DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I just got DishHD installed yesterday, with a VIP622 receiver connected to an HDTV plasma via HDMI.

When viewing 4:3 content, I'm noticing that a thin vertical stripe is appearing on the right side of the image. It almost looks like the image is not centered between the pillar vertical black bars and is slightly shifted to the left.

In the other room, I have a VIP211 on an LCD and the image is fine.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mark Lamutt said:
Every channel displaying 4x3, or just particular ones? I see that on one OTA channel here in Denver, but that's it on my set.

BTW, welcome to DBSTalk! :hi:
It's just on certain channels. For example, I'm seeing the stripe on Food Network with the VIP622, but it's fine in the other room with the VIP211.

I also noticed that the guide sometimes cuts off on the bottom with the VIP622, whereas it fits perfectly with the VIP211.

I'm wondering if it's just a firmware thing.

·
Hall Of Fame
2,294 Posts
It still sounds like you are comparing the 211 on a different TV set to the 622 on the plasma.

What you need to do is compare them on the same TV set.

For example I see a white line on the left of WNBC HD on my Tv set. It is only on NBC but it seems to be always there.

What happens if you try the gray bars rather then the black bars? I say that as I can see a difference between them. Or you could use one of the zoom modes. Bottom left of the remote, the * key also labeled format.

As for the guide being cut off, that soinds like the Plasma needs calibration to fix excessive overscan.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,086 Posts
He has posted this on sat guys as well. I have him told to bring the 211 into the room where the 622 is and hook it up too see what happens. So far he hasn't replied to that yet and let us know what is going on. So now it is up to him to troubleshoot it this was are call in someone to do it for him. :rolleyes:

·
Banned
24 Posts
Just to add to what this guy is saying. I have the same problem with some of my channels, with Comcast Sports Net (in the DC area, channel 424) being the worst. It only occurs on SD signals set to 4:3 format. And it happens on both the left and right vertical edges. It almost looks (just like the OP said) like the image isn't centered properly between the two "filler" black-bars. You get a white, almost ghosting vertical line about... 1-2cm wide.

I worried about it then decided I just don't care. It happens over both component and hdmi on my samsung 42" dlp. Haven't and won't try any other sets. Though it didn't happen with my 811 on a 57" sony.

·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
GrayCalx said:
Just to add to what this guy is saying. I have the same problem with some of my channels, with Comcast Sports Net (in the DC area, channel 424) being the worst. It only occurs on SD signals set to 4:3 format. And it happens on both the left and right vertical edges. It almost looks (just like the OP said) like the image isn't centered properly between the two "filler" black-bars. You get a white, almost ghosting vertical line about... 1-2cm wide.

I worried about it then decided I just don't care. It happens over both component and hdmi on my samsung 42" dlp. Haven't and won't try any other sets. Though it didn't happen with my 811 on a 57" sony.
You described the problem a lot better than I did. I've read in some other posts that it's most likely due to how the ViP622 handles over/underscan. Apparently this issue occurred with the 942 and was corrected with a software update, so perhaps a fix will be forthcoming at some point. The VIP211 doesn't seem to have this problem.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.