DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Hall Of Fame
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to toss my 2 cents out there regarding getting your HR20 to work right.

I have owned my HR20 since they came out into general release ~ 3 months now. I have gone through just about every bug out there that is related to my configuration including stability problems. Unwatchable Partial & Canceled bugs, reboots, lockups, partial lockups, and I a lot of bugs I am forgetting right now and most recently I had 3 lockups in the first few days of the latest release 0xFA.

I am now about 9 days into a working HR20 with the only bug being the one associated with manual recordings not working.

So you might be asking yourself what did I do to fix this box, reformat, remove the BBC, scarf ice a chicken?

Nope!

I did nothing. Not a single change to anything. After the last lockup blue screen lockup, It just starting working fine. After my last lockup where I had to hit the red button (and I have hit the red button a lot over the past 3 months), it has been running like a top.

So will reformatting your HR20 fix it for you, I doubt it, I don't know why it would, all a reformat would do is reset everything back to default values and perhaps (depending on what the HR20 actually does) block bad disk sectors on the hard drive. I guess you could just as well brick the hr20 in the reformat process as well.

Over the past 3 months I have seen a bunch of people offer up "fixes" that span everything to cooling fans, telling people that they must have a UPS, removing BBCs to fix stability issues, resetting or telling that they should do a total reformatting of the HR20. Personally I think that for most folks they are just a placebo. IMO there is just something wonky in the programming inside of the HR20, and we can only hope they clean up the code and if you reformat you run the risk of bricking it.

My guess is that you are just as likely to have problems after a full format as you would if you just sacrificed a chicken to it. It is just a matter of time until what ever cause the software bugs in the HR20 to present themselves once you start loading it up with scheduling and recordings.

Like I said I am running 9 days now with no strange problems, that could change 30 sec from now or it might continue to run fine until the next release of code or longer. Who knows. I am glad it appears to be working well and recording what I program it to record, but I don't trust it, I keep my Sat-T60 DTiVo on my account as a backup unit and based on how many problems I had over the past 3 months I will likely keep my DTiVo for at least 3 - 6 months or at least as long as it takes for the HR20 to build a solid track record of success.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
btmoore said:
I am now about 9 days into a working HR20 with the only bug being the one associated with manual recordings not working.
Reset counter, Unwatchable Bug with recording of Amadeus on HDnet last night. :(

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.