DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Mentor
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've started to download the new Top Gear season 18 from FinalGear.com using Vuze, (a bit torrent client) and noticed that Vuze supports the Directv mediashare transcoding.

I'm downloading 720p HD versions of the show, and they seem to play OK on the HR24, but I was wondering if anyone had any tips or tricks to optimize the playback.

· Legend
136 Posts
"Orient Express" said:
I've started to download the new Top Gear season 18 from FinalGear.com using Vuze, (a bit torrent client) and noticed that Vuze supports the Directv mediashare transcoding.

I'm downloading 720p HD versions of the show, and they seem to play OK on the HR24, but I was wondering if anyone had any tips or tricks to optimize the playback.
Transcoding on the fly can be a burden on the PC serving your file, especially if the video is HD and the specs of the PC. It maybe worth reencoding each file one time to a format that is natively supported. I believe that would be be MPEG2 video in a container like m2ts with mp3 audio. I will have to double check when I get home.

Brings up a recurring question for me why mediashare has not natively supported media encoded in H.264 with ac3 audio, which is similar to what is used for the satellite feeds.

Maybe someone else can share ideas. I am also not familiar with Vuze.

· Mentor
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did the transcoding as a batch. Vuze has a Directv specific encoder, and while it takes a while to do the transcoding, the result is pretty good. My only wish is that I could figure out how to get AC3, but the original stream may be just stereo.

· Icon
712 Posts
Orient Express said:
I did the transcoding as a batch. Vuze has a Directv specific encoder, and while it takes a while to do the transcoding, the result is pretty good. My only wish is that I could figure out how to get AC3, but the original stream may be just stereo.
D* Media Share Beta audio is only MP3 2 channel.

· Icon
712 Posts
bobnielsen said:
That is true if program stream (PS) format is used. With transport stream (TS) you can also have DD5.1/AC3 audio.
I use Tversity 1.8b as my media server. I just tried streaming a TS DD 5.1 movie, and the DD 5.1 audio streamed as 2ch. How do you get D* Media Share Beta to play AC3 5.1?

Same movie streams to my PS3 as AC-3 5.1, and it sounds great!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.