DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Icon
706 Posts
rrivera said:
When using VOIP phone service (like AT&T), do you need to use a standard phone line to get caller ID? Would the caller ID come over the internet to the HRxx box?
If you use the regular phone line hooked to the back of the receiver, yes, the caller ID will come through.

·
Icon
810 Posts
rrivera said:
Will it work without a standard phone line?
Caller ID is a function of the VoIP service - which would be handled in your VoIP adapter and passed to the connected telephone (RJ-11) devices. The fact that it's being transmitted over the network is irrelevant - the packets have no meaning to the HR20 or any other network connected device other than the VoIP adapter.

Short answer - no phone line - no Caller ID via DirecTV IRDs.

·
Éminence grise
8,473 Posts
rrivera said:
Will it work without a standard phone line?
I disconnected the TELCO wires from my house phone wiring. I have a cordless phone plugged into one of the outlets and my DVRs plugged into two other outlets (one of them also connects to the Vonage adapter).

·
Lifetime Achiever
10,839 Posts
I had Verizon (land line) and CID worked well. I had problems every once in a while with it but that was it.

I switched to Vonage about 5 or 6 months ago and to my surprise CID has worked better with it. CID has only not showed up on my units a couple of times.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.