DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Mentor
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine has d* and he has the locals from new york, standard def that is. Anyway he said that he just called and they activated them for $1.25 per channel. Anyway I called this morning and they took down info and said they had to submit the waiver claim which could take 45 days. Does this sound right? By the way is there anyway anyone knows of to see when standard def locals will be added, because everytime I call of course they say soon.

· Cool Member
29 Posts
Yes it does sound right.

Two possible things

1. It could be that your friend's LA/NY feeds were grandfathered.
2. It could be that within that zip code, locals channels aren't available. Waivers does take 45 days. DTV does submit this on your behalf

· Hall Of Fame
2,535 Posts
litzdog911 said:
Yep, that sounds right. Waivers are rarely granted anymore, so expect to be disappointed.
I know that several of our local stations have a blanket policy to deny all waiver requests. I know that there are quite a few areas that are in the sticks and trees and hills and whatever that cannot see the towers to pick up the OTA signals, and we don't have HD locals via D* yet, but the networks still deny, deny, deny.

If you actually can't get a signal, then it's up to you to pay for an expert to come out and do a site survey and submit the results to the station to get a waiver. Without the site survey, it's automatic denial.

· AllStar
93 Posts
The statement "prepare to be dissapinted" is dead on. I live behind a hill and can't get jack via OTA. I was grandfathered NBC, ABC & Fox when I had Dish because the signals are low quality where I live. I had to fight with our Grade A signal CBS station and had to prove I could not get a signal. it took me a few months, 3 letters and 5 phone calls to get that last waiver.

I faxed it over to DTV and it was no problem to get the netwroks out of NY since I had already done the work.

A person that lives near us and get's perfect reception from our local CBS managed to get a waiver from them to get the HD signal out of NY because they can't provide one. The parent company is in bankruptcy so they won't be offering HD any time soon.

Good Luck.

4 Posts
Sharkie_Fan said:
I know that several of our local stations have a blanket policy to deny all waiver requests. I know that there are quite a few areas that are in the sticks and trees and hills and whatever that cannot see the towers to pick up the OTA signals, and we don't have HD locals via D* yet, but the networks still deny, deny, deny.

If you actually can't get a signal, then it's up to you to pay for an expert to come out and do a site survey and submit the results to the station to get a waiver. Without the site survey, it's automatic denial
Can anyone help me locate an expert to do site survey? Who do I contact locally? Yes I lost my networks from Dish!
I am situated with the back of my house next a mountain and hills and trees is the only view I have for several hundred feet, then it is more hills and trees. I have tried to install an antenna, but could not get a signal. Probably the only way I could get a signal is to have it piped in or install a 1000 foot mast and put an antenna on it. The local cable company isn't going to come up in this subdivision (not enough homes to warrant the expense of running the cable and not getting enough subscribers).:nono2:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.