DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Cool Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new HR34/H25 setup (new customer) and have the HR34 successfully connected to the internet wirelessly on U-verse provided equipment. I have been trying to record programs via the wireless download method and in every instance there are missing segments (a minute or more here and there) throughout the length of the program. I have tried downloading short (30 minute) programs with no other internet usage on the network occurring during the download with same issue of missing pieces of the program happening during playback.
Playback occurred only after the download was 100% completed.
I have no problems recording from the guide. (from the satellite feed)
I need some help resolving this problem.

·
Super Moderator
42,754 Posts
I've been on Uverse for a while and use the wireless CCK to connect.
I haven't watched "that much" VOD, but have a couple I just downloaded, as I got upgraded to a higher speed this morning.
One thing you might want to look at is how the wireless is setup.
I was having problems at first going through the wireless hop, while watching OTA recordings, which have a higher bit-rate. As these hit 16 Mb/s, I'd get frame dropping [using DirecTV2PC]. I went into the router and changed channels, which resolved the problem back then.

Setting up the new modem, here shows there are a lot of other wireless networks, and this makes picking the right channel even harder.
I picked up a free software app and looked at the networks here. Most are all set to defaults, and this was how I set mine up:

·
Cool Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply veryoldschool! I am really not sure how to interpret the graphs you included with your post. I am using the 3600HGV for the wireless signal. I can look at how the wireless is setup, did you have some suggestions?

It appears to me that the HR34 may not be continuously connected to the internet and thereby misses pieces of the download. I don't know if I have a faulty CCK or if there is a problem with the wireless signal coming from the 3600HGV.

A thought just occurred to me. I have a Blu-Ray player connected wirelessly to the same 3600HGV and recently purchased and watched a movie (CinemaNow) without any pieces of the movie missing. During the 'streaming' I have a 'great' signal. So, it would appear there is a problem on the D* equipment side I think.

So, how to investigate where the 'communication' breakdown is occurring in reception of the 'streamed' file. I assume here that the 3600HGV is 'streaming' the content ok based on my use of it with the blu-ray player.

·
Super Moderator
42,754 Posts
oleo3ys said:
Thanks for the reply veryoldschool! I am really not sure how to interpret the graphs you included with your post. I am using the 3600HGV for the wireless signal. I can look at how the wireless is setup, did you have some suggestions?

It appears to me that the HR34 may not be continuously connected to the internet and thereby misses pieces of the download. I don't know if I have a faulty CCK or if there is a problem with the wireless signal coming from the 3600HGV.

A thought just occurred to me. I have a Blu-Ray player connected wirelessly to the same 3600HGV and recently purchased and watched a movie (CinemaNow) without any pieces of the movie missing. During the 'streaming' I have a 'great' signal. So, it would appear there is a problem on the D* equipment side I think.

So, how to investigate where the 'communication' breakdown is occurring in reception of the 'streamed' file. I assume here that the 3600HGV is 'streaming' the content ok based on my use of it with the blu-ray player.
Tough to know which is the problem. If you have a laptop you might use this software to look at what's around:
http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider/

The picture I posted has my network on the left [2wire199] which you can see it's stronger than others on the same frequency.

If your levels are good and you don't have others close in strength, then there shouldn't be any reason to think it's your router. The CCK may not be the problem either.
Might try a few more VOD and see if it happens again.
I've seen AT&T "break" the connection, as I get a message on the TV saying it has and do I want to troubleshoot it. I cancelled and continued viewing.

·
Super Moderator
42,754 Posts
Another thing you might look at are the positions/locations of the router and the CCK.
Using that laptop software I was able to check signal levels at various places here and put together this so show how the signal drops:

Attachments

·
Cool Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Great! I like that link. That would help provide some useful information. Now to find an Apple compatible version! lol I see where you came up with the chart above now.

I do know that I have other wireless networks in close proximity.
So, I think what you are suggesting is that someone close by has a stronger wireless signal that is causing my signal to 'drop' pieces here and there?
You mentioned earlier about changing the channel. Where would I need to look to find out if that is possible on my router, the gateway? If you are using U-verse, do you also have the 3600HGV?

·
Super Moderator
42,754 Posts
oleo3ys said:
Great! I like that link. That would help provide some useful information. Now to find an Apple compatible version! lol I see where you came up with the chart above now.

I do know that I have other wireless networks in close proximity.
So, I think what you are suggesting is that someone close by has a stronger wireless signal that is causing my signal to 'drop' pieces here and there?
You mentioned earlier about changing the channel. Where would I need to look to find out if that is possible on my router, the gateway? If you are using U-verse, do you also have the 3600HGV?
I do have Uverse and I think your 3600HGV looks like the same and this 2Wire, which I've had two version of: the 3600 for internet only, and last week with TV service added, have the 3800.
If it is like this, then logging in with http://192.168.1.254 should get you into it and click on wireless for this page:

Which about half way down [on the real page] or in this image close to the bottom, you'll see where I've using #9

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.