not clear on the no more annual subscriptions. That may be for DHA subs, maybe everybody. I'll find out in 2007 when my annual AT60 renews.

·
AllStar
53 Posts
I know for a fact that you can lease the 622 without getting an HD metal package because that's the setup I have. I'm paying a few extra fees that I wasn't before (lease fee, dvr fee, hd enable fee) and I paid the $199 one time charge to get the box. The caveat is that you need to be subscribed to local channels in order to get guide data for your HD OTA locals.

Don't let anyone tell you that leasing the 622 requires you to have an HD package, because it just isn't true.

·
Mentor
31 Posts
CricTic said:
I know for a fact that you can lease the 622 without getting an HD metal package because that's the setup I have. I'm paying a few extra fees that I wasn't before (lease fee, dvr fee, hd enable fee) and I paid the $199 one time charge to get the box. The caveat is that you need to be subscribed to local channels in order to get guide data for your HD OTA locals.

Don't let anyone tell you that leasing the 622 requires you to have an HD package, because it just isn't true.
I can vouch for that...

After I upgraded my 811 to a 622, I called up to ask a question about HD (which I'll probably end up asking here eventually...), and they told me I wasn't getting any HD programming yet because I wasn't subscribing to a metal package.

The fact that I could right then and there watch HDNet, HBO-HD and my locals in HD didn't matter to her...as far as she was concerned, I was NOT getting HD programming. I told her thank you and decided that I'd rather stick with the old plan I have now instead of upgrading to the metal package....I'm not getting the MPEG-4 signals I suppose, but I think I'm paying less...Voom stuff isn't THAT great ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.