DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

· Hall Of Fame
5,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a call from the VP of Customer Service's office this morning. My problem is that D* is telling me that I have to have approval from 2 different DMA markets to get DNS locals. I told the guy that I think it is wrong and that the problem is that there are 2 different markets for my one zip code since there are 2 different counties in this zip code. He said it was the FCC that said I have to get it from both markets.

I told him I did not believe that especially since I have talked to all of the presidents of my local DMA markets personally and they said that I dont need approval from the Tulsa DMA market just the Joplin one. I plan on calling the FCC tomorrow but if its anything like the last time I called they were less then helpful. Anyone know who I should talk to with the FCC? Also has anyone else had to have approval from 2 different DMA markets just to get the wavers approved?

I also told the guy that another reason I believe it to be incorrect on D* part is that the blackout page for the NFL Sunday Ticket shows that I am being blacked out for the Tulsa local channels even though I am not in the Tulsa DMA market. I think the guy was stumped by the time I got done with him.

· Registered
12,609 Posts
I predict much frustration joshjr. The FCC created a big mess with the whole waiver thing, so even if DirecTV is not properly interpreting your specific DMAs based on your address, the odds of finding satisfaction through the FCC, your local broadcasters, or DirecTV are slim. Let us know how it goes.

· Hall Of Fame
5,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
JDubbs413 said:
If you can receive one DMA or the other, they aren't going to grant you a waiver.
Tulsa locals are not my DMA and D* wont let me get them. Joplin which is my DMA D* does not carry. Even with a 50db antenna I can not get CBS or FOX. That is the reason that I am having a site test done. I need to for sure find out what I am supposed to be able to get with an antenna. My hope is that the signals are weak enough that I am granted DNS feed since my DMA market locals are not available to me.

· Registered
5,530 Posts
joshjr said:
Tulsa locals are not my DMA and D* wont let me get them. Joplin which is my DMA D* does not carry. Even with a 50db antenna I can not get CBS or FOX. That is the reason that I am having a site test done. I need to for sure find out what I am supposed to be able to get with an antenna. My hope is that the signals are weak enough that I am granted DNS feed since my DMA market locals are not available to me.
The waivers actually has nothing to do with your DMA. You need a waiver from every station that claims you are in their grade A/B coverage area, even if they are located in a different DMA.
It isn't unusual to be in the coverage area of two network affiliates, and have to get waivers from both of them. And DirecTV does not have any control over this, they just put your address into a system run by a separate comapny, and it tells them which stations require a waiver.

· Hall Of Fame
5,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thats not what the CBS president of my DMA market said. He said that I only need approval from my DMA market not an outside DMA market.

· Registered
5,530 Posts
joshjr said:
Thats not what the CBS president of my DMA market said. He said that I only need approval from my DMA market not an outside DMA market.
Well that isn't what the FCC regulations say, nor how the decisionmark database (the only FCC and station-approved database) actually works. Stations have coverage areas well outside their own DMA and are still allowed to claim you in their viewing area.

· Hall Of Fame
7,184 Posts
joshjr said:
Also has anyone else had to have approval from 2 different DMA markets just to get the wavers approved?
:wave:

When we had our cabin in Ortonville, MN. I needed to get approval from both Minneapolis and Sioux Falls, SD.

One of the stations I spoke with in Sioux Falls did state that they did in fact claim part of Ortonville as being in their DMA as well.

· Beware the Attack Basset
26,626 Posts
texasbrit said:
Well that isn't what the FCC regulations say, nor how the decisionmark database (the only FCC and station-approved database) actually works. Stations have coverage areas well outside their own DMA and are still allowed to claim you in their viewing area.
This is important information. Do you have a link you could offer?

· Registered
5,530 Posts
harsh said:
This is important information. Do you have a link you could offer?
I would if the DirecTV DNS web site (it's a link to decisionmark) was working. I have done a look up on several occasions in the last year and found multiple network affiliates listed by decisionmark for several zip codes. This is particularly the case where someone is close to the edge of one DMA - the service area of the affiliate in the adjacent DMA can extend well into the other DMA.

I can give you this as a quote:
What is an "unserved household?

A: The term "unserved household" means a household that: (a) cannot receive, through the use of a conventional, stationary, outdoor rooftop antenna, an over-the-air network signal of Grade B intensity as defined by the FCC; (b) is a subscriber to whom the moratorium applies; (c) is a subscriber whose dish is permanently attached to a recreational vehicle or a commercial truck; (d) is a subscriber to whom the C-band exemption applies; or (e) is subject to a waiver granted by the television network station.

Nothing in this paragraph, or in the other sections of the document, allows a household to be defined as "unserved" just because it does not receive a station in its DMA. If it is in the coverage area of ANY affiliate delivering a specific network, it is "served" by that network.

· Hall Of Fame
5,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah but you are counting on D* webb site being 100% accurate as well. I live 1 block away from an air port here in town and that can affect the signals coming in. D* says that Joplin locals are a grade A but I happen to disagree. Not only do I live near an airport I also live less then 5 miles from the end of Joplins DMA market. Those combined are reason enough for me to have a site test conducted to verify what I should be able to get. I am not just gonna take D* word for it.

· Hall Of Fame
5,581 Posts
joshjr said:
Yeah but you are counting on D* webb site being 100% accurate as well. I live 1 block away from an air port here in town and that can affect the signals coming in. D* says that Joplin locals are a grade A but I happen to disagree. Not only do I live near an airport I also live less then 5 miles from the end of Joplins DMA market. Those combined are reason enough for me to have a site test conducted to verify what I should be able to get. I am not just gonna take D* word for it.
It's your wallet have the signal test, and good luck fighting city hall.:)

· Hall Of Fame
5,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
boba said:
It's your wallet have the signal test, and good luck fighting city hall.:)
Actually the test is free because its a SD test and not a HD test. I confirmed that with the VP of Customer Service's office this morning.

· Lifetime Achiever
28,927 Posts
joshjr said:
Nothing wrong with getting the test done .. but as texasbrit was noting .. It's not just Joplin that you need to be worried about ..

· Hall Of Fame
5,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Doug Brott said:
Nothing wrong with getting the test done .. but as texasbrit was noting .. It's not just Joplin that you need to be worried about ..
I am not that concenred with the Tulsa DMA. They are 70-85 miles away from me and I can not get them with an antenna.

· Lifetime Achiever
28,927 Posts
joshjr said:
I am not that concenred with the Tulsa DMA. They are 70-85 miles away from me and I can not get them with an antenna.
:) .. well, that is fair enough .. :lol:

· Hall Of Fame
5,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
inkahauts said:
I'd make sure the tests prove you can't get either, that way niether can hold you up...
Thats the plan. We shall see what happens. I was told that I had to wait for a form about the test. Fill it out and mail it back before it could happen. So it will be awhile.

· Registered
5,530 Posts
joshjr said:
I am not counting on the DirecTV web site. Because it isn't DirecTV's web site, it is run by decisionmark which is the only authority on OTA reception as far as DNS is concerned (they are authorised by the FCC). It's not DirecTV that says you are in grade A, it's decisionmark. If you don't agree, then have the site test done.

What is your zip code, by the way?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.