DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Cool Member
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
WAOH i cant watch a channel while another is being recorded ?
This was one of the reasons my parents (and I) wanted this receiver
Is it because both of the SAT in connections in the back are not connected ?
Do I need a Dish Pro Plus Separator?

Dish Network ViP722


Thanks,
Alfa147x
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
2,010 Posts
The 722 has three tuners that can be used for watching or recording. You must have both sat tuner inputs connected to the dish.

If you are running the receiver in Dual mode one sat tuner is available to TV1 and one is available to TV2. If you have an OTA antenna connected, you also have access to the OTA tuner from TV1.

If you are running the receiver in Single mode you have access to both sat tuners from TV1 as well as the OTA tuner, if connected.

A tuner can either be recording a program or displaying a live program but not both at the same time. If the available tuners are busy recording, you can watch another available tuner or you can watch a recorded program. Clear as mud?
 

·
Godfather
Joined
·
491 Posts
alfa147x said:
WAOH i cant watch a channel while another is being recorded ?
This was one of the reasons my parents (and I) wanted this receiver
Is it because both of the SAT in connections in the back are not connected ?
Do I need a Dish Pro Plus Separator?

Dish Network ViP722

Thanks,
Alfa147x
You would be unable to view if your OTA tuner is busy recording... and WAOH is also OTA. Your 722 only has one OTA tuner.
 

·
Cool Member
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ChuckA said:
The 722 has three tuners that can be used for watching or recording. You must have both sat tuner inputs connected to the dish.

If you are running the receiver in Dual mode one sat tuner is available to TV1 and one is available to TV2. If you have an OTA antenna connected, you also have access to the OTA tuner from TV1.

If you are running the receiver in Single mode you have access to both sat tuners from TV1 as well as the OTA tuner, if connected.

A tuner can either be recording a program or displaying a live program but not both at the same time. If the available tuners are busy recording, you can watch another available tuner or you can watch a recorded program. Clear as mud?
Thanks clear a water

Ok so i have it running in single mode, now how do i get both SAT in connections connected? I don't know what switch i have but i have 4 LNBS (I think 1 oval dish 1 regular ) and on receiver I do have a DPP44 sitting around if needed

Thanks again,
Alfa
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
53,493 Posts
Go to menu 6-1-1 then the "check switch" screen. With only one cable connected one side will be empty. The other side will identify your dish and feeds.

The minimum you will need is a separator. A simple device that is NOT your common cable splitter or diplexer. It is labeled separator and should have come with your receiver. Disconnect the cable from the back of your receiver, run it to the separator and connect the separator to the receiver's two inputs.

If your dish has a DPP LNB on it with that extra dish wired in (as I expect) you should be able to run a check switch and wake up that second tuner.

But tell us what you see on the Check Dish screen before you get too far into this.
 

·
Cool Member
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
James Long said:
Go to menu 6-1-1 then the "check switch" screen. With only one cable connected one side will be empty. The other side will identify your dish and feeds.

The minimum you will need is a separator. A simple device that is NOT your common cable splitter or diplexer. It is labeled separator and should have come with your receiver. Disconnect the cable from the back of your receiver, run it to the separator and connect the separator to the receiver's two inputs.

If your dish has a DPP LNB on it with that extra dish wired in (as I expect) you should be able to run a check switch and wake up that second tuner.

But tell us what you see on the Check Dish screen before you get too far into this.
I just checked the box it came in there is no separator :( but they arnt all that much on ebay

http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/2865/img9510go4.jpg
http://img523c.imageshack.us/img523/7641/img9513zt5.jpg

Thanks again
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
53,493 Posts
You have a good dish ... but the "with separator" throws me off.
Is it possible it got installed at some other odd location in the setup?

Do you have other receivers?
 

·
Cool Member
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
James Long said:
You have a good dish ... but the "with separator" throws me off.
Is it possible it got installed at some other odd location in the setup?

Do you have other receivers?
No just one receiver just one tv all i can see from the ground is the 2 dish's on the roof
One oval the other round

So all i need is a DPP separator ?
 

·
AllStar
Joined
·
66 Posts
alfa147x said:
I just checked the box it came in there is no separator :( but they arnt all that much on ebay

http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/2865/img9510go4.jpg
http://img523c.imageshack.us/img523/7641/img9513zt5.jpg

Thanks again
Ohhh, I think your installer has made a mistake. This is shown in that the system detects a seperator on the line but that you don't have both tuners showing the signal. Is it possible he connected the seperator at the dish itself and ran a single cable down to the reciever? :eek2:

Anyways, no seperators or switches are included in the ViP 722 box. The installer provides these. A 'free' install with a 722 includes one of those seperators.
 

·
Cool Member
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
DishSatUser said:
Ohhh, I think your installer has made a mistake. This is shown in that the system detects a seperator on the line but that you don't have both tuners showing the signal. Is it possible he connected the seperator at the dish itself and ran a single cable down to the reciever? :eek2:

Anyways, no seperators or switches are included in the ViP 722 box. The installer provides these. A 'free' install with a 722 includes one of those seperators.
ok so my only option is to get on the roof and see wtf is up and how things are connected ?
 

·
Icon
Joined
·
643 Posts
alfa147x said:
ok so my only option is to get on the roof and see wtf is up and how things are connected ?
I think we are saying to call the installer back.

There should be a separator connected to two short cables (only a few inches long) that are then connected to the two inputs on the receiver. If it is there, you might check if one connection is loose.

PS For future people reading this thread, the separator is sometimes packed in a weird out of sight corner of the receiver box. I once look through a box a year later and found one. ;)
 

·
Cool Member
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
kstuart said:
I think we are saying to call the installer back.

There should be a separator connected to two short cables (only a few inches long) that are then connected to the two inputs on the receiver. If it is there, you might check if one connection is loose.

PS For future people reading this thread, the separator is sometimes packed in a weird out of sight corner of the receiver box. I once look through a box a year later and found one. ;)
if this helps any the last time the installer came was when we had moved from SD -> HD
He installed the VIP211 so they didnt send an installer this time, i would like to avoid having to call in installer over a $10 fix (if that is the problem) because i wont be home on and off for a bit

thanks again
 

·
Cool Member
Joined
·
27 Posts
ChuckA said:
If you are running the receiver in Dual mode one sat tuner is available to TV1 and one is available to TV2.
In this scenario (2 tvs on the 722), if TV1's tuner is recording something and I am on TV1 and change the channel, will it switch to the TV2 tuner and change it's channel?
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
2,010 Posts
No.
 

·
Cool Member
Joined
·
27 Posts
ChuckA said:
From the reading I've been doing it seems that if I set the 722 to default to TV2 for recordings I will be good in our main TV room and my initial post won't be an issue since the shows will be record on the secondary tuner. It isn't very often that we have two shows recording at the same time. Thanks.
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
2,010 Posts
We frequently have three shows recording at the same time, while we watch pre-recorded programs. I don't see much reason to watch live TV any more.
 

·
Legend
Joined
·
136 Posts
alfa147x said:
WAOH i cant watch a channel while another is being recorded ?
This was one of the reasons my parents (and I) wanted this receiver
Is it because both of the SAT in connections in the back are not connected ?
Do I need a Dish Pro Plus Separator?

Dish Network ViP722

Thanks,
Alfa147x
You need to be in single mode and you need both SAT connections on the 722 connected. The installer should have connected them. I would call Dish and get them to fix it.
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top