DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Mentor
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess I can chalk this up under the just wishing section, but I would really like to see more info in the guide data such as original data and episode #. This is really helpfull when we look for what episode was or was not recorded. Of course it would even be nice to have info such as all the actors, producors, etc. But episode # and original data is the most important to me.

·
Legend
144 Posts
I completely agree.

Also, one thing they MUST make an option--PLEASE--is to not make us hit the "Guide" button twice to get the actual...GUIDE. That first screen is totally useless to me. I imploreth thee, DTV, make this an option!

·
Hall Of Fame
2,496 Posts
uteotw said:
I completely agree.

Also, one thing they MUST make an option--PLEASE--is to no make us hit the "Guide" button twice to get the actual...GUIDE. That first screen is totally useless to me. I imploreth thee, DTV, make this an option!
Thats something many of us have wanted since the R15 came out. I hate having to hit it 2x to get to the guide. If I want filters have me hit some othe button when i'm in the guide.

·
Legend
183 Posts
As has been suggested by others, the way it should be is 1 push for the guide and 2 for the filters, essentially reversing the way it is now. I'd like to see a list type guide like TiVo has.

·
AllStar
68 Posts
I'd like to see the Letterbox indicator in the Guide grid, not just the HD indicator. I'm not really interested in recording movies that have been cropped, so I always appreciated the LB indicator in the Tivo Guide grid. Many of the movies shown even on Showtime's HD channel are not HD and not even in letterbox, so it would be a big timesaver to be able to see the LB symbol right in the schedule grid and not have to highlight each listing in order to find out if it's in letterbox or not.

Just something I'd like to add to the wishlist.

·
Legend
239 Posts
Rob55 said:
As has been suggested by others, the way it should be is 1 push for the guide and 2 for the filters, essentially reversing the way it is now. I'd like to see a list type guide like TiVo has.
It's not quite the tivo list guide, but did you know you can get the HR20 to show all the upcoming shows for 1 channel at a time? When you are in the guide, use the left arrow to highlight the channel in the far left column such as ESPN. Now hit the info button. You will be taken to a new screen that takes a while to populate, but you will end up with 2 weeks worth of ESPN. To get another channel you have to go back to the normal guide and repeat the procedure. I find this a good way to tag shows I want to record on HBO or HDNET Movies for the next 2 weeks.

·
Godfather
320 Posts
f300v10 said:
It's not quite the tivo list guide, but did you know you can get the HR20 to show all the upcoming shows for 1 channel at a time? When you are in the guide, use the left arrow to highlight the channel in the far left column such as ESPN. Now hit the info button. You will be taken to a new screen that takes a while to populate, but you will end up with 2 weeks worth of ESPN. To get another channel you have to go back to the normal guide and repeat the procedure. I find this a good way to tag shows I want to record on HBO or HDNET Movies for the next 2 weeks.
NICE TIP!!!

·
Legend
183 Posts
f300v10 said:
Yes, as a matter of fact someone else mentioned this a week or two ago.:) It tried it then and found it a bit tedious waiting for the list to populate. Though it is helpful to see what's on a channel long term, the TiVo list guide was neat because it allowed me to quickly see each channel's lineup for the evening by simply hitting the up and down arrows. Trying to do something similar with the HR-20 is tedious at best (I like to check what's on History, History Int., National Geo, Discovery, Disc. Science & Disc. Times channels and the HD channels each night to see if anything peaks my curiosity). I don't bother with the networks as I've already set up series passes for the stuff I want to watch. Anway, I appreciate the info.:D

·
Legend
136 Posts
A perfect example of short comings the grid style of the HR20 guide - - - I totally missed recording "Apollo 13" on UHD last night. I just happened to tune in and caught it about 2/3 of the way through. And, after searching the title, it was the ONLY airing of the movie in HD. I would have caught it if I was checking the TiVo style grid. I understand that is a TiVo patent. Likely, it won't ever make it to this DVR.

·
Mentor
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
But does anyone know if it is a Tivo Patent to just show some more additional information on a show in the listing guide, for example the episode # and original air date. It can be a pain when I am trying to tape something mid season like one of those MTV shows that repeats every episode every 2 hours, and I don't know which one is episode 1, 2, etc.

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
Rob55 said:
A great idea, and "seems" simple to implement. Although if it was around on previous boxes, it worries me that they didn't change it then.

·
Icon
777 Posts
hasan said:
A great idea, and "seems" simple to implement. Although if it was around on previous boxes, it worries me that they didn't change it then.
Same here. If they haven't changed it on the previous boxes, why would they change it now? :(

·
Legend
239 Posts
jimbo713 said:
Upon re-reading this thread - f300v10 - THAT is a perfect work-around so i won't miss those "Apollo 13" moments again! Thanks!
I try to look at TNT HD, UHD, HDNet Movies and HBO that way at least once a week to find and set a recording for the shows/movies I might want to watch. It doesn't take that long, and then you don't have to worry about missing the rare gem on channels like UHD or TNT.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.