DBSTalk Forum banner

Should DirecTV have official representation in this forum?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 76 69.1%
  • Earl doesn't work for DirecTV???

Votes: 34 30.9%
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Icon
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As much as I, and most other people here, appreciate the incredible task that Earl has assumed as an unofficial conduit to DirecTV and the great source of information that he is, I think it's time that DirecTV step up to the plate and have official representation on this board. TiVo has been doing it at TiVo Community Forums, why can't DirecTV?

So the poll is simple, should DirecTV be officially represented on this board as a source of information and respond directly to reported problems? Yes or No.

· Registered
31,115 Posts
Let's see...thousands of D*TV emplyees and doerns in management...people in several different business units...hmmm....who would even begin to be a realistic source of information (depending on the specific topic).... :rolleyes:

Good idea on paper, but....

It's kinda like asking Mr. Goodwrench to speak for GM - not exactly a viable option.

· Icon
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It certainly is a viable option and has been done by other companies. An official DirecTV HR20 forum could have a couple or so HR20 engineers that would be the official source of information about problems, fixes and to be able to report problems to.

Think of how many fewer support calls they would get if they had an official forum where people could get answers to their problems instead of the totally-removed-from-reality CSRs that man their phone lines.

In San Diego, we have an HDTV forum that has operated since OTA HDTV was beginning to become available. There is an engineer from each station that officially represents the station regarding technical issues, which used to be much more common 7 years ago. Anytime someone has an audio/video problems that they think is station-related an engineer will respond to their question and tell them if it was a hardware or software issue at the station. It was a way early HDTV adopters could determine whether it was their problem or not.

Oh, and by the way, Mr. GoodWrench isn't a real person. That's just a lame actor portraying a character :rolleyes:. I think a more realistic analogy would be like Microsoft having their software engineers be represented on their website with technical articles and Q&A. Oh wait, Microsoft is much larger than DirecTV and they already do that.

· DBSTalk Club Member
146 Posts
I voted no, it would be a trainwreck. I have already seen what happens over at TC when things don't happen the way or in the timeframe folks expect. It turns into a massive flame-fest

Besides, Directv already has an "Official" support forum:

· Hall Of Fame
1,308 Posts
I'm all for it - with the understanding that often times all we would hear is the PR canned responses that CSRs read from.

But if D* authorized one of it's software engineer's to come on the board and actually speak - now that would be something.

It could make all the difference in the world for a an engineer to come on and explain the technical obstacles they are facing on one feature or another. That is, assuming we believe him/her.

· Godfather
284 Posts
I think we get a straighter scoop from Earl than we'd ever get from an official D* representative, since they would only be allowed to release publicly available info. As it stands, we get some inside info from Earl that's not "official" from D*, and it's 99.99% accurate without all the BS bureaucracy that'd we get from D*.

So, keep up the excellent work Earl! I'm glad we have you here.

· Hall Of Fame
1,765 Posts
I voted no. I like the info that we get from Earl as an "outsider" and feel that if someone from D* was here trying to answer the questions we would end up getting the "we can't say" line more than we do with Earl.

:lol:

I appreciate everything Earl does here and am glad he tells us as much as he does in the first place.

· Lifetime Achiever
21,244 Posts
Earl is awesome. His efforts are greatly appreciated.

What Earl can't provide is an official list of the big, well known defects. I would very much like to hear from Directv that they have seen the defects, if they have been able to replicate them consistently, and what the big picture on solution would be.

I do not want commitments. We can see how the OTA commitment has caused much angst and furor here. But just to have Directv acknowledge the problems directly would be very helpful.

Cheers,
Tom

· Hall Of Fame
1,237 Posts
I chose yes. However, to see the outright lies and just complete wrong info on the other boards by D* employees I would rather see someone from D* who does have more knowledge and enough of an opinion to acknoledge that "so and so" might not be optimal.

· DBSTalk Club Member
527 Posts
Dave_S said:
Directv already has an "Official" support forum:
That is also a user to user forum. Has anybody noticed there is much more information available in user to user forums. Company run sites can have a big liability problem and I want as little of my subscription fees going to lawyers as possible.

· Godfather/Supporter
854 Posts
With the vindictiveness we've seen on the part of some users any DirecTV engineer who freely associates himself publicly here is either insane or a sadist..
I do not think Direct TV needs to be involved directly with this forum..

· Hall Of Fame
2,463 Posts
sorahl said:
With the vindictiveness we've seen on the part of some users any DirecTV engineer who freely associates himself publicly here is either insane or a sadist...
I think you meant to say masochist, not sadist.

· DBSTalk Club Member
721 Posts
jkc120 said:
I think we get a straighter scoop from Earl than we'd ever get from an official D* representative, since they would only be allowed to release publicly available info. As it stands, we get some inside info from Earl that's not "official" from D*, and it's 99.99% accurate without all the BS bureaucracy that'd we get from D*.

So, keep up the excellent work Earl! I'm glad we have you here.
Couldn't have said it better myself. I voted no.

· Lifetime Achiever
30,090 Posts
What... you guys don't like me?

Just kidding...

· Registered
31,115 Posts
TomF said:
Oh, and by the way, Mr. GoodWrench isn't a real person. That's just a lame actor portraying a character :rolleyes:.
Really? DUH. :rolleyes:

I hope no one is holding their breath on this - all those blue faces paint a scarey picture. :D

Earl Bonovich said:
What... you guys don't like me?

Just kidding...
Works fine for most of us already Earl. Thanks.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.