DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Hall Of Fame
2,318 Posts
Nah, i dont think youre looking at it correctly. Back when I had a 1mbps connection with comcast (8 years ago) I would download theatrical movies off P2P sites that were 700 mb's with crappy PQ and theyd take a couple of hours. These HD movies are prob in the 6-7 gig range.

Thats whats great about DOD, put a whole bunch in your queue ahead of time, then have them downloaded and waiting. This way they are ready when you are.

· Hall Of Fame
6,417 Posts
D* throttles their VOD downloads at approximately 3mbps. You can usually download SD at 2 to 1 and a 2 hr HD movie takes a little longer than three hours. You can, of course, start watching an HD movie after about a 20 minute, or so, head start. I have a 6mbps DSL. These have been my observations.

· Dry as a bone
12,321 Posts
davring said:
a 2 hr HD movie takes a little longer than three hours.
As I mentioned earlier, 2 hrs of HD takes less than 2 hours to download for me. They must only be throttling certain customers (and I'm glad I'm not one of them).

· Hall Of Fame
6,417 Posts
elwaylite said:
Well, maybe their cap is not 3mbps. How do we know thats the number?
These are the ones I have paid attention to, some may be faster I'm sure. Easy way to test download speed is to run a speed test during a download. The speed test will indicate what is left to be used based on your connection speed. To get the speeds mentioned for HD would be one heck of a good connection. My brother has cable that can, sometimes, achieve those speeds, usually during the night.

· Registered
4,042 Posts
I'm seeing the same issue, I started a VoD download from channel 1889 at 3:00 pm PST and it is still downloading at 10:02 pm PST.

Ran a speed test and included the results below.

Download: 11541 kb/s
Upload: 2559 kb/s

· AllStar
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Draconis said:
I'm seeing the same issue, I started a VoD download from channel 1889 at 3:00 pm PST and it is still downloading at 10:02 pm PST.

Ran a speed test and included the results below.

Download: 11541 kb/s
Upload: 2559 kb/s
Yup.

connection speed via your ISP is not the issue clearly. I get almost 95,000kbps down and 18,000kbps up...

How do we address this?

· Legend
117 Posts
My router running DD-WRT shows the current throughput of data on the connection. On Demand varies, but as far as I've noticed, it tends to stay around 6-7Mbps. That's a bit frustrating on a 15Mbps line, but it's not awful. I imagine over time the speed will get a bit faster.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.