DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· New Member
Joined
·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone successfully using a 1TB external hard drive with their 722 and if so, could you share the make and model.

On a related note, does anyone know if Dish is planning to support anything larger than a 750GB drive any time soon?

Thanks.
 

· Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
4,010 Posts
Dish does not say a 1TB drive will not work, only that it is not supported - i.e., you are on your own if you have problems.

I do believe they have stated that an external HD with two 500GB drives in an enclosure is very unlikely to work.
 

· Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
15,556 Posts
Jim5506 said:
I do believe they have stated that an external HD with two 500GB drives in an enclosure is very unlikely to work.
This has been indicated on other threads. A single 1Tb External or even larger might work, but apparently that is not true with any drive that is actually multiple.
 

· New Member
Joined
·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am curious though, does anyone know of any technical limitation as to why Dish is only supporting up to 750GB drives? What would be the problem going from a 750GB to 1TB single HD? Maybe this is just an internal policy with Dish and they will eventually raise this.

Just curious.
 

· Beware the Attack Basset
Joined
·
26,563 Posts
Perhaps it is the fact that you can easily use separate drives which is a whole lot safer for your collection from a corruption/failure standpoint. Given the amount of trouble with multiple drive implementations that we've seen, it is probably safer to recommend a single drive solution.

I can't envision it being a filesystem overhead issue as you're only working with one file at a time, but I'd be open to an unbuffered RAID causing delivery delays.
 

· Legend
Joined
·
113 Posts
husker5 said:
I am curious though, does anyone know of any technical limitation as to why Dish is only supporting up to 750GB drives? What would be the problem going from a 750GB to 1TB single HD? Maybe this is just an internal policy with Dish and they will eventually raise this.

Just curious.
I suspect last year(late spring I think?) the limit was set based on what was generally available. I don't remember any TB units readily available. 750's were out of course and $$.
 

· Godfather
Joined
·
352 Posts
husker5 said:
Is anyone successfully using a 1TB external hard drive with their 722 and if so, could you share the make and model.

On a related note, does anyone know if Dish is planning to support anything larger than a 750GB drive any time soon?

Thanks.
Works fine for me. Installed about 3 months ago. Formated to 987GB.
 

· 622 Tips & Trick Keeper
Joined
·
9,883 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top