DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Mentor
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to VOD, downloaded several episodes of Mad Men Season 1. Noticed in List that they all had expiration of 8/10, same day I downloaded them. They also all had the little circle-K (Keep) next to them.

When selecting one for more detail, there was a left-hand nav option for Keep... When selecting that, I had choice between "Expire" or "keep until disk full". If I selected "keep until full", the circle-K was removed from the List, contrary to what I expected.

Hmm, what to do. Decided to leave Keep at "Expire" - which left the circle-K in list. Wrong choice. All were deleted overnight. -- Some questions:

1) Do you think I could have saved them by changing that Keep option?

2) Is the glitch with the circle-K, opposite what it should be, unique to me?

3) Now, when trying again to download those episodes again, the AMC VOD channel still shows Mad Men Season 1 in left-hand nav but shows "no episodes available" when selecting.

New to HR20 a few days ago and having lots of issues, some install related, some actual hardware (I think). Hard telling what's going on. Appreciate any thoughts.

· Hall Of Fame
6,417 Posts
I noticed the same expiration dates. I started downloading the first episodes of season two because the picture quality was so much better than broadcast, but now they are due to expire. Kind of a pain. I don't think you can keep them if they show an expiration date.

· Hall Of Fame
12,954 Posts
I just checked and they all say 9/14.

Guess they updated them today. Not sure if you need to redownload or not.

· Hall Of Fame
12,954 Posts
Expiration date overrides all.

· Cool Member
12 Posts
davring said:
I've been taking anything with a close expiration date and burning them to DVD. If they can make the expiration date work on those, I'll give up...:)
What setup do you have that allows you to burn them to DVD? Can you burn with HD quality? That seems to be something I'd be interested in. Thx.

· Godfather
318 Posts
What is the purpose of expiration dates? I think D* should let us keep the VOD recordings in our DVRs. I don't see what the problem is. :nono2:

· Hall Of Fame
1,743 Posts
kw2957 said:
What is the purpose of expiration dates? I think D* should let us keep the VOD recordings in our DVRs. I don't see what the problem is. :nono2:
The expiration is there because of content providers contracts. All Video on Demand services have (available until) expiration dates. The only difference here is DirecTV on Demand requires your DVR to save the content to disk for viewing.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.