DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Cool Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I called DTV last week to order a HR20-700 to replace my DTivo unit & the best deal I could get was $99. Didn't the orginal announcement say they'd swap out HR10's for free? Should I keep calling until I get a different CSR?

customer since 2001
TC+/HBO/HD

·
DBSTalk Club Member
561 Posts
well, if something was wrong with your current HR10-250 and they had to replace it, they'd probably replace it with a HR20 for no charge, since they have no more HR10-250s.

·
Legend
129 Posts
denno said:
I called DTV last week to order a HR20-700 to replace my DTivo unit & the best deal I could get was $99. Didn't the orginal announcement say they'd swap out HR10's for free? Should I keep calling until I get a different CSR?

customer since 2001
TC+/HBO/HD
I don't think there was ever any official announcement that would upgrade you for free. However I did see it implied when people were concerned about spending upwards of $1000 for the HR10. I got mine upgraded for free and all I did was call and ask but it appears to be more difficult now. Perhaps when the demand drops off it will be possible to get it for free again.

·
Cool Member
24 Posts
I was told when i got my HR about a year ago that the upgrade was free. But after talking to retention i was able to keep the HR10 and get a HR20 for free. Still waiting for it though.

·
Cool Member
22 Posts
redfiver said:
well, if something was wrong with your current HR10-250 and they had to replace it, they'd probably replace it with a HR20 for no charge, since they have no more HR10-250s.
I called in a problem with my HR10-250 hoping to get a HR20 as a replacement. They said they would do it with no cost to me. When I got my package I had the HR10-250 in the box. I guess they still have a few of them.

·
Impossible Dreamer
5,525 Posts
denno said:

customer since 2001
TC+/HBO/HD
I also never saw anything official from D* about a free swap.

I'd would bet that you'll be able to get one for free down the line when the current HD programming moves to the new birds and is thus not available w/ the HR10. If you want to "swap" before then, $99 isn't a bad deal IMHO.

·
Cool Member
26 Posts
jmeitz said:
I was told when i got my HR about a year ago that the upgrade was free. But after talking to retention i was able to keep the HR10 and get a HR20 for free. Still waiting for it though.
This is exactly what I was told. I originally wanted to get it in August but they told me it (HR20) wouldn't be available until October in my area. I was fine with that and let sleeping dogs lie. Then last week, I contacted them about a problem I had with my R15. After they resolved the problem with the R15, I asked about when I could get my upgade to the HR20 and he told me that I would have to pay full price for the unit and there are no notes that show I was supposed to get the the free upgrade for the HR20 when it came out! I guess I am not as "special" of a customer as I was in August now when they offered the HR20 to me.

Oh well, I guess I just continue to enjoy the TiVo unit. I did get that for free for renewing the NFL Sunday Ticket so it wasn't a complete loss.

·
Cool Member
27 Posts
astayton said:
I called in a problem with my HR10-250 hoping to get a HR20 as a replacement. They said they would do it with no cost to me. When I got my package I had the HR10-250 in the box. I guess they still have a few of them.
Did you talk to customer retention? My HR10 died today. I asked the technical support guy to transfer me to customer retention because I wanted an HR20 instead of the HR10. He said he thought installation dept took care of that but I insisted he connect me to customer retention. I do have the protection plan. The girl at customer retention had a supervisor check and they said they would replace the HR10 with an HR20 for no charge. I sure hope that is what I receive.

I did get my original HR20 for no charge when they first came out. I called customer retention and very nicely said I wanted to confirm that I was getting it for free. Back then they seemed a bit more flexible than now.

·
1 Posts
I called them and asked for free upgrade, they said it could be done for $199. I followed up with what the local cable provider is offering and how they would upgrade all my equipment for free. They lowered the upgrade to $99, but also will discount my bill $10 on my programing package for 12 mo, $5 off HD Package for 12mo and free Stime and Hbo for 6 months. Free installation and dish upgrade and free relocation of DVR receiver that in my living room. All I asked them was "How are you going to keep me as your customer and not allow me to switch to cable." I'm happy with the response, but I pissed that I was sold by BBuy that it was going to be a free upgrade when local hd hit town. Happy Holidays

·
AllStar
87 Posts
thats funny I wanted my HR10-250 replaced with the same thing when it died a few days back and was supposed to get the same thing but got a new HR20 instead. Called D* and they said they were not sending out anymore HR10-250's even for the replacement program that I pay for. So I own a HR20 now that is a plus. And I did verify with access card department and there was no problem with me owning the HR20 since it was replacing my HR10-250 under the D* protection plan.

Mike

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.