DBSTalk Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Beware the Attack Basset
24,453 Posts
I understand and know that the setting are just a start. Have tried moving and waiting in increments.
The first step that cannot be "close enough" or "it worked with the previous dish" is that the mast must be plumb (perfectly vertical with measurements at 90 degrees apart). Without completing the first step, none of the other procedures will work. Installers use a tool called a "torpedo level" with a v-groove edge for pipe and tubing. Harbor Freight sells one for $2.99 and Amazon has one for $3.99 if you don't have one already

The second step is a little harder as you have to know how to read the scales on the dish. Any chance you could attach a picture of your elevation scale setting? Improperly setting the elevation is perhaps the leading cause of not being able to find satellites (or at least right up there with bad LNBs and bent dishes).

Refer to this image if you can't post a picture:
Head Eye Human body Slope Font

If you didn't get the skew right, you should at least be able to find a satellite (72.7W or 119W depending on the dish) with the proper elevation.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The first step that cannot be "close enough" or "it worked with the previous dish" is that the mast must be plumb (perfectly vertical with measurements at 90 degrees apart). Without completing the first step, none of the other procedures will work. Installers use a tool called a "torpedo level" with a v-groove edge for pipe and tubing. Harbor Freight sells one for $2.99 and Amazon has one for $3.99 if you don't have one already

The second step is a little harder as you have to know how to read the scales on the dish. Any chance you could attach a picture of your elevation scale setting? Improperly setting the elevation is perhaps the leading cause of not being able to find satellites (or at least right up there with bad LNBs and bent dishes).

Refer to this image if you can't post a picture:
View attachment 32028
If you didn't get the skew right, you should at least be able to find a satellite (72.7W or 119W depending on the dish) with the proper elevation.
Thanks for the input. Yes the shaft is verticle used level. The picture you show shows a deviation from the nut for the pointer. I will check it again. I have reached out to get an installer with the meter to come aim it. Thanks to all that have tried to help.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
24,453 Posts
The picture you show shows a deviation from the nut for the pointer.
That's why I offered the picture. Many don't know that the Elevation Indicator (often painted red) is the "pointer". In this case, the pointer is the edge of the metal rather than the center of the bevel. On some dishes, the reference point is the center of the bolt but that's not the case with DISH and DIRECTV.

If you could post a picture of yours, we could tell you if you had it set correctly.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I understand and know that the setting are just a start. Have tried moving and waiting in increments.
Make sure your Wally is not on tuner 0. This happens all the time especially if you run a check switch with no dish hooked up. To resolve this, press the house button 3 times>go down to "Dish"> go over to tuner 0, switch it to tuner 1, then AGAIN select tuner 1. This will force this satellite signal to come if its properly aimed.

·
Registered
36 Posts
also seen same for H3
what the heck is the non-existing "tuner 0" ?
It's something that gives me a lot of trouble calls. Something happens where if the receiver looses signal from the dish, or the coax gets disconnected the receiver will go on tuner 0 by default. Most of the time it will resolve itself, sometimes it won't. It's especially common on wally's, hoppers on 44 switches, and hopper duo's. I don't know why its in the software, it shouldn't even be in there.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts