DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Icon
764 Posts
hasan said:
They are the two little external boxes with a short cable on them that connect directly to the two satellite antenna inputs to the HR20. The main cables from the dish connect to the BBCs and the BBCs connect to the HR20.

BBC: Band Converter modules, might stand for B Band Converter or Broad Band Converter...can't recall.
Hasan, thanks for the explanation. I appreciate it. How about BSOD? That one sounds familiar, but *I cnnot place it.

Last week I actually used google to find out what OTA is Typed in OTA HD and that got me there. :D

·
I used to be a rocket scientist
12,182 Posts
How about BSOD?
Black Screen of Death, which is a black-screen unwatchable recording, in which you cannot FF, RW or play. You get nothing but a black screen. Sometimes the progress bar moves at the bottom, most of the time it doesn't. This is a play on the infamous Windows BSOD - Blue Screen of Death - system crash.

·
8 Posts
The best we can do is post our individual experiences, and look for commonalities.

I had a lot of the familiar problems with 0xFA, the worst of which was the live TV failing to come out of pause. The red button reset cleared up my trouble for a couple days, then came back.

I tried to do a reformat with customer service, but the key sequence wouldn't work for me. I'm willing to believe it was user error, but the CSR said she had some people whose boxes wouldn't reformat. We did the "reset everything" option from the menu, which she said is "the same thing" as a reformat (there are some differences, though). This wipes the drive of all recordings and settings, but keeps the last software update applied without having to re-download it.

After I did the "reset everything" things have been working very well. It's been 3 days so far.

·
Banned
1,199 Posts
btmoore said:
Just wanted to toss my 2 cents out there regarding getting your HR20 to work right.

I have owned my HR20 since they came out into general release ~ 3 months now. I have gone through just about every bug out there that is related to my configuration including stability problems. Unwatchable Partial & Canceled bugs, reboots, lockups, partial lockups, and I a lot of bugs I am forgetting right now and most recently I had 3 lockups in the first few days of the latest release 0xFA.

I am now about 9 days into a working HR20 with the only bug being the one associated with manual recordings not working.

So you might be asking yourself what did I do to fix this box, reformat, remove the BBC, scarf ice a chicken?

Nope!

I did nothing. Not a single change to anything. After the last lockup blue screen lockup, It just starting working fine. After my last lockup where I had to hit the red button (and I have hit the red button a lot over the past 3 months), it has been running like a top.

So will reformatting your HR20 fix it for you, I doubt it, I don't know why it would, all a reformat would do is reset everything back to default values and perhaps (depending on what the HR20 actually does) block bad disk sectors on the hard drive. I guess you could just as well brick the hr20 in the reformat process as well.

Over the past 3 months I have seen a bunch of people offer up "fixes" that span everything to cooling fans, telling people that they must have a UPS, removing BBCs to fix stability issues, resetting or telling that they should do a total reformatting of the HR20. Personally I think that for most folks they are just a placebo. IMO there is just something wonky in the programming inside of the HR20, and we can only hope they clean up the code and if you reformat you run the risk of bricking it.

My guess is that you are just as likely to have problems after a full format as you would if you just sacrificed a chicken to it. It is just a matter of time until what ever cause the software bugs in the HR20 to present themselves once you start loading it up with scheduling and recordings.

Like I said I am running 9 days now with no strange problems, that could change 30 sec from now or it might continue to run fine until the next release of code or longer. Who knows. I am glad it appears to be working well and recording what I program it to record, but I don't trust it, I keep my Sat-T60 DTiVo on my account as a backup unit and based on how many problems I had over the past 3 months I will likely keep my DTiVo for at least 3 - 6 months or at least as long as it takes for the HR20 to build a solid track record of success.
Same exact thing here (I never do manual records, so not sure if that's not working or not). My "run" has been about a month, which is good. Yet, I too have little faith in things not going south. Also have Dtivo working alongside the HR20, for peace and tranquility on the home front. Mine started acting normal the update before last, and in the interim, I even reconnected the HDMI cable (was using component). Have yet to reconnect the BBCs. Don't want to get too carried away.

·
Lifetime Achiever
21,331 Posts
Axecleaver said:
The best we can do is post our individual experiences, and look for commonalities.

I had a lot of the familiar problems with 0xFA, the worst of which was the live TV failing to come out of pause. The red button reset cleared up my trouble for a couple days, then came back.

I tried to do a reformat with customer service, but the key sequence wouldn't work for me. I'm willing to believe it was user error, but the CSR said she had some people whose boxes wouldn't reformat. We did the "reset everything" option from the menu, which she said is "the same thing" as a reformat (there are some differences, though). This wipes the drive of all recordings and settings, but keeps the last software update applied without having to re-download it.

After I did the "reset everything" things have been working very well. It's been 3 days so far.
Reformat and "reset everything" both leave the software downloaded, as it is stored in flash memory.

That said, there is at least one known difference. One, and I'm not sure which, brings up the initial setup screens again, the other does not.

Cheers,
Tom

·
AllStar
89 Posts
I gotta say, my experience with the Hr-20 has been very mixed. When it is working, I think it is a great box and very easy to use. The first month or so we had the box there were many problems (bad recordings, reboots, reformatting, etc...). Then I had found these forum and started to explore. I took into account all the tips I've seen here and started applying them.

Then came OxFA, I did a full re-format right after it downloaded. I had a flawless system for roughly a week. Now, after doing the same things I've been doing, I've had 5 resets/re-boots in the last 2 days! No rhyme or reason to this! I think I understand exactly what alot of us users have as a problem with this box....

We buy something, we expect it to work consistently. If this was a computer, I would be upset too. The general public is not going to understand what a BBC, AT9, etc... is. so how are they supposed to fix it? I work 50 hours a week and the last thing I want to do is come home and fiddle with the DVR for 2 hours.

Case in point, I was trying to explain to my wife what all I was doing to the box just recently.... she stopped me half-way through and said "Since when is it the consumer's responsibility to fix something they don't own??" She's right. When your apartment needs repairs, do you do it yourself, or do you call the landlord? Well in this case the landlord is D*, so I guess I better call again.

·
Icon
764 Posts
LameLefty said:
Black Screen of Death, which is a black-screen unwatchable recording, in which you cannot FF, RW or play. You get nothing but a black screen. Sometimes the progress bar moves at the bottom, most of the time it doesn't. This is a play on the infamous Windows BSOD - Blue Screen of Death - system crash.
AHA! That I understand. Thanks. So far haven't seen it, not exactly like that I have had 3 mornings where I turned on my tv, and it looked like bsod, but I could hit the info button on the hr remote and it would show what channel it was on. But had to change channels to get it alive again. This morning it did not happen. The only difference is I switched from my HDMI output to Comoponent yesterday. Maybe thats why it didn't happen. Or just blind luck! Thanks.

·
Hall Of Fame
2,670 Posts
btmoore said:
My guess is that you are just as likely to have problems after a full format as you would if you just sacrificed a chicken to it. It is just a matter of time until what ever cause the software bugs in the HR20 to present themselves once you start loading it up with scheduling and recordings.
Have you tried it? I think a chicken would be a small expense to get this thing stable!

·
Mentor
44 Posts
Meklos said:
Did you / have you rebooted since your unit recorded the unwatchable shows? Were there / have there been any shows recorded between the unwatchable shows were recorded and the time you viewed them and the last reboot?

In other words, were there any successful recordings *after* the unwatchables were recorded but *before* a reset?
Yes... it has successfully recorded other shows since the unwatchables... and I haven't rebooted it since the last update (it froze up not longer after coming back after the update).

·
Mentor
44 Posts
Would it make sense, and it would it be possible, to keep a running tally of the similar issues we're having somewhere (somehow) on the forum... w/o all the conversation detail?

It seems we all have problems, many of them similar... where if we kept direct track up them someone could present them to D* and say hey... 95/100 HR20 owners had one or more BSOD in the past day / week / month, etc... 80/100 had to reboot... etc...

I would suspect D* is keeping track of this on their own for those who actually call customer service (at least they should be), but I know most of us don't as we have better things to do than wait on hold.

Perhaps something like the Wishlist Survey... but w/ questions polling the top 10 or 20 issues we have that can keep a running tally.

Just a thought...

·
Legend in his own mind...
324 Posts
Swartzy said:
Would it make sense, and it would it be possible, to keep a running tally of the similar issues we're having somewhere (somehow) on the forum... w/o all the conversation detail?

It seems we all have problems, many of them similar... where if we kept direct track up them someone could present them to D* and say hey... 95/100 HR20 owners had one or more BSOD in the past day / week / month, etc... 80/100 had to reboot... etc...

I would suspect D* is keeping track of this on their own for those who actually call customer service (at least they should be), but I know most of us don't as we have better things to do than wait on hold.

Perhaps something like the Wishlist Survey... but w/ questions polling the top 10 or 20 issues we have that can keep a running tally.

Just a thought...
I've asked for a sticky listing the current bugs, and Earl said he's trying to figure out a good way to do it.

·
8 Posts
steve0212 said:
I did a reformat on 11/30 and the recorder has not missed a recording since. Prior to that, it was either missing them or the recordings would not play. I figured I had nothing to lose. Since my reformat, I have still had two issues:
  • A Lockup requiring the red button
  • Pause would not restart on an NFL ST HD Channel. I had to change the channel and come back to get it playing again. Strange.

But at least it is again recording - which for me is major progress.
The recorder worked for a while and stopped again. It has not recorded any shows since Sunday night - maybe since I watched NFL ST. To answer someone else, I did not do any of the interactive stuff except hit yellow to clear the prompt...

·
Legend in his own mind...
324 Posts
steve0212 said:
The recorder worked for a while and stopped again. It has not recorded any shows since Sunday night - maybe since I watched NFL ST. To answer someone else, I did not do any of the interactive stuff except hit yellow to clear the prompt...
Hmm... yet another report of "I watched NFL ST, my DVR broke".

Hope they fixed that in this build...

·
Legend
159 Posts
Regarding Sunday Ticket -- I noticed one huge difference this week: I could change the screen format on the SD broadcasts (previously they were locked in stretch mode). The price I had to pay, apparently, was that the interactive features didn't work at all this week.

I think I may be headed for a reset, though. The background on all my menu screens turned from blue to black on Saturday. So far, besides that everything seems to be fine. But I wonder if the menu screen changing to black is a bad omen. Now where did I put that chicken. . .

·
Hall Of Fame
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
btmoore said:
I am now about 9 days into a working HR20 with the only bug being the one associated with manual recordings not working.
Reset counter, Unwatchable Bug with recording of Amadeus on HDnet last night. :(

·
Mentor
44 Posts
Meklos said:
I've asked for a sticky listing the current bugs, and Earl said he's trying to figure out a good way to do it.
Cool... that's a start. In addition to that I think keeping track of the number of occurances could be helpful (hopefully to someone).

·
9 Posts
hasan said:
They are the two little external boxes with a short cable on them that connect directly to the two satellite antenna inputs to the HR20. The main cables from the dish connect to the BBCs and the BBCs connect to the HR20.

BBC: Band Converter modules, might stand for B Band Converter or Broad Band Converter...can't recall.
When I upgraded to HD, three guys from Ironwood came out (don't get me started on Ironwood), took the old dish down off the wall, put the five LNB dish in the same spot, connected the existing coax to the dish, came inside and swapped the SD DTV Tivo for the HR20. I didn't have an external boxes before and I don't have any now ... is this good, bad or irrelevant.

What I do have is pretty severe unwatchable bug problems -- which I suspect might be from the machine trying to write over bad HD sectors or maybe it is a tuner issue. (Rebooting doesn't halp any, haven't tried reformatting.)

So I guess my question is, should I call DTV and say "hey, send over the BBCs I don't have" or call them and say "send over a new HR20" or call and ask for both?

Thanks

·
Cool Member
23 Posts
I just got my HR20 and it has been running for 2 days now and no problems yet. I hope I don't need some kind of voodoo to keep it running. But if this OS is some kind of Linux, I can say that disk problems will cause strange errors. I recently had to purchase a new hard disk and reload Fedora Core 6 on my computer because of disk errors and reformatting did not improve it.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.