DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Godfather
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a D* installer knock on my door the other day because he was installing next door. He tried to see me D* saying that starting in 2007 they are going to start installing weatherproof dishes. And I was told that it would take a Hurricane to knock out the sat. He said that with the new sats that D* just put up that they will have 3 sat with the same programing mirroring each other and the receiver will pick the best signal from the 3. Doesn't sound right to me and was wondering if anybody else heard about this. I told him I am happy with my E* and that I might think about D* if they would have a 2 TV receiver. Because I don't want to pay for 4 receivers when E* I only have to have 2.

· Hall Of Fame
21,334 Posts
starting in 2007 they are going to start installing weatherproof dishes.
:lol: I didn't know that DirecTv was even working on a way to defeat the laws of physics. They do keep secrets well don't they?

I would love to get one of these guys making this kind of comment on video somehow. While the theory of having satellites at three spots mirroring eachother and switching between eachother is a nice idea, they don't have the landscape in the sky to do this. The budget to do so would be enormous, tripple the satellite budget currently in the system. They wouldn't do this for the rare rain event. Besides, I also am in south Florida and the number of rain fade events that I get in a year could probably be counted on my hands, not even going to my toes. :D Each event is VERY short and rarely, if ever, during prime viewing hours. If he's still in the neighborhood, track him down and ask him to repeat his claims in front of a video camera. :lol:

· Charter Gold Club Member
22,099 Posts
Zounds! A local D* sat installer try to slam an E* sub -- I bet that's never happened before.

Did he offer to seal your driveway too?

(Maybe E* needs to check into those waterproof dishes, too.)

:sure:

· Godfather
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well That is what the guy told me. He said D* is going to start installing "weatherproof dish" and start using it in 2007. He said they just launched a sat to start this feature.

· Hall Of Fame
21,334 Posts
The bandwidth requirements for Sat Radio is a bit different than HD TV.
Bingo. Not only that, but the SR systems (and orbital space allocations) were designed that way from the get go. There aren't enough DBS slots in the sky to do what this fellow was talking about doing.

· Legend
214 Posts
Richard King said:
Bingo. Not only that, but the SR systems (and orbital space allocations) were designed that way from the get go. There aren't enough DBS slots in the sky to do what this fellow was talking about doing.
Weatherproof Dish - DISH with PAM sprayed on it ... :p

· Hall Of Fame
21,334 Posts
RTCDude said:
This will be great for folks on house boats, as they will be able to moor their dishes under water to avoid the waves.
WOW!!! I never thought of that!!! Great idea. The only problem is that now all installers will have to be registered SCUBA divers. :D

· Mentor
46 Posts
I saw a houseboat with a D* dish mounted on it once. It was docked in a marina where I was visiting friends. I asked the owner about it. He claimed the only time he lost the signal was during a violent thundersorm when the boat was rocked hard by wind gusts. He also claimed he didn't lose signal when his houseboat was rocked by wakes.

I was amazed that a boat mounted dish could be stable enough work on a moored vessel without the fancy tracking equipment that they use on the water toys of the wealthy. I still have a hard time believing it, but I have no reason to think he was lying to me.

· Legend
181 Posts
TreeFarm said:
I saw a houseboat with a D* dish mounted on it once. It was docked in a marina where I was visiting friends. I asked the owner about it. He claimed the only time he lost the signal was during a violent thundersorm when the boat was rocked hard by wind gusts. He also claimed he didn't lose signal when his houseboat was rocked by wakes.

I was amazed that a boat mounted dish could be stable enough work on a moored vessel without the fancy tracking equipment that they use on the water toys of the wealthy. I still have a hard time believing it, but I have no reason to think he was lying to me.
Yes this one is a little hard to swallow.

I live up north and everytime there is wet snow I am in trouble with snow sticking to the dish. Maybe someday there will be heated dishes?

That would be weatherproof enough for me.

· Mentor
46 Posts
Yes616 said:
Yes this one is a little hard to swallow.

I live up north and everytime there is wet snow I am in trouble with snow sticking to the dish. Maybe someday there will be heated dishes?

That would be weatherproof enough for me.
It's true, though. This was down south (Florida), which should provide for a bit stronger signal.

You would be amazed at how many DBS dishes are hooked to docked boats. They are almost always mounted on the pilings, though.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.